Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was a better Mario RPG than Paper Mario

Started: 5/14/2014 Category: Games

I would love to debate anyone who has a vast knowledge of video games, RPGs, and Super Mario games, as well as an informed opinion on said topics. The topic of the debate is stated above in the title. I am taking the pro position. I will allow my opponent to make his opening arguments in round one and I will make mine in round two as well as refutations of his arguments. Definitions can be made by my opponent as well.

Good luck!

Before I begin, I would like to propose we define the word 'better' as meaning 'of superior quality'. I will be arguing the original Paper Mario for the N64 is better than Super Mario RPG.

To begin, let's look at presentation. No, I'm not talking about graphics - it is absurd to compare a SNES game to any N64 game, as the N64 is a vastly more powerful console capable of far superior graphics. Instead, I will be looking at the art design behind the graphics. Paper Mario has a vastly superior presentation. Why is this? The art direction. Take a look at this scene:

This isn't a spectacular area in the game like Bowser's Castle or Dry Dry Desert, but it showcases the fantastic and unique art direction. Paper Mario is a fully 3D game, but the art design makes the game feel as if it is coming out of a storybook. The characters are 2D, and many puzzles play on the 'paper' aspect by having items pop in and out of the background. Simply put, it makes the game a unique and fun take on the RPG format. In contrast, Super Mario RPG is a fairly typical JRPG - sure, it's set in the Mushroom Kingdom, but it doesn't a unique, cohesive theme that distinguishes it from the vast amount of other SNES RPGS. That's not to say it's bad (it isn't), it just doesn't have the charm that Paper Mario has. Keep in mind that both games were released late in the lifespan of their respective consoles (Super Mario RPG was released in Japan in 1996,[1] the same year the N64 launched there,[2] and Paper Mario was released in 2000,[3] about a year before the GameCube launched[4]) when developers knew fully how to take advantage of the hardware

The second facet of presentation is music, and Paper Mario has an amazing soundtrack. Take a listen to the whole soundtrack[5] - 'Story of the Stolen Spirits', the song that plays over the game's opening cutscene, is brilliant, especially given the N64's limitations in the music department. The Battle theme is great, as are the numerous boss themes. The Yoshi's Island area of the game has a brilliant musical remix of the title theme to the SNES Yoshi's Island. Heck, even the File Select music is catchy!

Next, let's look at the story. Paper Mario takes the typical Mario story and throws it on it's head. This time, Bowser has stolen the Star Rod, granting him the power to make his every wish come true, and sealed the guardians of the Star Rod, the Star Spirits, into playing cards, which he has given to his most powerful minions. Bowser isn't just content to take Princess Peach - this time, he steals her entire castle by warping his castle underneath it, lifting both high into the sky. Then, when he's confronted by Mario, he makes short work of him in battling, kicking him out of the castle. When Mario crashes to the ground on the outskirts of a small village, he's on the brink of death and only the remaining power of the Star Spirits saves him. Mario is quickly joined by a Goomba inhabitant of the village and sets out to rescue the Star Spirits, hoping they have enough power to negate the Star Rod, and foil Bowser's plan once again. After Mario rescues a Star Spirit, you control Peach for a brief bit, covertly aiding Mario and learning more about Bowser's plans to conquer the Mushroom Kingdom.

Finally, let's look at the gameplay. Paper Mario is an RPG with a heavy emphasis on platforming and puzzle-solving - the platforming challenges and puzzles are not as complex as, say, Super Mario 64, but they are fun to navigate and satisfying to solve. Mario's jump and hammer abilities are used to solve many puzzles, but a large number also utilize the special ability each partner has - for example, Kooper can use his shell to reach distant objects, Parakarry can guide Mario over short gaps, and Watt can illuminate dark areas. The added variety in the overworld results in the puzzles and obstacles being much more interesting than the ones in Super Mario RPG.

Battles are well-rounded - there aren't any random encounters, and all enemies are visible on the map. Depending on who strikes the other first, either Mario or the enemy can damage the other before battle begins. Battling itself is heavily dependent on action commands - to reach the full effectiveness of any attack, you need to do anything from simply pressing a button at a certain time to completing a complex series of button presses. You can also reduce the damage from enemy attacks by pressing the 'A' button at the right moment. This greatly increases the interactivity of battles and makes it a blast to fight. A similar feature is in Super Mario RPG, but Paper Mario refines and perfects this formula.

In addition to standard jump and hammer attacks, Mario earns a new ability from each Star Spirit he saves, and can also learn new moves by activating badges. Badges require badge points, which are one of three options Mario can choose to improve each time Mario earns 100 star points. It's a trade-off to choose badge points over health or flower points (the equivalent to magic points), but that's part of the fun and makes the player take the key role in shaping how Mario improves over his quest. Additionally, if Mario finds certain blocks he can upgrade his partner's abilities and attack strength as well. There are enough blocks for each character to learn two additional powers, and this encourages players to search the vast world to find them.

As a whole, Paper Mario is similar to Super Mario RPG, but better because it expands upon the best parts of it's predecessor but creates it's own unique look, feel, and gameplay style. I look forward to my opponent's opening round.

First thanks to TN05 for taking this debate.

Super Mario RPG has an entirely different story than any previous Mario game. You don't save Peach. She is a member of your party. As is Bowser. They both are your allies. You are also introduced to two new allies, Geno and Mallow.

Going back to the fact that Bowser and Peach are your allies, In Paper Mario, you again have to save Peach from Bowser. In Super Mario RPG, you encounter a new enemy and a new mission: Smithy, who has destroyed the Star Road. Granted, in Paper Mario, Bowser steals a the Star Rod and destroys the Star Road, but you still go through the same tired formula of having to save Peach. The Star Rod and Star Road serve as more of a secondary quest.

So in Super Mario RPG you have:

In Paper Mario you have

So I can concede that Mario gives you more allies, but there is a problem with the battle format of Paper Mario

In Super Mario RPG you are given Mario plus TWO allies to take into battle with you at a time. Paper Mario only allows for one extra ally into battle

So you are given more options in Super Mario RPG for battle partners. In Paper Mario you have to switch partners thus wasting a turn.

In conjunction with that, you are able to learn more special moves with your allies in Super Mario RPG, and your allies can use items collected and bought in the game. Paper Mario does not give you this option.

In Paper Mario, Mario has two types of attacks, Jump and Hammer. In Super Mario RPG, Mario You can use a variety of attacks, Punching attacks, fire attacks, hammer attacks and of course jumping attacks.

Your allies in Super Mario RPG can also use a different number of attacks, in Paper Mario, your allies are limited to three.

You can equip armor, weapons and accessories on each of your members that increase certain attributes in Super Mario RPG. This cannot be done in Paper Mario, instead using a badge system which is in comparison, useless

Additionally in Super Mario, you have several mini games and puzzles such as Midas River, Yo'ster Isle the Moleville Mine Carts, Goomba Thumpin in the Pipe Vault, and the symphony game in Tadpole Pond just to name a few. In Midas River there are caves you can go in and collect items coins or even risk losing coins. The design in that particular area is really neat

Finally In Paper Mario when you level up, you only level Mario up. In Super Mario RPG, you have the opportunity to level up each of your party members. You can give each member more HP FP etc.

I'll be rebutting Pro in this round.

First, my opponent argues that the story in Super Mario RPG is better because it is more original. I won't deny that the story is indeed original, but does original always equal better? I'd argue a story like Star Wars: Episode 4 (which essentially follows the basic medieval adventure formula, but in space) is far better than a more original story like Twilight or 50 Shades of Gray. Yes, Paper Mario does have a more traditional story. But I think it tells it's story far better than Super Mario RPG - you know from the start that Bowser has beaten you, and your only chance at victory is to find the Star Spirits. Additionally, you work from both sides rather than just one - you aren't just on a quest to find and defeat Bowser, you also play as Peach after each chapter, sneaking around the castle to help Mario.

My opponent then notes Paper Mario offers twice as many partners than Super Mario RPG, but that you can only have two people in your party (Mario and 1 partner) at once, and that you also lose a turn if you swap a partner out mid-battle. First, I want to note that if you obtain and activate the Quick Change badge, you can change your partner out without losing an attack.[1] Second, I want to note that yes, you do have fewer partners in battle - but is that a bad thing? I think it's a reasonable trade-off to have only one partner in battle instead of two, given that in Super Mario RPG the partners only do anything in-battle (whereas in Paper Mario you can choose one partner at a time to appear on the map alongside you) and offers only half as many partners.

My opponent also notes that in Super Mario RPG, you and your allies learn special moves and can use items bought or found throughout the game to aid you. He argues Paper Mario does not offer this and only offers two types of attacks: Jump and Hammer. This is not 100% accurate, however, as you and your partners do indeed learn more attacks throughout the game, and you can buy and use items. Mario's standard Hammer and Jump attacks both receive two upgrades throughout the game, each partner can get new attacks, and Mario learns a special ability after finding each Star Spirit - additionally, Mario can learn new abilities by activating badges that grant new Jump or Hammer abilities. The diversity of these badges is astounding:

*Badges like Dizzy Stomp, Shrink Stomp, and Sleepy Stomp can induce status effects on enemies.
*Badges like Power Jump and Mega Smash increase attack power substantially.
*Badges like D-Down Jump and D-Down Hammer ignore enemy defense stats.
*Badges like Hammer Throw, Mega Quake, and Power Bounce alter basic attacks in certain ways (making the hammer a projectile, damaging all enemies on the floor or ceiling, and allowing Mario to jump on an enemy repeatedly until you fail an action command, respectively)
*Badges like All or Nothing, Ice Power, Power Plus, and Mega Rush boost Mario's attack stats if certain conditions are met.
*Badges like Defend Plus, Damage Dodge, Dodge Master, and Fire Shield boost Mario's defense stats if certain conditions are met.
*Badges like Bump Attack, Spin Attack and First Attack grant Mario overworld abilities that aid him in battle.
*Badges like Jump Charge, Hammer Charge, Super Jump Charge and Super Hammer Charge allow Mario to boost his attack power for the next turn.
*Badges like Double Dip, Triple Dip and Quick change allow Mario to use multiple items in a turn or swap partners without losing a turn.

Each badge costs a certain amount of badge points (BP) to wear, and you can choose to earn 3 BP by leveling up. This is less than the 5 HP or FP you can gain, making the depth this system offers incredible. Do you try and get as many Badge Points as possible, risking entering battle against tough enemies with less HP and FP? Do you go for status attacks or more powerful attacks? Do you boost defense or offense? Super Mario RPG offers nothing like this. Sure, it has an armor and weapons system, like my opponent notes, but you can only apply one piece of armor and one weapon at a time. Paper Mario allows you wear as many badges as you have badge points. Additionally, my opponent incorrectly asserts each partner in Paper Mario can learn only have three attacks - this is false. Each partner can learn up to four attacks. With eight partners, that is a whopping 32 attacks to choose from!

My opponent notes the mini-games in Super Mario RPG, which I agree are neat. Paper Mario also has mini-games, however, including Chuck Quizmo's Pop Quiz and Li'l Oink Farm, which earn you star pieces and items, respectively, and the Playroom games (Jump Attack and Hammer Attack) that give you coins).

Also, my opponent notes when you level up in Paper Mario, only Mario levels up, not your party members. This is true, but you can level your partners up by finding and hitting blue blocks.

I do not know what my opponent is trying to convey here. At first I thought he was committing a category mistake, but i am just plain confused. 50 Shades of Gray is NOT an original story. Twilight might be, i don't know. But to say Star Wars is not original, especially in comparison to 50 Shades of Gray and Twilight. I agree it is a better movie, but that proves my point. Super Mario RPG is an original story, which makes it a better game (among other reasons)

When you have only one member of your party with you like in Paper Mario, you are often out numbered. While in Super Mario RPG, having 2 members of your party as opposed to one, you may still at times be out numbered, but you are less likely to be so. It's simple statistics.

Your allies in Paper Mario do not have access to the items that can be used in battle. In Super Mario RPG, the can. Which is an advantage. Furthermore, in Super Mario RPG, you can have one party member use an item in order to help another party member, since you cannot do this in Paper Mario, this is an advantage in Super Mario RPG.

My opponent mentions the badges and how you can increase BP when you level up. There are a few problems with this:

You cannot equip badges on your partners

In Super Mario RPG, when you level ANY of your party members up, not just Mario, their stats go up AND you can give one area a special boost. In Paper Mario, you do not get that automatic upgrade when you level up, just selecting one area to upgrade AND YOUR PARTY MEMBERS STILL CANNOT LEVEL UP.

I never disputed whether Paper Mario had mini games. Super Mario RPG has more, which are more fun,[1]

The point I made with my last point, is that in Super Mario RPG you can level up all your partners a near endless amount of times, while in Paper Mario you can only do that twice.

To begin his rebuttals, my opponent expresses confusion at my argument, and my examples of 'original stories'. What I am trying to get at is that just because a story is 'more original' doesn't mean it is better. The plot of Star Wars is hardly original, but it is far better than other, more original stories.

Next, my opponent argues that having only one partner out at a time means you can be outnumbered. I don't disagree with this, but why is this a bad thing? It adds a bit of challenge to the game. Also, my opponent corrects me by noting partners cannot use items in battle. This is correct, and I should have been more clear on this. However, how does this prove Super Mario RPG is better? Not being able to use items is hardly a major thing given the only character that can take damage is Mario.

My opponent argues badges aren't as good as whatever as in Super Mario RPG, as you can't use them on partners. Once again - how is this a problem? The point of badges is to aid Mario, not his partners. Also, my opponent notes that in Super Mario RPG you and your partners get stat boosts in addition to the special boost. He argues that in Paper Mario you only get the special boost, which is true but deceptive. Why? Paper Mario doesn't focus on the traditional JRPG stat boost format. Stat boosts are primarily accomplished by using badges or finding upgrades to your jump and hammer. Paper Mario has no need for the JRPG stat boost.

Finally, his last two arguments are that the minigames in Super Mario RPG are more fun. How so? He doesn't say. Also, he notes that you can upgrade your partners more times in Super Mario RPG, but you can only do so twice in Paper Mario. That is indeed true, but I've already explained that Paper Mario doesn't use the JRPG stat boost format.

Star Wars was the more original of the examples you gave, a western/medieval set in space. However this has little to nothing to do with the original topic, thus being a strawman argument. If he insists on keeping up with this argument, I should point out that the original Jurassic Park was better than The Lost World and certainly Jurassic Park 3, which goes right in line with the adage that originals are always better. And Super Mario RPG was the original Mario RPG thus making it better.

It may add a challenge, but challenges don't always mean better. It puts you at a disadvantage.

True that your partner in Paper Mario does not take damage, HOWEVER it can suffer turn sacrificing ailments (sleep, dizziness, etc), as they can in Super Mario RPG. The reason why it is better for your partners to be able to use items and have items be used on them, is sufficiency. If your partners aid you so much in Paper Mario, why would you not want them to be able to have items used on them? Why would you not want them to use items such as mushrooms, honey syrup, maple syrup on Mario in order to help your cause, winning battles?

You can only use so many badges at a time. Also, there are countless useless badges, Attack FX A, B, C & D pop in my mind immediately. And those useless badges cost star pieces and coins that could be used for better things

In Paper Mario, Mario is the only one to get ANY boosts during a level up. How is it bad? It is only logical to want your party members to be strong as well. Yes you can obtain all of TWO new moves with your party members, but their attack power does not get enhanced with their so called level ups. So not only does Mario get a smaller stat boost in Paper Mario, but your party members get none.

Here is the problem with Paper Mario's mini games. They are overall useless. Take the Li'l Oink Farm for example. Now I must mention that while My opponent called the Li'l Oink Farm a mini game, I do not consider it to be one. Personal preferences on what to call it aside, The object is this: You pay 10 coins to have an Oink hatched. The Oinks are various colors and patterns. You do this 11 times and when the 11th one hatches, one runs away leaving behind an item. The item depends on what color Oink runs away. the item can be as simple as a dried shroom which only recovers 1 HP[1]. You paid 110 coins for a single item that may or may not do alot of good. Some of the items (such as the dried shroom) can be bought for cheaper at a item shop. Why waste 110 coins on a roulette? This is just a single example of how Paper Mario's mini games are not to par.

Finally I have to ask why my opponent seems to be concerned with pointing out that Paper Mario doesn't follow a JRPG format. Relevance? Maybe the JRPG format is the better format and in proving how Super Mario RPG is better, I proved that the JRPG format is better. Traditional means original, and as stated in my first paragraph of this round, I proved that Original often times means better.

My opponent has now apparently decided that 'originals' are always better than sequels. What evidence does he have? Not any. The claim is just silly - my opponent must never have watched Toy Story 2 or played Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. I think I've already established that just because something is 'original' doesn't mean it is better.

Next, he argues a challenge doesn't necessarily make things better. Sure, but why does one play games other than to be challenged? A victory is far more satisfying when you have to overcome lower odds. That is part of what made movies like Star Wars (or Jurassic Park, as my opponent notes) so great.

My opponent argues that, like in Super Mario RPG, partners in Paper Mario can suffer status ailments. This is false - partners are rarely attacked by enemies, and when they are attacked, they are only stunned for a few turns. Most attacks on partners can be blocked entirely with an Action Command.

Next, my opponent argues you can only use a certain number of badges at a time, and some badges (like FX badges) are useless. To the first point, my opponent is absolutely correct - you can't just throw on every badge you have. This adds to the strategy of the system - if you want more points, are you willing to increase badge points instead of boost heart or flower points? As to the 'useless' badges, I have two things to note: you aren't required to buy any of them unless you want to 100% the game, and, in general, they use no badge points - so they don't do much, but they don't require points. If you don't want them, you aren't required to buy them.

My opponent reiterates his complaint that Paper Mario partners don't get upgrades with level-ups and can only learn two new moves. First off, I want to note Paper Mario has eight partners as opposed to four in Super Mario RPG. Second, I want to note that even if you max-out all your partner's movesets in Super Mario RPG, you only have 21 total moves between your four partners.[1] In Paper Mario, if you max out all of your partner movesets (giving each partner four moves), you have 32 total moves. 32 is greater than 21. Further, contrary to my opponent's claim, your partners in Paper Mario do get increased attack power with each level-up.[2]

My opponent also argues my point on mini-games. He argues Li'l Oink farm isn't a mini-game. True, it may not fall under a very strict definition of mini-game, but it is indeed one. Yes, you can get a dried shroom with the game, but you have to be fairly dumb to do that. Why? Because the pigs drop items in sequential order. If you have a dried shroom, you can pay another 10 coins and get a better item - some pigs drop rare, valuable items like Repel Gel (makes Mario invisible for three turns), Life Shrooms (which revive Mario), Shooting Stars (which damage all enemies on-screen), and Jammin' Jelly and Ultra Shrooms (which restore 50 FP/HP, respectively). The farm is a gambling game and sometimes you win, but sometimes you lose.[3]

Finally my opponent argues Super Mario RPG is better becaues it follows the 'original' JPRG format as opposed to Paper Mario, which has a unique format. This completely contradict's my opponent's key argument that it is better to follow a unique formula than follow the same old one.

Final Rounds are typically for closing arguments, but I never set forth any rules stating as such so I will point out that through out this debate, my opponent, (whom I like, we have stuff in common I can tell) has made a category mistake, made a straw man argument, has conceded several major points whereas I conceded very minor points. We actually agree on a few things.

I do have to point out that my opponent contradicts himself when he says that your partners are "rarely attacked" by enemies and when they are attacked it only stuns them for a few turns, and thus it is a false statement for me to say that they too suffer status ailments. Fact is, whether it is rarely or commonly, they still can suffer status ailments because they can be "stunned for a few turns"

Every other point he tried to refute, I have successfully argued my points, he just seems to go in circles.

All in all thank you to my opponent for this debate, I enjoyed it. Almost had me stumped a few times.

Before I begin my closing statements and rebuttals, I'd like to thank my opponent for challenging me to this debate. It's nice to see a fellow user who is a fan of Mario RPGs, and it has been a pleasure debating you. With that out of the way, on to my final round:

In my opening arguments, I established multiple reasons that Paper Mario is a superior Mario RPG to Super Mario RPG. In particular, I focused on the following key aspects:
*I established that Paper Mario utilizes a unique art design, with characters and backgrounds being designed to almost seem like they pop out of a storybook. This isn't just an aesthetic choice, as the 'paper' feel is also utilized in puzzles. I noted that Super Mario RPG is, in comparison, a standard JRPG that doesn't utilize a unique art design. I also noted that, as both games were released near the end of their console's lifespans, they both use their console's power to the best it can be done.
*I established that the music of Paper Mario is superb, especially considering the fairly weak sound capabilities the N64 offers.
*I established that Paper Mario offers a unique take on the traditional Mario story, as for once Bowser (who has stolen the wish-granting Star Rod) has the clear upper hand. To even stand a chance against him, Mario must rescue the seven Star Spirits, in hopes that they can strip Bowser of the Star Rod's power. I also noted the game allows you to control Peach, who is covertly aiding Mario from inside the castle.
*I established Paper Mario places a heavy emphasis on both puzzle-solving and platforming. Puzzles are not only solved by using Mario's jump and hammer abilities, but also by using the unique abilities each of his partners offers.
*I noted that battles in Paper Mario perfect the 'action commands' introduced in Super Mario RPG, offering a uniquely interactive RPG experience.
*I established that there are a ton of new abilities for Mario and his partners to learn. In addition to learning a new power from each saved Star Spirit, Mario can learn new abilities by equipping badges, and partners learn new abilities by finding blocks hidden throughout the vast world.

Right out of the way, it is clear my opponent didn't contest my arguments on artistic design and music at any point in the debate; thus, I assume he has conceded that Paper Mario has a superior art design and soundtrack. For the most part, this debate revolved around the story and battle format - I didn't see my opponent arguing against my points on the platforming and puzzle-solving aspects of Paper Mario. My opponent has (generally) argued that the story of Super Mario RPG is superior because it doesn't follow the traditional Mario story, while I have argued that just because a story is 'original' doesn't make it better. My opponent has also argued the battle system in Super Mario RPG is better because you have one more partner in battle, partners can level-up in-battle, and Mario has more moves in Super Mario RPG. I've debunked these points by noting that you have twice as many partners to choose from in Paper Mario (choosing 1 of 8 is better than choosing 2 of 4), partners can level-up outside of battle, and that Mario can learn from any of a vast number of new moves through badges, including attacks that cause status ailments, boost attack power, break through defense, and hit multiple enemies. I also noted that the total number of moves your partners can learn in Paper Mario, 32, is far more than the 21 combined moves available in Super Mario RPG.

In his (rather short) final round, my opponent makes only a few arguments. His only real argument is about my definition of the word 'status ailments' - in R4, my opponent argued that you should be able to use items on partners because partners can get status ailments. I responded by noting partners are rarely attacked, and can only be stunned for a few turns. In R5 my opponent argues that is a status ailment - I disagree. I think it is deceptive to argue that there are 'status ailments' that affect partners, and than admit there is only one. Even if it is a status ailment, there is no item in the game that cures stunning, making my opponent's case a moot point.

As we close down the debate, I would like to urge the voters to look at which debater proved their case better, as there is no assigned burden of proof. If you think my opponent proved Super Mario RPG is better, vote Pro. If you think I proved Paper Mario is better, vote Con. But, that said, vote Con - I think I have clearly proven Paper Mario is superior.
Posted by kingcripple 2 years ago
I wish I knew how to put pictures on the debate. I wouldve done better haha
Vote Placed by YYW 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I have played neither of these games, and from what I can tell, I wouldn't like either of them. But, I'm on the council so here's the RFD: CON makes a compelling point about presentation/aesthetics generally that he carries through the debate. The music point didn't do much for me. Gameplay, like the visual point, CON carried as well. PRO didn't do much to make the case for Legend, he just described how it worked. CON, therefore, wins. As an aside, the biggest hurdle for me is getting me to care at all about the debate. It's the debater's responsibility to make me, as a judge, want to continue to read this. Neither side did a really good job with that, which is confusing to me. When we're talking about "better" where "better" is necessarily subjective, I would have liked to know why you like these games so much. CON did a better job of that than PRO did.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Generally, I think Pro has to do more to show that more versatility in playing, originality, and better minigames equate to a better playing experience. From the outset, Con links all of his points to what makes a game "better," stating all of the reasons why the playing experience is improved based on a number of factors. On most of Pro's best issues, Con at least mitigates if not straight turning the points, especially when it comes to difficulty. Pro essentially decides not to use his last round to conclude his arguments, rather just to give some last bit of rebuttal and then state that he obviously wins. I think this shows a complete lack of understanding what happened here - Con kept having to argue the same points because Pro never gave sufficient response. I'm also giving sources to Con, since his were the most effective at making the point in this debate.
Vote Placed by Romanii 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: There were 4 parts to the debate: art, music, story line, and game play. Pro totally dropped art and music, which automatically gives Con quite a large advantage here... As for story line, Con conceded that Seven Stars has a more original one, but he also gives a convincing case that originality does not equate to superiority. Pro largely misunderstood and ignored this case, giving Con an even bigger advantage in this debate... the game play part of the debate went back and forth for a while, but ultimately, Pro's extremely lacking conclusion compared to Con's extensive one lost that part for him as well. Very interesting read, especially for a former Mario games fan such as myself... it almost made me want to go and start playing those games again :D