flyingace
wisegirl70901

Swimming in the Ocean is Better than Swimming in a Public Pool 2.0

flyingace

Pro

This house believes that swimming in the ocean is better than swimming in a public pool.

Argument 1) When swimming in the ocean, one has experience(s) that are psychologically and physically good. For example, one might feel free and alive when in the salty ocean water; perhaps even a connection with Earth. Salt water clears one's sinuses and has been proven to be an effective healing method. Being subjected to such things is healthy.

Argument 2) The health effects of swimming in a public pool are utterly atrocious. I begin this argument by stating that the Centers for Control and Disease made an appalling discovery earlier this year of despicably high levels of fecal matter are present in most public pools. Recreational water illnesses have increased by 200% between the years of 2004 and 2008.

The first health effect to be discussed is asthma, caused by chlorine and chloramine byproduct inhalation. Studies have shown that simply lessening exposure has had surprisingly significant effects, to the extent of no longer needing an asthma inhaler.

The second health effect under discussion is the Legionnaires' Disease, a bacterium lung disease. This is a variation of pneumonia that can be fatal, under certain circumstances (depending on the varied intricate characteristics of the illness). This disease occurs naturally in human-made environments, explaining why it is so commonly found in indoor public pools. Legionnaire's Disease occurs via inhalation of bacteria in water vapour.

Several well-known effects include swimmer's ear (when water remains in one's ear for an extended period of time, causing the bacteria to grow and cause an infection), and athlete's foot, which I shall not waste time describing, for one is daft if unaware of this ever-so-common fungal infection.

The last effect under discussion is also very well known, however surprising in this context. A very big generalization is that public pools are proven to be carcinogenic. To break this down, as leaving the above statement so open and general would do nothing but hurt this house's argument, I shall state that studies have shown that swimming for 40 minutes has caused (a significant amount of times) carcinogenic genetic mutations. The main cancers up for discussion are lung cancers, nasal cancers, and skin cancers, however, chlorine can cause genetic mutations anywhere on your body, for it is absorbed into your skin, by your skin.

This concludes my opening arguments.
wisegirl70901

Con

First of all, there are significant amounts of "fecal waste" in oceans, too. You're swimming in fish (and shark, and whale, and jellyfish, you get my point) poop! Literally! In pools you have chlorine to kill bacteria, not so much in oceans. You aren't only swimming in fecal matters, either. Do you remember the BP oil spills? All of them? And the numerous other oil spills, from different companies? The seas are constantly being bombarded by ships leaking fuel and chemicals into the marine wildlife's environment. And that's where you let your friends, family, and co-workers swim? You might argue that water evaporates, and there is constant water change. Guess what? Oil doesn't evaporate! Even though the sea is vast, 2/3 of Earth, it is still filled with poisonous materials.
Secondly, swimming makes you feel good. Period. We both agree on that. But I think that swimming in a pool gives the same effects of swimming in the ocean: Feeling of weightlessness? Check. Exercise? Check. Crystal clear water? I'm sorry, ocean, but the pool's got you there. I've seen some gross looking oceans, like I stated previously. And as for the salt water clearing out your sinuses? Well, there's something for that. A Neti Pot! For readers who haven't come in contact with it, it's a little pot where you can put salt water in, and if you use it to clean your sinuses, it's quite effective. I think it's better to expect the salt water going down your nose than to be swimming and suddenly have the (fish-poopy) Pacific Ocean cascading down your nose. Even though this does happen in pools, the effects are not quite as shocking.
Third, anyone can get athlete's foot, pool or not! I will describe athlete's foot, for my opponent "Shall not waste time describing, for one is daft if unaware of this ever-so-common fungal infection." I don't think it will earn you any votes to insult anybody, Pro. "Athlete's foot, or tinea pedis (tin-ee-uh peh-dus), is a common skin infection that is caused by a fungus, a plant-like microorganism too small to be seen by the naked eye. This fungus eats old skin cells. Although athlete's foot occurs mostly among teen and young adult guys, kids and women can get it, too. People with sweaty or damp feet are at risk. But just having the fungus on your feet isn't enough to cause the infection. The infection happens if conditions are right for the fungus to grow."
-http://kidshealth.org...
Having wet or sweaty feet are perfect conditions for the fungus to grow. Sweaty like when you're playing volleyball by the ocean all day, or the hot sand that a bunch of other people walked on, or that pontoon you went boating and swimming on. Pools aren't the only victims here.

I rest my case. Let the best swimmer win.
flyingace

Pro

I find it amusing how you incorrectly counter my arguments. For example, one of my main points was to express why the chemical disinfectants added to public pool water was so bad. You do not get the topic. THE PROBLEM IS THE CHEMICALS. And yes, I remember the oil spills. The problem with this argument is that science defies it. Let's go back to the basics. Four oil molecules, eight water molecules. The oil molecules are submerged into the eight water molecules, and disperse evenly. Now take this into a wider perspective and look at the seven oceans which cover 2/3 of the Earth, as you so kindly mentioned. It is incorrect of you to state that the "SEAS are constantly being bombarded by ships leaking fuel and chemicals into the marine wildlife's environment," for we are debating the OCEANS compared to PUBLIC POOLS. Even if OCEANS was understood, the argument would still be incorrect, for you have no evidence backing your argument stating that the oceans are CONSTANTLY being bombarded. Also, I do not "let" my friends, family, and co-workers swim in the ocean. It is a choice based on free will, not pertaining to this debate. Also, you have no proof that the SEA (notice, you said one, as there is, as you seem to think, only one massive body of water known as "the sea") is FILLED with poisonous materials. Any reason why you did not name any examples? If you are to argue that "the sea" is FILLED with such, it would be nice to know with what. And, I counter your argument that swimming in the ocean gives you the same effects as in a POOL (notice, you did not specify whether public or personal- the debate is on public). First of all, even if the fact that the "genre" of pool was understood as public, your argument would be considered non sequitur, because you are basically saying here that it doesn't matter whether you swim in a POOL or the ocean. It has the same effects. Once again, where is the evidence? Also, studies have shown that one receives more exercise via swimming in ocean compared to in public pools. For example, swimming against waves is great for muscle build up. Also, salt water is excellent for assisting with speed and buoyancy while swimming.

On to sinuses, I am aware of a Neti Pot. And yes, if you truly did want to spend money on one when you could get a better and more natural way, via the ocean, go ahead. Also, to clarify, salt water clears one's sinuses via nasal inhalation. It is the only way to do so naturally (meaning without such things as a Neti Pot. Now you introduce the Pacific Ocean. I am beginning to question your reasoning, based on recent references made, (i.e. sea, the sea, ocean, and now, Pacific Ocean.) If you are really that confused on the topic under debate, I suggest you re-read the title of this debate.

I am confused to your statement "Even though this does happen in pools, the effects are not quite as shocking," for it comes out of nowhere with no follow up (or prior) explanation.

Lastly, my statement on athlete's foot taken incorrectly, for the word daft has two meanings (one meaning stupid, and the other meaning fantastic- which I was using as comic relief. However, I understand how there could be a misconception. I do apologize to the readers. However, Con, I must hack at you for giving what looks like two paragraphs on Athlete's foot, which is not what the debate is on.

This concludes. Thank you.
wisegirl70901

Con

wisegirl70901 forfeited this round.
flyingace

Pro

The opposition forfeited this debate, and for this reason, along with my superior arguments, I should win this debate.
wisegirl70901

Con

wisegirl70901 forfeited this round.