govitz147
bballer83

Swimming deserves more recognition and should be on the same level as baseball, football, etc

Started: 12/17/2015 Category: Sports

govitz147

Pro

I believe that swimming deserves more recognition. It is much harder than traditional meets and requires much more physical exertion.
bballer83

Con

I disagree. Swimming does take a lot of physical exertion, but it is not popular to watch. Other sports, like basketball, football, or baseball, are fan favorites for a reason. They were all created in America. Basketball was created by James Naismith in America, Walter Camp created football at Yale, and Doubleday created baseball in New York. These sports then took popularity because they were created in the hometown. Swimming on the other hand can be a hobby.
govitz147

Pro

govitz147 forfeited this round.
bballer83

Con

bballer83 forfeited this round.
govitz147

Pro

Sorry for not posting the last round. I had a school project and swim team to take care of.

For my first counter argument I will address my opponents first claim. " but it is not popular to watch", this is not true as swimming is the most watched sport in the Olympics and the second most played sport in the UK and China, so that makes this argument obsolete. Next, my opponent said " They were all created in America. Basketball was created by James Naismith in America, Walter Camp created football at Yale, and Doubleday created baseball in New York. These sports then took popularity because they were created in the hometown. " First of all, a sports origin does not make it popular. Soccer was not created in America and it is very popular. And finally, and probably the MOSt mentioned and opinionated argument that I am always told, "Swimming on the other hand can be a hobby." First of all, I am talking about full on COMPETTITIVE swimming, which is most definitely not a hobby. Everyday I spend 4-8 hours practicing. I go 7 times a week, two times a day, so I would say that this is not a hobby!
bballer83

Con

bballer83 forfeited this round.
govitz147

Pro

Con has not made a rebuttal so my point stays valid
bballer83

Con

bballer83 forfeited this round.
govitz147

Pro

govitz147 forfeited this round.
bballer83

Con

bballer83 forfeited this round.