jabie
MegaDan

Swear words should not be considered inappropriate

jabie

Pro

I will be arguing that swear words should not be frowned apon or considered "bad". My opponent will be arguing that swear words are inappropriate for some/all people, and that they are considered bad for a reason. (though if my opponent has a slightly altered opinion than my example, that's alright too.)
MegaDan

Con

I will debate you on this, as i believe the opposite is true.

Please continue to post your first round argument.
jabie

Pro

To start my argument, I would like to say that although I do not think swear words are bad in general, I still don't agree that little kids should be going around sounding like sailors. Perhaps that sounds a bit hypocritical in my case, but my main focus will be targeting teenagers-adults, which do many things that children do not. First off, I think that the biggest reason that swear words are considered so "bad" is because they're often offensive- ( b.itch, a.ss, d.ouche, etc) - but what makes non-curse words with the SAME MEANING okay? Bitch vs brat, dumba.ss vs dumb or idiot, and so on. This same question also applies to non-offensive words such as fu.ck vs flip or frick, da.mn vs dang, sh.it vs shoot, h.ell vs heck- you get the idea. If one word with the exact same meaning is "acceptable", then why isn't the next word? Not to mention, they ARE normally very similar in spelling and only a few letters different. I can understand the offense taken by words which are demeaning (when they're racist, homophobic, sexist, etc), but I don't agree that words which are simply said when someone trips or gets an F on a test, should be frowned apon. ALSO: when I tried to post this originally, the website wouldn't let me because of the "profanities". I had to put periods in my curse words to get this to send, but I didn't have to do anything to the words with the SAME MEANING that aren't considered "as bad"... Only proving my point even further.
MegaDan

Con

Swear words have a very specific purpose and reason for use, for example, if you find yourself in pain, studies have found that swearing can reduce the pain by up to 50%, this is known as the Hypoalgesic effect, you can read more about that here, and the studies if you wish.
http://news.bbc.co.uk...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

Using a swear word in that situation is useful and can be involuntary, the issue i have with swearing, is when it creeps into everyday discourse; The reason for a swear word to exist is for it to have a shock factor/insult factor when spoken, once a word becomes common and used everyday, it loses that value.

Words do not start out as swear words, for example: Retarded, N*gro and Sp*stic all began as non offensive terms, which then became offensive as people began to insult each other with them, so then people made up new non offensive words, for example, one hundred years ago, you would refer to a physically disabled person as 'crippled' but this became derogatory, so they changed the name to 'handicapped' but again, this became derogatory, so now in the 21st century the correct term is 'physically disabled'.

So this explains why non curse words are okay, whereas curse words are not okay, it is because words change over time and swear words are always evolving and changing meaning.

Now when i was a child, the most awful word i ever heard was the F*** word, i never heard it on TV, i rarely heard anyone say it out loud and if i did hear someone say it, my mum would be nearby to tell me, oh what a rude person, so i grew up with a knowledge that it was rude, but nowadays, i hear it inserted into every conversation between people of all classes and it's just become a filler word, it doesn't even have any meaning or shock value or purpose anymore, it's started to have the same level of impact as 'oh my god' Which dare i say a few hundred years ago was a terrible curse, of course i still don't say the F*** word, and i don't believe people should generally, because...

Swearing in my opinion makes you seem uneducated, lacking vocabulary to use a better word and to be honest, if someone starts swearing or cursing i have a tendency to switch off and not take that persons opinion with any real weight, whenever i see people begin an argument in a youtube comments section for example, it just becomes a fight to see who can throw the most abuse at one another, which i do not think is right, nor should it be condoned.

By making these swear words commonplace we are making ourselves look highly unintellectual, i don't know where you are from or how it's like in other parts of the world but when someone swears here in the UK, just in a sentence, you will build an opinion of that person as uneducated and be unable to take them seriously, If you look at someone like, Gordon Ramsey, who is perhaps famous for his swearing, he manages to fit some swear word into almost every line he says they just lose meaning. it becomes incessant, it becomes background noise and you can't take him seriously, he is a comic character and anyone like him in real life would be fired.

We can not stop people creating swear words, and we can't stop people from saying them, but to say, 'Swear words should not be considered inappropriate' is totally wrong, Swear Words are inappropriate, there only reason for being is to insult or abuse people, specifically minorities, they serve no beneficiary service except to relieve pain or maybe help someone deal with anger, but in most cases, a swear word is used to insult someone.

And i do not find that tasteful, or appropriate!

Do you?
jabie

Pro

jabie forfeited this round.
MegaDan

Con

You have forfeited Round 3, i am not writing another essay as i have said anything i would like to say at the moment.
jabie

Pro

jabie forfeited this round.
MegaDan

Con

You have again forfeited your round, I have nothing further to add.