8bitdiedie
Shawn_Hartnell

Superman is an under-appreciated character nowadays

8bitdiedie has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

8bitdiedie

Pro

I will be arguing in favour of Superman being an under-appreciated character. I hold the position that Superman is a heavily philosophical and meaningful character, as well as an idol for others, and that the character's decline in popularity and criticism is built on a blind misunderstanding of the character.

There should be a few things established:
1. This is the DC comic version of the character we are talking about. Not the character's representation in movies/video games etc.
2. This applies to both the main canon version of the character and alternate versions of the character (eg. his appearance in All-Star Superman).
3. Due to the huge amount of stories/versions of the character I am mostly talking about to the character's peak portrayals and not ones that have little popularity or acclaim.

Alright, let's go
Shawn_Hartnell

Con

By under-appreciated I can only assume you mean appreciated by the masses, In which case the full depth of the character has NEVER been appreciated outside of a handful of people who understand that depth.

For everyone else, he's a collection of superpowers in tights that's also allergic to kryptonite.
8bitdiedie

Pro

I guess it's just a matter of getting the right film director to make a good, in-depth Superman movie, similar to C. Nolan and the Dark Knight trilogy.

So this isn't much of a debate is it? Oh well.
Shawn_Hartnell

Con

Not really. I get where you're coming from though.