Sustainable Development And Climate Change

Not until the spread of the Industrial Revolution in the late nineteenth century, has man possessed the ability to adversely alter, on a global scale, the geologic and climatic cycles that have existed for millennia. Planet earth, which man calls home, is approximately 5 billion years old. The science of paleontology tells us that man is a relative new comer to the planet. Modern man did not arrive on the scene until approximately 10,000 to 15,000 years ago. Developments in hunting, agriculture, literacy, and the sciences, have allowed man to thrive and inhabit nearly every corner of the planet. However, this success has not been good for the earth. The world's population has recently surpassed 6 billion and the developed countries community models and lifestyles are not sustainable.

Due to rapid, unrestrained growth, housing, shopping, and entertainment construction has spread across the surface of the planet like an oil slick. We are depleting resources and altering ecosystems at an alarming rate. Only now are we beginning to comprehend the long-term effects of more than a century of environmental ignorance, neglect, and apathy.

My opponent's entire first round was copypasta from here:
I thank the commenters who brought this to my attention.

Now, since my opponent's rant does not make any real points in his favor, I will simply make my case and explain why my opponent's case does not fulfill his burden [that is, if his plagiarized first round should count at all].

As you can see, one of the things my opponent is arguing FOR in this debate is Sustainable Development. My opponent must argue FOR both Sustainable development AND climate change.

I am here to tell you, ladies and gentlemen, that development is not sustainable, and I am therefore against the concept of sustainable development. Development requires that we take something that is undeveloped and develop it. However, we reach a point where we can no longer develop any further.

My opponent has only helped in showing this. he indeed azrgues that development is not sustainable. He as in the source he plagiarized from, of course.

And my opponent has certainly made no case in favor of climate change, which he must do to fulfill the AND of the resolution. As CON, I have many avenues of argumentation. I can argue against sustainable development, or I can argue against climate change. Or I could argue against both. For now, what I have done will suffice. I hope my opponent brings his own content to the table next round, or at least properly cites the original authors if he is incapable of making his own argument.

itzshikhar forfeited this round.

Since my opponent has not questioned my argument, it stands.

And now, a story:

An elderly man was sitting alone on a dark path. He wasn't sure of which direction to go, and he'd forgotten both where he was traveling to...and who he was.

He'd sat down for a moment to rest his weary legs, and suddenly looked up to see an elderly woman before him.

She grinned toothlessly and with a cackle, spoke: "Now your third wish. What will it be?"

"Third wish?" The man was baffled. "How can it be a third wish if I haven’t had a first and second wish?"

"You’ve had two wishes already," the hag said, "but your second wish was for me to return everything to the way it was before you had made your first wish. That’s why you remember nothing; because everything is the way it was before you made any wishes." She cackled at the poor man. "So it is that you have one wish left."

"All right," he said hesitantly, "I don't believe this, but there's no harm in trying. I wish to know who I am."

"Funny," said the old woman as she granted his wish and disappeared forever. "That was your first wish..."

itzshikhar forfeited this round.

My opponent has been a no-show, probably due to being called out for his plagiarism.

And now, I leave you with a YouTube video to watch, mostly because I want to test this new feature.
Posted by Who 8 years ago
&#8217 is an apostrophe. I guess I pasted that story from a site that uses a different character set.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Copypasta? On MY

Posted by s0m31john 8 years ago
Hey India

Not going to fool me here with your correct spelling and punctuation. I see what you did there.

Way to copy and paste

Marked as India Spam.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF.