youngpolitic
McBain

Superman can defeat Batman in battle

youngpolitic

Pro

Obviously Superman can kick Batmans butt any day any time. Some people do not think this is the case so I just want to clear the air on this.

1) Superman is SUPER (its in his name) he only has one weakness, Kryptonite, and last time I check Bats was just a normal guy.

2) Superman has super powers. Batman does not. (He is smart and a martial arts genius but can that really beat super strength and flying? Come on people.)

Just because you love Batman doesn't mean he can beat Superman. Sorry fans. Superman is just SUPERior.
McBain

Con

Superman is indeed a mighty hero revered by all, both enemy and ally. Thing about super heroes is they are always analyzing each other in event that they must one day be on opposite sides of a battle. It is true that Batman is only human, but likened to heroes such as Spiderman, one of Bat's strengths as a hero is that of a superior mind. Your main contention is:

"1) Superman is SUPER (its in his name) he only has one weakness, Kryptonite, and last time I check Bats was just a normal guy."

Your second point is moot.

In the end it comes down to mind over matter. Batman and Superman are a prime reflection of these extremes. Of all individuals in the DC comic universe, Batman would indeed be one of the best equipped to deal with Superman. Another of Bat's greatest assets/superpowers is that of wealth. Kryptonite does indeed exist but is very rare. Batman would be able to finance a search and purchase what Kryptonite there might be, as well as mastermind and finance a means of artificially manufacturing the glowing rock.

In a direct one on one fight, fist against fist, Superman would clearly have the advantage. However Batman would never directly confront superman in such a fashion. He would use his superior mind to create tactical advantage over Superman or to outwit him, whether it actually require the use of Kryptonite or not.

All heroes are duly wary of superman, but all fear the bat. Fear is the very essence of Batman's ethos. All heroes size each other up, but nobody can truly predict what the Dark Knight has up his sleeve.
youngpolitic

Pro

Thanks for taking this debate.

Both of your arguments support my overall point and can be used to fuel my own arguments.

You say Batman has a "superior mind" but you underestimate Superman's own mind. He is not an idiot and is very smart himself. Just as Batman is constantly sizing up his opponents, Superman is doing the same. Superman is very aware of Bats' wealth and power. He is also aware of his mind. Superman would not be so dumb as to wander into a dangerous situation involving Batman. He knows his own strengths and weaknesses.

You say that Superman would have the clear advantage over Batman in a fist fight. I agree but you say that Batman would never confront Superman in such a way. Well if they are in a battle but not fighting with fists then how would Batman win. You bring up fear, tactics and overall cheap shots but would those actually work against Superman in an open fight? If Batman wanted to take Superman out I agree that he would have the means to if Superman did not know it was coming. If Bats took him on assassination style then sure but I'm talking about an open fight. A battle. A fight where both sides know that their opponent is after them and that a fight is inevitable. In this case Superman would obviously win. Not only does he know all of Batman's tricks, he also knows how he thinks. Since Superman knows all of these things about the Bat I would assume that he would know how to watch his back against his trickery. As for fear, I really don't think Batman's fear tactics would work on Superman. Can you really see Superman getting spooked by a couple of shadows? Those work on ordinary criminals but not on the Man of Steel. Even kryptonite doesn't spook him that much.

Lastly regarding your note on kryptonite, Superman has fought opponents using kryptonite before and he has won. It is his greatest and only major weakness and he knows that. Since he knows it's his weakness I'm sure he knows how to deal with it.
McBain

Con

Firstly I would like to revisit the title of your debate which is "Superman would defeat Batman in battle," which happens to be a pretty general statement. That being the case, I would like to clarify the specifics of your argument, which I will quote you on. "Obviously Superman can kick Batman's butt any day any time."

This being the case, you have already admitted defeat by agreeing that at least, some of the time, Batman would be able to defeat Superman in conflict.

In your second argument you say "If Bats took him on assassination style then sure, but I'm talking about an open fight. A battle. A fight where both sides know that their opponent is after them and that a fight is inevitable." which happens NOT to be the argument that we are debating here. That being said, the very same statement affirms what I have already said, that in a situation where both sides know their opponents are after them, and a fight is inevitable, Batman would most definitely have the advantage.

I am not saying Superman is a meat-head, but one of Batman's super powers is that of superior mind, and extensive, even obsessive, preparation and planning against any and ALL foes he may face. That includes his allies as well. Unfortunately I must say that time and time again Superman has in fact been so dumb as to wander into MANY traps set for him. This is due in part to the fact that because of Superman's powers he does not always, nor NEED to plan for traps.

Next you argue "Not only does he know all of Batman's tricks, he also knows how he thinks." This is indeed a falsity, because NOBODY knows all of Batman's tricks nor how he thinks. (not even Batman) That is just plain untrue. Batman's super power is not spooking foes with shadows but outwitting them and using psychological warfare. Superman once again has proved himself susceptible to influence upon his mind. Superman has made a career out of limiting his powers so that he won't hurt people, both good and bad. He would hold back in a battle with Batman, where as Batman is more morally flexible and would go the extra distance to beat or kill Supes if need be.

As to the kryptonite argument, its effectiveness is different from author to author. It can range from slowing sapping Superman's power to outright killing him. Assuming the latter, all Batman would need is possession of kryptonite to beat superman. In fact, superman at one point even gave Batman a kryptonite ring in event that he would need to be taken down. Why give it to Batman and not any other hero? Because Batman is the most capable of dealing with the Super slugger.
youngpolitic

Pro

youngpolitic forfeited this round.
McBain

Con

It is a shame my opponent had to forfeit his final round. It seems Batman has caused him to run in fear!

My resolution stands, as does Batman after this epic fight. Vote con!
Posted by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
While I wholeheartedly disagree with his position, Con presented the better case.
Posted by Brewmaster 7 years ago
Brewmaster
Yeah dude, Batman would make gloves or some shizzle outa kryptonite, the totally KARATE CHOP that punk bitch Suckerman back into outa space!

Or maybe he'd be all like "Yo homes you want sum to drink?" And Suckerman would be all like "Yeah let's get crunk!" So Batmizzle would pour some of his 40 into a kryptonite studded cup, cause that's how he rolls. Supa heros gotta keep it real!
Posted by McBain 7 years ago
McBain
If you wish to debate this topic in greater length, might I suggest you make your own post to further discussion?
Posted by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
I was going to propose this exact debate this week! Favorite'd
Posted by Justinisthecrazy 7 years ago
Justinisthecrazy
if we could type 8,000 characters i'd accept I hate feeling rushed for space
Vote Placed by Viper-King 5 years ago
Viper-King
youngpoliticMcBainTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con won arguments
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 5 years ago
ConservativePolitico
youngpoliticMcBainTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct for Con due to forfeit but argument points for Pro. I liked his stance.
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
youngpoliticMcBainTied
Reasons for voting decision: counter vote bomb
Vote Placed by Riddick 7 years ago
Riddick
youngpoliticMcBainTied
Vote Placed by youngpolitic 7 years ago
youngpolitic
youngpoliticMcBainTied
Vote Placed by kukupser 7 years ago
kukupser
youngpoliticMcBainTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
youngpoliticMcBainTied