Summer is better than Winter

Let it be resolved: Summer is better than Winter, for the following three reasons.

1) During the Summer solstice, the days are longer, Allowing you to accomplish more in one day, and also have more fun.
2) Most schools and Universities have longer summer breaks, than they do winter breaks. This allows you to go on vacation, and to do things that you normally would not have time to do.
3)The weather is nicer in the summer than it is in the fall, meaning, there are usually less storms, and more sunshine. This allows you to spend more time outdoors, which can be better for your health than sitting inside and drinking hot chocolate would be.

Now, I would like to invite my lovely opponent to post her arguments against me.

You flatter me Captain :D I thank my opponent for inviting me to join this debate.

I stand in firm negation to the following resolution that Summer is better than Winter for the following reasons.

1) Summer is too hot to sleep at night, there are mosquitoes, you sweat more which is both uncomfortable and causes a valuable water loss, heat makes you sleepy and tired causing you to be lazy and not get as much done, more sticky smog, and there are millions of bugs that both bite, sting, and bother you by just being there.

2) It is a proven fact that people sleep better during the cold weather.

3) There is a point in the hot sticky weather where you can't take off any more clothes, however you can always add more in the winter. You can always be too hot but you can never be too cold because you have plenty of warm clothing and blankets to warm you up.

4) Hot chocolate, marshmallows, and fire. It's all said there.

I thank you for joining, and for posting your arguments so quickly. Now, I would like to rip apart everything that you have said against me:

1) You stated that there are mosquitoes, but, all problems have a solution, if you find that you are heading to a place where the mosquitoes would be particularly unbearable, then you can simply use mosquito spray, to protect you. Also, for those who highly dislike the spray, scientists have been coming up with fantastic technology that offers other solutions, such as mosquito fans, or candles that will repel those nasty pests. Also, I would like to point out that that while, during the summer, yes there are millions of bugs, OUTSIDE. During the winter though, it gets too cold for most of them out there, so they move inside with you. That is why in the winter you find a lot more spiders, earwigs, and other nasty pests in your house than you do during the summer.

2) I believe you somewhat contradicted yourself with this statement, , and this is how, in your first point, you stated that the warm weather makes people sleepy. Don't people usually sleep better when they are sleepy?

3) Some people enjoy being extremely warm, and it is hard for them to get as much as heat as they desire, or need, in the winter. There are also several biological problems that can occur from being unable to warm yourself up, but there are few that are caused from being unable to cool yourself. If you do, by some chance, get unbearably hot, then you can always go swimming, or sit a tub full of ice, turn on the AC, or eat a Popsicle to cool yourself down. Which, I don't know about you, but many of those solutions sound much more fun than simply putting on more clothing.

4) Hot Chocolate, Marshmallows, and Fire do not nessecarily 'Say it all' as you stated.
a) Some people do not like hot chocolate, nor marshmallows, and also, many people fear fire.
b) These points have no relevance to the topic, because, first of all, you can have hot chocolate whenever you wish, not only in the wintertime. Secondly, marshmallows and fire, are more often associated with summer than with winter, because summer is the time that you go camping, and 'roasting marshmallows over a roaring fire' has become what many people think of when they hear camping.

Now, I have a question:

1) In your second point, you said it is a proven fact that people sleep better during the cold weather, can I ask you, Where is your proof?

That's all I have to say at this point. Your turn. :)

Thank you for the quick response, Captain, and sorry for the late reply.

On your argument against the mosquito problem, mosquito spray is proven to not work with complete effectiveness and mosquitoes are known to adapt and change their future generations to become immune to the spray no matter how good it is. In both summer AND winter bugs are both inside and outside, but most of the bugs die and don't get in your house by the time winter is here. Examples are mosquitoes, wasps, bees, butterflies, and much more.

On your sleep statement, in summer people feel more sluggish and lazy while in winter you sleep BETTER. In summer you are being lazy and laying around or sleeping until noon, which it is VERY unhealthy to oversleep. It is a more even and healthier sleep than in the summer which is very necessary for humans especially teenagers.

The third comment you made is invalid because many people enjoy being cold and it is difficult for them to function in the heat. AND many people would much rather warm up with hot chocolate or cider rather than eating a cold Popsicle. The things you suggested to cool down during the summer aren't nearly as effective as the things I have listed to warm up in the winter. It is so much harder to cool down then to warm up.

The Fourth thing. For many people, maybe not you, Hot Chocolate, Marshmallows, and Fire really do say it all. The warmth of the flame and the sensation one gets when drinking a hot beverage is much better than the cold rush you get that doesn't do much good. Another thing, you can have Popsicle whenever you want too, and you can eat all the ice you want in the winter, BUT those things always taste and seem better in the summer just as fire and hot beverages seem and taste much, much better during the winter especially after playing one of the many exciting Winter Sports. I don't know about you, but I know many people that are much more likely to roast marshmallows in the winter than in the summer. My neighborhood, for one example, always gets together every year during the winter season to drink that delicious hot chocolate and roast marshmallows over a great bonfire.

1) Proof? I'll be glad to give you proof for your first question. Scientists all over the world call this the Hibernation Factor which many mammals get during the winter, including humans. Here is a link that will take you to a great website on better sleep. It talks all about how people get better sleep in the winter because of this hibernation factor. However, this wanting to sleep and this better sleep is much different than the sleep in the summer which has strange, sluggish, and unhealthy sleeping patterns.

Thank you for analyzing my points and asking me a question. Now for your points. (I apologize if I took too much space explaining)

1) Your first point in round 1. More time isn't necessarily a good thing. Most people during summer, especially ones who get school off, spend more time, even on the summer solstice, being lazy and laying around with little or nothing to do.

2) Your second point in round 1. I know of many schools that let people out for three weeks during Christmas break which also allows you to do things you wouldn't normally have time to do. There are so many outdoor and indoor winter activities that can't be done as well or at all during the summer yet most summer activities can be done just as well in the winter only indoors. So, this allows for even more opportunity to do fun things during the winter which there is a more variety of.

3) Your third point in round 1. There are many people who believe the weather is much nicer in the winter than in the summer. (I am assuming that when you said fall you meant winter. That happens to me all the time, so don't stress:D) Again with the outdoor activities. There is a much larger variety of things you can do in the winter. There are many people who spend more time outdoors than indoors in the winter. Another thing, who says the sun is a good thing? The UV rays are causing so much trial and pain because of an increase in cancer. So many people spend time outdoors in the summer only to be burned or become more tan, which tanning has become a popular thing all over the world.

1) Don't you agree that tanning, which is caused when the many people around the world spend time under the sun, causes serious forms of caner that is extremely unhealthy?

2) Isn't it possible to play summer sports during the winter but not very many winter sports in the summer? Examples are: volleyball, basketball, tennis . . .

3) Isn't it true that in the cold weather it is more comfortable for most people to go running or exercise than in the summer because of the heat?

Thank you again for starting this debate, and I apologize even more for the late reply and the length of the reply. I just needed a lot of space to explain myself.

While it is true that not all mosquitoes are taken care of by the spray, it does get rid of most of them, which was the purpose of making that statement. Also, I do agree that it is plausible for mosquitoes to evolve to a point that they can withstand out current strongest sprays, but as I stated above, there are many people working on improving it. Also, you used butterflies as an example to bugs, but I honestly don't see how butterflies would fall into the same category as mosquitoes. They do not cause problematic, irritating bites, and many people consider them to be "Beautiful", which may be considered a good thing. You stated that these beautiful creatures have usually died off by winter, which would make winter lack the beauty of the butterflies. Another thing that could go along with the butterflies are flowers, flowers can be symbolic of friendship, of happiness, of warmth, and of love! In the summer, nearly everywhere you go you will see at least a few flowers, but in the winter they do not grow, and you are once again, deprived of the beauty they bring.
About your sleep rebuttal, I'm sorry, but we are not debate whether summer is HEALTHIER than winter, but that it is BETTER. Most people enjoy sleeping in every once in a while, so the point that you don't oversleep in the winter, doesn't really help your case.
Of course "Many people would much rather warm up with hot chocolate or cider rather than eating a cold Popsicle" as you stated, because Popsicle are not meant to warm you up! Many people would rather cool down by eating a Popsicle than by drinking hot chocolate or cider! That point was either irrelevant, or poorly stated.

Again, I must oppose you on the statement that "Hot Chocolate, Marshmallows, and Fire really do say it all", because Hot chocolate, Marshmallows, and Fire, are a total of four words. Their are BILLIONS of words in our language, and most of them have nothing to do with any of those four words, so they cannot possible "say it all". Also, I am glad you pointed out my Popsicle statement. You CAN eat it whenever, just as you CAN eat/drink hot coco and marshmallows whenever, which brings us back to the fact that it was an invalid point! So let's make a compromise, I won't bring up any more Popsicle, since it was invalid, if you admit that the hot chocolate and marshmallows were invalid. Also, going along those same lines, Winter sports can be done in the summer, you just have to travel to somewhere that has snow, such as Alaska.

Concerning what you said about my first contention, more time is a good thing, in the winter, when you are in school, you have too much to do and not enough time to do it! You have homework, friends, often extracurricular activities, and when you don't have enough time to do everything you need to do, you get stressed. If you continue to be persistent about the whole health thing, then I could gladly point you that stress is not healthy. Also, if you get to overwhelmed, and find yourself running out of time, then you may need to stay up later to accomplish the things that you need to do, which would cause you to be sluggish and tired the next morning.
The second point, it is possible that some schools let you out for a three week Christmas break, but where I live, most schools only let you out for about a week and a half, maybe two at most. Also, during the Christmas break, people don't often do as many recreational things that they can do in the summer, because they are doing religious things to prepare for the holiday, or they are shopping, and also celebrating. The point you made about the indoor and outdoor sports are false, because, while it is true that you can play SOME summer sports indoors, you cannot play all of them. Such as football, and baseball. but as I said, you can travel during the summer (since you have enough time that you can!), and play winter sports during the summer. Also, I don't understand how their is more "Variety" to the winter activities, could you please expand on that?
Yes, I did mean Winter when I said fall, I apologize for my error. Also, the sun is not bad unless you get too much of it! And when I stated that you could spend more time outdoors, that didn't mean that you have to spend all your time in the sun. You could be in the shade, where it is still warm, but more pleasing because you are surround by nature.

Your questions:
1)I do agree that tanning is a bad thing, but it is irrelevant to the case, because like many points you have brought up, you can still tan in the winter, using a tanning bed.
2)I've already answered that many times in my above statements.
3)I have never heard of this, and I'm a runner! Yes it is nicer to run in cool weather, such as early morning, or early evening, but not in cold weather! In cold weather your joint cramp up which causes pain, and is not at all fun! Also, very few of my cross country comrades run in the winter, due to the cold, but they run all summer to prepare.

Thank you for analyzing my points.

To comment on what you first stated. Mosquitoes are still there. They carry diseases that are painful and deathly. There are many people that can't even afford the spray. Source of the diseases: Butterflies do not fall into the category of mosquitoes but I didn't mean them to appear as such. I was just giving examples of bugs that die because of the cold weather. Flowers are in the summer, yes, but many people believe the sparkling beauty of snow is better than bugs. What is the definition of better? Having better sleep in the winter is a reason it is better than summer. Another thing is that oversleeping is unhealthy for you. Having too much sleep, especially sleep in the summer, only makes you more tired. At that source you can find a study CBS news did that proves that oversleep, and not better sleep, is hazardous to your health. So, therefore, it does help my case. Another thing, if you think sleeping is irrelevant to the topic, then why are you going on about it? Just curious.

What I meant with the hot chocolate is that it is more effective in warming you up than Popsicle are at cooling you down. I am sorry for confusing you, I tried to make it as clear as possible.

There are billions of words in our language but most of those words don't have to do anything with winter or summer. You clearly don't understand what I was meaning by that statement, "that says it all." My hot chocolate point was not invalid because it is a wonderful thing that is usually associated with winter. Fire, marshmallows, and hot chocolate are all more commonly found during the winter season. Most people don't drink hot chocolate during the summer, or don't eat a Popsicle during the winter.

The sports. Winter sports cannot be done in the summer . . . In Alaska it can get up to 80 and 90 degrees which makes it impossible to do winter sports. And this source I just stated proves that it doesn't snow there as much as you may think. Alaska, in fact, is a green place with many lakes, rivers, and streams. The summer in Alaska doesn't have much snow at all. It is definitely not enough to be able to do the popular winter activities.

I would like you to remember that there are many schools that are year round, so that doesn't help your point on time too much. The days are longer in the summer, but why is that a good thing? I, for one, and many others that I know have no problem with the time in the winter and can get plenty done. On the stress, many people can get just as stressed during summer as in winter. School is not the only thing out there. People have jobs too. Also, there are many positive ways you can deal with stress but unhealthy sleeping habits are not as easily dealt with.

It's not only recreational things people do in the summer. There are many people that go to Hawaii or to Disney Land in the winter break that is also done in summer. Also, many people go on Klondikes during the winter break. There is a recreational example for you that can only be done int he winter. Also my point on sports. You can play football and baseball indoors all you want. That link will take you to a website that is the American indoor Football Association. Indoor football is real. Examples of a variety: You can take walks, go running, play all the summer sports and winter sports, go on Klondikes, go hiking, climb mountains, climb frozen waterfalls. There are so many different things you can do because you can do both summer AND winter sports.

What you said about the sun. The problem with summer is most people DO get too much of it. What you said above that caused me to state the sun problem is that you specifically stated you can play in the sunshine.

1) I must point out that all of my points are perfectly relevant to the topic. Each of them states how winter is better than summer, which it is. Yes you can use a tanning bed, but most people don't tan in the winter.
2) And I have replied above.
3)That is a personal example, but you are only one person. Can you give more examples of runners who like summer better?

1) Isn't it true that the holidays celebrated in the winter are more worldwide and more known? Examples: Christmas and New Years
2) Isn't it true that, going off my first question, summer holidays are not more known or more worldwide? Examples: 4th of July and Pioneer Day
3) Isn't it true that there are more songs written for things in the winter then there are for the summer? Examples: Christmas songs and New Years songs

Thank you for taking the time to reply, and again I apologize for my lengthy reply.

Captain_Ronnie forfeited this round.

Since you ran out of time to reply, which I think they should give more time than a few days, I will continue on my last point about holidays.

According to Fox News:
96% of the American population celebrate Christmas.
At least 1 out of 3 people throughout the world celebrate this holiday.
2% of the American population celebrate Kwanzaa.
13% of African Americans observe the holiday, or approximately 4.7 million people.
5% of the American population celebrate Hanukkah.
The great majority of American interfaith couples raising their children as Jews plan on participating in celebrations of both Christmas and Hanukkah. 99 percent expect to participate in Hanukkah celebrations, and 89 percent plan to participate in Christmas celebrations.

Kwanzaa starts December 26 and lasts seven days. It is a nonreligious holiday that is celebrated by African Americans and others around the world. It is a complete cultural celebration.
Hanukkah starts on the evening of December 1, 2010, and ends on the night of December 9, 2010.
Christmas is on December 25

New Years Day and Eve are celebrated in most corners of the world by many people. Some of the new years days are the Chinese New Year , New Years , and more. This website shows the different new years celebrations all over the world. A few if the cultures that celebrate this holiday are:
* Yuan Tan (Chinese)
* Shougatsu (Japanese)
* Hogmanay (Scottish)
* Chaul Chnam Thmey (Cambodian)
* Nouruz (Iranian)
* Tet Nguryen Dan (Vietnamese)
* Festival of Saint Basil (Greek)
* Rosh Hashanah (Jewish)
* Muharram (Moslem)
* Sylvesterabend (Austrian)
* Ano Nuevo (Hispanic)
* New Year (American)
* Diwali (India)
* Nos Galan (Welsh) This site shows all of the many celebrations in winter.

Chinese New Year
Chinese New Year is the most important of the traditional Chinese holidays. It falls on different dates each year, between January 21 and February 20. Visits to friends and family take place during this celebration. The color gold is said to bring wealth, and the color red is considered especially lucky. The New Year's Eve dinner is very large and includes fish, noodles, and dumplings.

Christmas is celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Christmas in the United States brings together many customs from other countries and cultures. Around the world, family members help to decorate the tree and home with bright lights, wreaths, candles, holly, mistletoe, and ornaments. On Christmas Eve, many people go to church. Also on Christmas Eve, Santa comes from the North Pole in a sleigh to deliver gifts; in Hawaii, it is said he arrives by boat; in Australia, the jolly man arrives on water skis; and In Ghana, he comes out of the jungle.

Eid Al Adha, the Festival of the Sacrifice
Eid Al Adha is celebrated by Muslims on the 10th day of the month of the lunar calendar (In 2008, it fell on December 8) to commemorate the willingness of the prophet Ibrahim (or Abraham) to sacrifice his son for God. Today, Muslims sacrifice an animal—usually a goat or a sheep—as a reminder of Ibrahim's obedience to God. The meat is shared with family, friends Muslims or non-Muslims, as well as the poor members of the community.

Jewish people celebrate Hanukkah, a holiday honoring the Maccabees victory over King Antiochus, who forbid Jews to practice their religion. For eight nights, Hanukkah is celebrated with prayer, the lighting of the menorah, and food. A menorah has nine candles, a candle for every night, plus a helper candle. Children play games, sing songs, and exchange gifts. Potato pancakes, known as latkes in Yiddish, are traditionally associated with Hanukkah and are served with applesauce and sour cream.

On December 26, Kwanzaa is celebrated. It is a holiday to commemorate African heritage. Kwanzaa lasts a week during which participants gather with family and friends to exchange gifts and to light a series of black, red, and green candles, which symbolize the seven basic values of African American family life that are unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity, and faith.

New Year's Day
New Year's Day is the first day of the year in the Gregorian calendar on January 1. There are often fireworks at midnight to celebrate the new year. Commonly served in the southern part of the United States, black-eyed peas are thought to bring luck and prosperity for the new year, greens (usually collards) bring wealth, and pork because pigs root forward.

Three Kings Day
At the end of the Twelve Days of Christmas comes a day called the Epiphany,

Captain_Ronnie forfeited this round.

Again, I thank my opponent for creating this topic: Summer is better than Winter. I still stand in firm negation to this resolution because winter is much better than summer.

In conclusion, winter is better than summer because

4) Hot chocolate, marshmallows, and fire as well as other hot drinks.

5) Winter has more holidays that are celebrated by more people.

6) There are more songs written for the winter season.

7) Snow looks beautiful

And so many more points that I can't even cover them all.

I encourage all to vote for Con because, as I have proven many times above, winter is better than summer.

Posted by elyse.sundberg 3 years ago
Summer > Winter all the way...

Winter: cold, gross, exhausting, sickly, depressing, dead. I can drink hot chocolate when I want despite season, or even make hot chocolate Popsicles. The cold is unbearable to wake up to, walk in, deal with. I'm a dedicated runner but I have the hardest time running in the's honestly miserable. I'm lazier and get less accomplished in the winter because i can't go outside and have no motivation to do anything whatsoever in the cold. All I can do is huddle up in a blanket beside a heater and try to keep my hands from freezing. And that's INSIDE. Winter time is miserable. At least to me and most of the people that I know with a few exceptions. However, most of the people that I know who like cold weather are over weight while I can't gain weight to save my life, so that might be a factor. Yeah there are bugs in the summer, but bug spray takes care of them so they aren't a nuisance. Being able to go outside and enjoy myself and feel alive...UHMAYZING. plus, summer has been proven to have very positive effects on skin, hair, health, etc. there is a reason why doctors have sent people to warmer climates when they are sick for's BETTER for you. Plus, its been proven that season affects mentality, and summer is a more positive influence. Refer to the romantic writers of the late eighteenth century. Summer is just....better. it just is. Plus, summer: reduces chance of heart attacks, increases fruit intake, is good for your skin, increases agility, increases water consumption, reduces DVT risk, helps migraine sufferers, affect diabetes patients positively, prevents hip fractures, and helps regulate sleep disorders (this coming from an insomniac).
Posted by Ebbay 5 years ago
I confirm my opponents comment as we were at the competition together.
Posted by Captain_Ronnie 5 years ago
HEY!!! Just so everyone knows, I didn't forfeit the round on purpose, I simply did not have time to post the 4th round, because I was at a speech and debate competitioins, doing this sort of thing in the non-virtual world. :)
Posted by Captain_Ronnie 5 years ago
Thanks, I'll be sure to remember that. I'm used to SPAR, in real life, where you can't take time to find resources and you make up a lot of random... junk.. I'm slowly getting used to, and in the previous round I had intended to post some evidence, but I ran out of characters remaining... lol. But thanks so much for the compliment! And for actually taking time to look at it, since you expected trash. :)
Posted by Atheism 5 years ago
To be honest, I thought that, since it was between two unknown and new users, the debate would be utter trash. However, it is actually, for a beginner's debate, quite good!
In your next debate that has use for empirical evidence, cite your sources more often. It'll make you claims much more real then some random accusations.
Nice job to both sides, anyhow.
Vote Placed by Captain_Ronnie 5 years ago