LaurenSwims
clock20

Swimming is a sport

Started: 2/26/2014 Category: Sports

LaurenSwims

Pro

We are demanded to have a total body workout. You have to be both physically and mentally prepared. Swimming practices in the mornings (4:45-7:30) and at night (3-6:30). Its very time consuming. You can spend years to shave off .3 seconds off your time. You are against yourself. You need stamina, and the willingness to hold your breath as you work out. Have you tried doing a sport without breathing. Its a little like that. You also have to train year round, which costs ALOT. You get almost no time to yourself, and practice 6 days a week, twice a day. Once swimmers get in the water, they don't stop. And you can't take off time because more than 4 days away from swimming and you lose strength and speed you have to watch what you eat, and so much personal sacrifice, like a social life, money, and memories. You don't really look if your place is good, its about your time. so you're constantly facing against yourself. Also, at swim meets, you're only in the water for about 5 minutes, but they last 5 hours. Its a time dedicated sport just to get your 5 seconds of fame. Your technique has to be perfect otherwise you may injure yourself very easily. You also have to be a team player. most people think its not a 'team sport' but it actually is. You constantly are cheering for other team mates and making sure they're doing good. You are constantly training, just so no one will recognize you, or see it as a sport. The only time swimming gets any recognition is during the Olympics, which every swimmer strives for. But swimming has the hardest cuts, because your percentage of getting in the Olympics is minimal. Swimming doesn't have leagues for older people. You train and train and train, just to find yourself for "no reason" I've played almost every sport, including football and wrestling, to tell you football is VERY easy sport. You just follow through on what your coach tells you to do. Wrestling is a hard sport, I won't lie. But in high school wrestling, (I've seen it with my own eyes) if you're strong you need no technique. I think wrestling needs more recognition though. But if anyone says swimming isn't a sport, read this, and please, try to tell me it isn't. Also, swim teams go up against other teams. You go against other people in a race, and you go against other people for their times. the definition of sport is "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." and that is what swimming does. You have a lot of physical exertion and skill, and you are competing against other individuals and teams" for entertainment. (definition from dictionary.com)
clock20

Con

swimming is not a sport it is more of a fun activity you do on your off time
LaurenSwims

Pro

LaurenSwims forfeited this round.
clock20

Con

clock20 forfeited this round.
LaurenSwims

Pro

LaurenSwims forfeited this round.
clock20

Con

clock20 forfeited this round.
LaurenSwims

Pro

LaurenSwims forfeited this round.
clock20

Con

clock20 forfeited this round.
LaurenSwims

Pro

LaurenSwims forfeited this round.
clock20

Con

clock20 forfeited this round.
Posted by jman31697 3 years ago
jman31697
This is not a debate.
Posted by bmbaker27 3 years ago
bmbaker27
I agree that this topic isn't very debatable. A better topic may be that swimming deserves more recognition and should be on the same level as football, basketball, and baseball. I would be willing to debate you on that.
Posted by Taylur 3 years ago
Taylur
This is a truism rather than a debatable topic, I think.