WOLF.J
scarlettjames

Sugar Tax

WOLF.J

Pro

Tell me we don't need a sugar tax fat people!!, diabetes is literally killing everyman left, right, and centre, especially my Indian peoples!, who are at the most risk of type 2 diabetes. It got me uncle FFS.

On a serious note, I believe we need a sugar tax, esp. because I have a Lucozade addiction, and the cost of soda-sugar needs to increase to reduce the ease of access for the betterment of society.
scarlettjames

Con

1. If we are going to put a tax on sugar for diabetes. Are we going to put a tax on meat for heart disease? Milk for osteoporosis?
2. It's not just sugar that causes diabetes. Bacon, cows milk, white bread, fruit juice, and so much more, lead to diabetes.
3. Your body, your choice. People need to do research and learn what's good for your body and learn to reduce/eliminate consumption of these bad foods.
WOLF.J

Pro

Ok so I think your points have not been thought out properly.
Here's what have to say about them

"1. If we are going to put a tax on sugar for diabetes. Are we going to put a tax on meat for heart disease? Milk for osteoporosis?"

- We are not talking about meat or milk are we?!, its incredibly irrelevant!

"2.It's not just sugar that causes diabetes. Bacon, cows milk, white bread, fruit juice, and so much more, lead to diabetes."

- what sugarless fruit juice are you drinking?!, anyways I can't talk about milk and meat because poultry and dairy are both very much different to sugar.

3. "Your body, your choice. People need to do research and learn what's good for your body and learn to reduce/eliminate consumption of these bad foods."

-one the common folk do not have access to information as much as you think
-you can still purchase sugar with a tax applied

Nonetheless, here are the points I am going to highlight

-Like any other product, increasing the price restricts the market segment, thus reducing your national obesity crisis
-Sugar literally has no nutritional value, AND IT CAUSES TOOTH DECAY
-Addiction is very much real, and the control aspect you talk off is not always a conscious discussion
-Withdrawal from sugar happens and it takes 2-8 weeks to detox
-Tax means more financial contribution towards for your public services

Depending on your response, I'll go into depth in round 3 on these highlighted bullet points.
scarlettjames

Con

I dont think you understand what I'm trying to say. Diabetes and heart disease can go hand in hand, so if we are going to try to reduce diabetes by taxing sugar, why aren't we going to reduce heart disease by taxing meat and dairy. They can be just as bad as processed food. People don't need to have access to information to understand that sugars, processed meats and foods, dairy, etc, are bad for them. I understand what you mean that a tax on sugar would reduce obesity, but I don't think it is fair or that it will work. There have been many studies on this.
http://www.abc.net.au...
http://news.cornell.edu...
WOLF.J

Pro

You said "People need to do research and learn what's good for your body and learn to reduce/eliminate consumption of these bad foods.", therefore they need access to information.

Diabetes is not the MO, sugar is, diabetes is just an example, so meat and dairy are irrelevant to this topic. Plus you've not discussed the addiction and health decay aspects of sugar. I might have to restart this debate w/ someone else soon, sorry but I feel you haven't thought about yr arguments thoroughly.
scarlettjames

Con

Yes I did say people need to do research, but even if people don't have access to that info (like you said), they still know its not good for them. Meat and dairy are absolutely relevant to this topic. You said "Tell me we don't need a sugar tax fat people!!, diabetes is literally killing everyman left, right, and centre." I'm saying to you sugar is not the only obesity problem, so are meat and dairy. I'm not discussing the addiction and health aspects because, yes they are bad. There are a lot of bad things in this world and we can't put a tax on everything. I'm saying a sugar tax isn't going to help with obesity. It's easy to think, sugar causes obesity, so put a tax on sugar. But sometimes simple solutions don't work. Food taxes would be detrimental not only to these processed foods producers, but to the farmers producing sugar beets and fruits down to retailers and small shop owners. It would also promote cross border shopping and illegal trade to avoid the tax. So whats the solution? Education not taxation. Governments should be encouraging people to eat healthy, not taxing them. I'm sorry you felt like my points were not thought out well.
Posted by WOLF.J 6 months ago
WOLF.J
all of the points are jokes, lol scarlett!