iworkwithanidiot
chivalrousSinner

Suicide and the Afterlife

iworkwithanidiot

Con

My coworker says that alot of suicide's (about 90% he estimates) would not occur if the person committing the act a) either did not believe in an afterlife or b) knew that there was no afterlife.

I feel like this is a ridiculous statement and absolutely ludacris.

Please let me know your take on this statement....
chivalrousSinner

Pro

I personally do not believe this, but I must play Devil's Advocate.

If the people who committed suicide did not believe in the afterlife, they would go, "Eh, if there's nothing left, I might as well enjoy my time here." and stay alive. Simple. Nothing left = No reason to die.
iworkwithanidiot

Con

iworkwithanidiot forfeited this round.
chivalrousSinner

Pro

So we're just forfeiting this?
Cool cool.
iworkwithanidiot

Con

iworkwithanidiot forfeited this round.
chivalrousSinner

Pro

chivalrousSinner forfeited this round.
Posted by dtien400 8 months ago
dtien400
@iworkwithanidiot

That's an interesting belief your coworker holds. I would say the belief in an afterlife could affect a suicidal's person decision, but only in a minor way - suicide is less about escaping to the next life and more about escaping from the present life. I'm sure it's definitely a thought that crosses 90% of suicidal people's minds though. The one exception would be suicide bombers from Islamic terrorists - they revel in their absurd belief that they will go to some form of heaven or paradise for their "noble" deed. I actually read an interesting article mentioning how ISIS is especially afraid of the female Kurd fighters because they believe you will not go to heaven if you are killed by a woman.
Posted by dtien400 8 months ago
dtien400
@iworkwithanidiot

Posted by Desert 8 months ago
Desert
I wish I could debate you in that, but I can't because most people when they commit suicide, they just want to stop the pain. The thought of an afterlife comes second perhaps but it surely is not the reason that drives people into that. I was believing in an afterlife some years ago. And I am still alive writing this comment. If that was true, all the people who believe in afterlife would kill theirselves all the time.
Posted by lord_megatron 8 months ago
lord_megatron
I think your coworker was right as people suicide because they believe they will get a new life better than their present one. If people realize they have to make do with what they get, maybe there will be less suicide. But 90 percent is too much a number. More like 30 to 55 percent.