James.ticknor
Volkov

Suicide should be legalized.

Volkov

James.ticknor

Pro

If I no longer want to walk the earth, I have the right to kill myself. Otherwise, I might commit other crimes just to get the death penalty. I feel like that'd be doing society more good than bad.

I have the right of life, but not the right of death? Come on...

(thanks for the debating thing. I'll be on for a while, so I want to finish this debate today, so I'll answer quickly)
Volkov

Con

I thank my opponent for this interesting topic.

My opponent makes an interesting point. We have the right to life, but not the right to death. This is a very compelling and interesting statement, but I believe there is several reasons that make this statement negligible.

1. Suicide most often goes in hand with mental illness.
Suicide is not an option most people with a stable emotional life and mental capacity consider. Suicide is most often the result of prolonged depression or an extremely traumatic event. It is rarely taken under consideration in normal circumstances. For this reason, suicide is not a legal option that can be considered by a jury or judge.

2. The causes for suicide are treatable.
Depression, PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and many other causes of suicide are treatable. Given time and effort, people may be able to get over these afflictions, and therefore suicide may no longer be an option. If suicide is legalized under law though, it can be argued that helping people get over those afflictions is actually a violation of their legal rights. For this reason, suicide should not be considered a legal option, for it will only dissolve the chances of preventing the tragedy.

3. The cultural impact would allow people to think suicide is acceptable.
Legalizing suicide would only allow the culture of teen suicide to grow. Suicide is not an acceptable means to escape your problems. Counselling, pharmaceuticals and support are the way to help get over depression and many other issues affecting lives. Suicide only allows for family and friends to dissolve into tragedy, and possibly even break apart. For this reason, suicide should not be a legal option.

Thanks again to my opponent for this topic, and I await his rebuttal.
James.ticknor

Pro

(You're welcome. I had a difficult time with my rebuttal, because you made some very good points. Kudos)

1. Suicide is often linked with many mental illnessess, however, this person may never get over these illnessess. This person may be assigned to suffer in an asylum, hospital, or some other thing. It is inhumane treatment to make someone suffer.

2. The causes may be treatable, but does the pain ever go away? Pills can not take back the memories of the trumatic event, they just FORCE you to feel a certain way. I do not think it's right to force someone to live an force them to take pills so they can not just be themselves. Like a plastic Barbie doll....unfeeling. It takes away from life and if I can't enjoy life without my real emotions, why live?

3. Many people think that the death penalty is unacceptable, because it takes away life, and yet many states allow it. It does not have to be accepted by the public for it to be allowed.

4. People with mental illnesses are very likely to commit a crime, and if they are sucidal, then they could be a time bomb waiting to go off....literally. Why risk the public's health? You did not answer that I might commit murders just to get the death penalty. (sure they could kill themselves, but they may want attention or something)
Volkov

Con

I thank you for your rebuttal and you have also made some good points, however I believe my argument still stands.

1. A person may never get over a mental illness, but clearly they do not have the capacity to choose whether or not to live. Treatment has come a long way since the days when we performed electro-shock therapy on those with mental illness, or perceived mental illness, and treatment centres are far more qualified to diagnose, treat and help those with mental illness. Suicide does not have to be an option due to the fact that there is this humane, direct help. Whether or not someone may get over a mental illness or depressive phase, there is options outside of suicide available to allow those people to feel comfortable with themselves, and allow them to join in with the rest of society.

2. The pain may never go away. A fact of life is that traumatic events will always stay with you and a mental illness may never actually leave. But suicide is not the answer. Counselling and pharmaceuticals are an effective treatment that will help people live with their afflictions. There has been many cases of people who have lived through a mental illness and have gotten treatment and are now effective members of society. One example is the many cases of eating disorders throughout the world. All too often these end in tragedy, and an eating disorder will never leave a person. But with the right counselling, therapy and help a person can learn to live with their disease. This is a prospect that is much more welcome than suicide, which only furthers a person's tragedy.

3. It is not legal for me to kill someone and deprive the presence of that person to their family and friends. The same should be considered for suicide, for it has the same result. Legalizing is will be akin to legalizing the pain and anguish that murderers inflict on families. That is why legalizing suicide against the wills of the people makes no sense. It contradicts our laws set in place, and in fact contradicts the stated purpose of law. To prevent tragedy and punish those who commit crimes.
To note, there is no law against suicide. It is not legal nor illegal. This is because it is contradictory to legalize it, and immoral to punish.

4. I did not address this because it is not a situation that seems likely and makes no sense as it is also in contradiction to your statement for the rest of the argument.
Most people that are suicidal are not 'ticking time bombs', and the few that are have a stated history of mental illness. The Virgina Tech Massacre perpetrator had selective mutism and severe depression, and Marc Lepine, the perpetrator of the �cole Polytechnique massacre, was abused as a child and was known to have several anxiety disorders. The failure of government services to help counsel and control their illnesses illustrates my point that treatment is the best option.
But despite the fact that these people may be a threat to society and the popular argument may be to legalize suicide to stop them, the government has a right to refuse, just as they have the right to legalize suicide despite it being against the popular opinion. Marc Lepine may have been a terrible person, and he may have been suicidal, but legalizing suicide does not help him. We lost a person who may have been a contribution to society had he gotten the help he needed. We may lose many, many contributions to society because of legalized suicide. The odds are too great.

So I hope I have made my case why suicide should not be legalized. Any disorder can be treated when people get the proper help. Suicide is not the only option, but legalizing it will only reinforce the idea that it is.

Thank you to my opponent for this wonderful debate.
Posted by rangersfootballclub 5 years ago
rangersfootballclub
lets be honest and have common_sense_please , get it ? nahhh lol.

anyway how many people have you read or watched on the T.v that have went on a killing spree and had a shoot out at the end , were classed as mentally stable ?

also its a waste of time allowing suicide to be legalized , becausue it brings up to many moral issues and objections etc. the reailty is anybody that really wants to commit suicide is going to do it , and they will not inform the authoritys to ask for permission etc , now euthanasia is a whole diffrent matter which im not prepared to comment on , however plain suicide is not against the law i think in a private place , it is in public , then again once you do it , whos going to punish you lol ?

funyn joke here to ligthen the mood .

in the 17th century if you were caught trying to commit suicide you were arrested , and if found guilty you were senteced to having your head chopped off lol !
Posted by Common_Sense_Please 5 years ago
Common_Sense_Please
People with mental illness are very likely to commit a crime? Where's the evidence for this? A very common misunderstanding. People fear what they don't understand. The reality is, mentally ill people are more likely to be a victim than a perpetrator. http://hymes.wordpress.com...
Posted by FemaleGamer 5 years ago
FemaleGamer
I'm going to blame my suicide letter on my hayfever medication.
Posted by Aziar44 5 years ago
Aziar44
I feel like the legalization of suicide is a legal recognition of one's freedom. You have control over your life - you choose when to take it. I feel like this could have been fleshed out better with more rounds...still, a good debate. Questions of individual freedom, assisted suicide, etc. would have interesting to see. Perhaps another time!
Posted by McBain 5 years ago
McBain
Who cares if suicide is illegal? If you killed yourself, what would they do? Arrest you?
Posted by Volkov 5 years ago
Volkov
I agree, it was a very good debate. Well done to you sir.
Posted by James.ticknor 5 years ago
James.ticknor
Ha, you're right. I forgot to mention assisted suicide. I got carried away. It's been fun!
Posted by Volkov 5 years ago
Volkov
About not talking of cases where people are not mentally insane; how often do you have cases where this is not the case? He was not arguing the fact of assisted suicide, something which I am actually for. Suicide is not something that a person who does not have some form of mental illness or depression will seriously consider.
Posted by snelld7 5 years ago
snelld7
>>>> Suicide most often goes in hand with mental illness.
Suicide is not an option most people with a stable emotional life and mental capacity consider. Suicide is most often the result of prolonged depression or an extremely traumatic event. It is rarely taken under consideration in normal circumstances. For this reason, suicide is not a legal option that can be considered by a jury or judge.<<<<

Pro, you should have pointed out the Con's inability to be able to say ALL cases. Then resort to forcing him to talk about those some/few that aren't mentally ill. It would have went much smoother and in your favor.

>>>The causes for suicide are treatable.
Depression, PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) and many other causes of suicide are treatable.<<<

Yet again, he is only talking about cases where they aren't mentally sane.

(DIRECTLY TO CON)
Why is it you feel that only people with an illness would want to kill themselves? Why do you assume that people who want to die, have to be unhappy? Why can't they just be content with what they've done on earth and be interested in what is in the afterlife?
(to pro)
seeing as how neither can ACTUALLY be proved.. you should have made him drop the argument

>>>>. The cultural impact would allow people to think suicide is acceptable.

That's besides the point. Pro isn't making everyone think it's good to kill themselves. He's simply stating it shouldn't be illegal. Laws aren't derived solely off of the prospect of things being acceptable. For example, drinking leads to more deaths per year than most things, yet it's perfectly legal. Plus, who are you to say that it isn't acceptable anyways? How is death (something that will inevitably undergo) unacceptable?
Posted by wjmelements 5 years ago
wjmelements
Suicide laws are only enforced in the case that people fail. The government then forces them into some rehab institution.
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 5 years ago
rougeagent21
James.ticknorVolkovTied
Vote Placed by younstownsoldier 5 years ago
younstownsoldier
James.ticknorVolkovTied
Vote Placed by Marine1 5 years ago
Marine1
James.ticknorVolkovTied
Vote Placed by Volkov 5 years ago
Volkov
James.ticknorVolkovTied
Vote Placed by Aziar44 5 years ago
Aziar44
James.ticknorVolkovTied
Vote Placed by Xie-Xijivuli 5 years ago
Xie-Xijivuli
James.ticknorVolkovTied
Vote Placed by snelld7 5 years ago
snelld7
James.ticknorVolkovTied