polka-dots323
bluemooncowza

Sugar cookies are better than chocolate chip cookies.

polka-dots323

Pro

Suger cookies are better than chocolate chip cookies. :) They are better becuase you can decorate them with icing, and you feed them to Santa. Also, people who are allergic to chocolate can eat them
bluemooncowza

Con

WEll as you have stated that sugar cookies are "better" because 1. you can decorate them and 2. people who are alleric to chocolate can eat them.

1. You can decorate any cookie. Some (the burnt ones) are less subjective to the cause and are usually tossed into the garbage, but none the less any cookie can bee "decorated." I myself perfer to decorat the chocolate chip ones.

2. People are allergic to many things, not just chocolate. You have heard of soybean replaces the classic cocoa in chocoalte for some chocolate cookies. There is also the dibetic cookies aswell.

The classic chocolate chip cookie is what many people favor. It halso has more of a variety and taste to this dessert. Sugar cookies are, well, very plain. dough + sugar(sprinkles)= sugar cookies. Most people perfer the chocolate cookie over the sugar because the unique taste of chocolate chip as compared to the sugar cookie.
polka-dots323

Pro

My opponent has stated that chocolate chip cookies should be considered better because it has more variety and taste.

Sugar cookies can be loaded with variety. You can add pretty much anything you want to them: frosting, sprinkles, and other toppings. Sugar cookies are meant for this!

" I myself perfer to decorat the chocolate chip ones."

You may, but don't you think that the chips on the cookies with disfigure the design, making it less pretty to eat? Sugar cookies are meant to be decorated.

Another one of my points is that sugar cookies have existed long before chocolate chip cookies. Although this doesn't make them better, they had created a beginning to all the cookies we have today. Chocolate chip cookies wouldn't exist without sugar cookies.

"People are allergic to many things, not just chocolate. You have heard of soybean replaces the classic cocoa in chocoalte for some chocolate cookies. There is also the dibetic cookies aswell. "

Yes, I am aware that people are allergic to many things besides chocolate. But, how real is a chocolate chip cookies without the chocolate? Soybean may help, but how good is it really? Soybean replicants are not as good as the real thing. Like you stated, people like the good old chocolate chip cookies. Don't you believe that the people who are allergic would prefer to eat a sugar cookie rather than a gross soybean or even diabetic ones?

Sugar cookies overall pretty much have less calories and are healthier. Sugar cookies also contain fiber. Overall, I believe that sugar cookies are better than chocolate chip cookies because they have "natural healthy benefits", more people are able to eat them due to allergies, they can have a lot of variety, or none at all depending on what you feel like, and there would be no chocolate chip cookie today if it wasn't for sugar cookies! :)
bluemooncowza

Con

I may now argue about what you have stated to be "true."
"Although this doesn't make them better, they had created a beginning to all the cookies we have today. Chocolate chip cookies wouldn't exist without sugar cookies."
It is true that Sugar cookies came before chocolate chip cookies. So what? It doesn't make them any better. In the link below it states that sugar is what first began the cookie. It also states the entire chocolate chip invention had nothing to do with Sugar Cookies. Instead they were actually thought of after a different cookie recipe.

http://whatscookingamerica.net...

"Soybean replicants are not as good as the real thing. Like you stated, people like the good old chocolate chip cookies. Don't you believe that the people who are allergic would prefer to eat a sugar cookie rather than a gross soybean or even diabetic ones?"
It is only an opinion of the taste of "gross soybean or even diabetic.." It is a preference that those people are able to choose. Saying that "Soybean replicants are not as good as the real thing." is an opinion, not a fact. I cannot say you are right or wrong because you have not given fact that they are better. Many people prefer soybean over other types of food regardless of their allergies or not.
"Sugar cookies overall pretty much have less calories and are healthier. Sugar cookies also contain fiber."
As do Sugar Cookies and Chocolate Chip cookies both contain fiber. It depends on your recipe. Cookies are not healthy, but mearly a desert made to satisfy humankind.
"...they have "natural healthy benefits"
Could you please be more specific next time for your turn?
Thank you and I am always waiting for your responce. :)
polka-dots323

Pro

"So what?"

Sugar cookies were like the basis of cookies today. Although chocolate chip cookies did not come directly from them, they came from the recipe indirectly. Therefore, although it does not make them better, they are the base of all the different types of cookies we have today. It is like saying that today's big screen T.V. is better than the small radios that America used to be accustomed to. Although, the better one is all in a person's opinion, the big screen TV's would not be possible if it weren't for the small radios.

"It is only an opinion of the taste of "gross soybean or even diabetic"

True, but again people do not eat cookies for health reasons. They eat them for pure enjoyment. So, with the being said, don't you believe that a person would prefer a real cookie instead of one with soybeans instead of real chocolate chips. As I stated before, sugar cookies have natural health benefits. This includes fiber. Also, on this website you can compare the nutritional statuses of both cookies.
http://www.answers.com...
http://www.answers.com...
Although the chocolate chip cookies overall less calories than sugar cookies, they have more saturated fat- the bad kind of fat. Both contain the same amount of protein.

But let's get off the topic off nutrition, because people eat cookies just to enjoy and not for health reasons. That was just something to show that chocolate chip cookies are not healthier than sugar cookies. Both are pretty much equal in health terms.

But, most people who are allergic to chocolate would much rather prefer a real sugar cookie instead of a healthier version of a chocolate chip cookie because again, you do not eat cookies to be healthy. :)

So, overall my opponent has pretty much stated that chocolate chip cookies are better because many people like them. Also, you can have soybean replicates for people who are unable to eat the real thing.

Sugar cookies: Can be decorated and can be varied as much as you'd like, or not varied at all- it all depends on your mood. Chocolate chip cookies will remain the same. You can have sugar cookies with cinnamon sugar, sprinkles, chocolate swirls, etc. So overall, sugar cookies have more of a variety. People who are allergic to chocolate can eat sugar cookies. Are the basis of types of cookies today. Have health benefit (already listed) even if you are not looking for a "healthy cookie." I do not believe that we should bring the taste of the cookies into our debate, because as my opponent already stated, it is a mere opinion and not fit to be debated. I await your response. :)
bluemooncowza

Con

"Sugar cookies were like the basis of cookies today."

I have already stated that Ch. Chip Cookies did not in anyway come from sugar cookies "indirectly" or "directly" and given proof. Just because Sugar Cookies came before Chocolate Chip Cookies does not mean there is a root system. The first Chocolate Chip cookie was made accidentally when trying to make a different recipe (not sugar cookies.)

http://whatscookingamerica.net...

"True, but again people do not eat cookies for health reasons."

Yes people do eat cookies for healthy reasons. People who want to loose weight eat healthy cookies. It is also enjoyment because they may also enjoy the taste.

"But, most people who are allergic to chocolate would much rather prefer a real sugar cookie instead of a healthier version of a chocolate chip cookie…"

Can you give any statistic for this "most people" reason or are you just making this from generalization? Would they? Why do many healthy choice foods have healthy Ch. Chip cookies then?
My opponent has stated that her cookie has more variety, even though I have addressed this before. You can do anything to any cookie. People who prefer sugar cookies may also not want to "decorate them" as you have designed. Also you said people who are allergic to chocolate would prefer sugar cookies. Again, another generalization without fact/proof.

For my closing statement I'd like to say that on the website I have provided above it says more people prefer eating the classic chocolate chip cookie than any other cookie (including the sugar cookie). This may suggest that more people consider the cookie "better". This cookie has many health benefits as my opponent has already stated previously. Chocolate Chip cookies do not remain the same (They can and that's why many like it). Ch. Chip companies have made the cookie with all sorts of nuts and spices. Of course for the "Classic Sugar Cookie" to be what it is it cannot be changed or else the cookie name will change. Ex. Sugar cookie + peanut butter = peanut butter cookies. Thank you for this debate! I look forward to debating you on more serious topics in the future.
Posted by John_Quincy_Adams 9 years ago
John_Quincy_Adams
I think it's fair to say that sugar cookies have a much higher number of variations and flavors to exploit than a chocolate chip cookie. Certainly one could call the simple union of ingredients a marvelous singular flavor experience. However, as someone who enjoys cooking and baking, sugar cookies will always appeal to my creative desires in the kitchen. And no, there is not a sexual innuendo in that last sentence.
Posted by polka-dots323 9 years ago
polka-dots323
That's funny that you agree with my point, but refuse to vote for me. You have stated,that I am biased against you but yet here you are agreeing with me, and not voting for me. I just wanted to point that out. Also, I really don't care who or if you vote. I just wanted to let ya know. :)
Posted by Kleptin 9 years ago
Kleptin
I found the arguments to be very well matched, but there were a lot of tangents.

The problem with the allergy question is the Pro wasn't arguing that people with an allergy to chocolate would PREFER sugar cookies, Pro was arguing that the lack of chocolate makes it accessible to a group of people who are allergic to chocolate. Whether or not this classifies as "better" is another story.

The nutrition argument for both sides was pretty unnecessary, as was pointed out, cookies are a dessert/snack.

On the issue of direct/indirect, the link provided by Con was supposed to show that the chocolate chip cookie came by accident. However, it was still in the attempt to make a cookie, therefore, it does not debunk Pro's point about the chocolate chip cookie being indirectly caused by the sugar cookie.

These issues were kind of off to the side. No one bothered to define "better", which is kind of necessary for the more casual opinion debates.

I myself don't like chocolate chip cookies because the chocolate gets stuck in my teeth and annoys the hell out of me. But I do think most people do.

I'll hold off voting in this debate.
Posted by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
I gotta say, I'm partial to peanut butter. Or oatmeal raisin.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
No way , chocolate chip are the best hands down.
Vote Placed by clemsongirl5353 9 years ago
clemsongirl5353
polka-dots323bluemooncowzaTied
Vote Placed by mocha 9 years ago
mocha
polka-dots323bluemooncowzaTied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 9 years ago
brittwaller
polka-dots323bluemooncowzaTied
Vote Placed by John_Quincy_Adams 9 years ago
John_Quincy_Adams
polka-dots323bluemooncowzaTied
Vote Placed by Belladonda 9 years ago
Belladonda
polka-dots323bluemooncowzaTied
Vote Placed by skizzils 9 years ago
skizzils
polka-dots323bluemooncowzaTied
Vote Placed by rawritsmichelle 9 years ago
rawritsmichelle
polka-dots323bluemooncowzaTied
Vote Placed by polka-dots323 9 years ago
polka-dots323
polka-dots323bluemooncowzaTied
Vote Placed by TY 9 years ago
TY
polka-dots323bluemooncowzaTied
Vote Placed by bluemooncowza 9 years ago
bluemooncowza
polka-dots323bluemooncowzaTied