Cjnair24
greatkitteh

Syrian conflict: Should we help Syria in a humanitarian effort to support democracy in Syria?

Cjnair24

Pro

Hi my name is Cory, and I'll be on the side defending Syria in their quest for reach democracy and independence for Syria I'll be producing facts on how the Syrian people needs our help in order to be able to have democracy in the country for their people. I'll be producing facts and casualties of this conflict and the next round how to help the people.

Fact 1.) More than 200,000 Syrians have lost their lives in four years of armed conflict, which began with anti-government protests before escalating into a full-scale civil war. More than 11 million others have been forced from their homes as forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad and those opposed to his rule battle each other - as well as jihadist militants from Islamic State. This is the story of the civil war so far, in eight short chapters.

Fact 2.) By June 2013, the UN said 90,000 people had been killed in the conflict. However, by August 2014 that figure had more than doubled to 191,000 - and continued to climb to 220,000 by March 2015, according to activists and the UN.

Fact 3.) A UN commission of inquiry, investigating alleged human rights violations since March 2011, has evidence that those on both sides of the conflict have committed war crimes - including murder, torture, rape and enforced disappearances. Government and rebel forces have also been accused by investigators of using civilian suffering, such as blocking access to food, water and health services, as a method war.
In February 2014, a UN Security Council resolution demanded all parties end the "indiscriminate employment of weapons in populated areas". Since then, activists say more than 6,000 civilians have been killed by barrel bombs dropped by government aircraft on rebel-held areas. The UN says in some instances, civilian gatherings have been deliberately targeted, constituting massacres.

Source: WWW.BBC.com/world/MiddleEast March 12, 2015
greatkitteh

Con

Dempsey warned that military intervention would likely carry a multi-billion-dollar price tag and could ultimately blow up in Washington's face.
"We have learned from the past 10 years, however, that it is not enough to simply alter the balance of military power without careful consideration of what is necessary in order to preserve a functioning state," the general wrote in his letter, referencing America's bloody engagements in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The Chairman of defense Admits America would go to mass debt, Social unrest, and end in Death instead of democracy.

The Money Used for Syria, Our own Chairman Of Defense says, , Is Multi-Billion. Our Own Chairman also Said It's Possibke that it blow up in america's face. Thus, America Shoukd Not intervene in syria.
Cjnair24

Pro

Your thinking of the negatives instead of the positives. If we can get Assad out of power then we could help Syria build a pro democracy Gov't. Don't you think we should give Syria a chance at being free. I understand the consequences, but I think that an intervention is needed. We need to have the FSA( Free Syrian Army) run Isis and the rest of the groups that are running a muck and killing thousands of unicorns Christians. In my view I think that Syria's people shouldn't be thrown out of there own country for Assad and the rest of the groups to be monopolized.
greatkitteh

Con

Rebuttals
1. The Casulties are not ONLY assad Inflicted. Also, If you looked at my source, You'll see That America would prolong, Not shorten the war. This, America should not be involved.

2 Again, Not all of them are from assasd. The rebels Have Killed People too. In fact, Our i terfereing usually kills more civilians than the actual target.

3. Your Source says BOTH sides. Rebel forces have been Doing war crimes, according to your own Argument.

Also, If your wanting to keep syria in syria, The americans Intervenering, OR Supporting terrorists Iverthrpw assad Isn't the way to do it

To continue, Assad is fighting ISIS, America can't Sweep iver ISIS by overthrowing Assad. If they can, They would do it, However, Ovethrrowing Assad doesn't mean Winning the war on terror.
Cjnair24

Pro

Cjnair24 forfeited this round.
Posted by Cjnair24 1 year ago
Cjnair24
To FrozenLichBox, one way to support this effort is to get all of the extremist out of their and bring the people back to Syria that are fleeing from their country. The reason why they are fleeing from Syria is that Isis and other al-Qaida terrorist groups are running the Christians from their homeland. We should try to put some financial sanctions on these groups that will prevent them from trying to taki g over more middle eastern territory. These are some of my mandates that I would put in. And get Asadd out of power. He's getting more support from other terrorist groups and not only that, he's getting support from Russia as well.
Posted by Cjnair24 1 year ago
Cjnair24
I was posting facts and casulties about how we can help the Syrian people. Don't they have the right to be free like us are you implying that we don't need to give Syria the chance to run their own Gov't. The reason why our democracy isn't true, is because we've let our Gov't officials run our lives and take us over. All I'm trying to say that everyone has the right to be free. Free from tyranny. The only reason I can see is that we're not fighting back hard enough on the extremist. They're taking over the Middle East. I'm not trying to say that is a good thing, but we need to start trying to support the Syrian people and let them have their own form of Gov't. To were the people can be in charge of the people that they elect.
Posted by FrozenLichBox 1 year ago
FrozenLichBox
The problem I have with this argument is the mandate, or lack of one. You provide no plan to ensure that our aid directly supports democracy in Syria. Who would we support? How would we enforce true democracy? Is democracy really such a great thing?

This is an interesting topic to me, and I'd like to take you up on this debate, but as it stands, the only real argument one can make against yours is that America should not support democracy in Syria, which doesn't really have anything to go off of. Should you choose to clarify, I'd like to partake in this debate.
Posted by Cjnair24 1 year ago
Cjnair24
I pray that the Syrian people find democracy cause they deserve it, we may have our problems at home but if u think about it, we are one of the most freest nations in the world and I don't like how they Syrian Gov't has been taken over by radical extremist. I think we should exhaust our humanitarian efforts to help countries like Syria that our being taken over by Isis, they're a spreading cancer and it needs to be dealt with.
Posted by Cjnair24 1 year ago
Cjnair24
Here's some of the cons of this issue.

There are no American interests involved in the Syrian civil war. After 2" years of fighting neither side can claim victory and no end is in sight. While Assad has the military assets, his army is becoming demoralized. Desertions and defections are a growing risk as the war goes on. The chemical weapons attack may have been an act of desperation by Assad since he has been unable to land a knockout punch. We should all be repelled that a despot would kill his own people, but the chemical attack killed between 500 and 1,500 allegedly. Over 100,000 have been killed since the war started which failed to move the Obama administration (or the UN) to act.

When Obama made his Rose Garden announcement at the beginning of this month arguing that Assad"s use of chemical weapons was a threat to our national security and justified a US military strike, it apparently was not enough of a threat to justify calling Congress back into session. Schlepping off to Sweden and a meaningless G-20 meeting for three days in which most of his time was spent sightseeing didn"t signal that this new threat to national security was keeping him awake at night.

The second con, in my opinion, is that the insurgency fighting against Assad has become radicalized since the war started. Al-Qaeda jihadists are pouring into the fight. Look at Libya and Egypt to see how this is likely to turn out with Assad gone. We should ask ourselves if life is better for the Egyptians and Libyans now than it was under Mubarak and Gaddafi. If Assad is toppled the chemical weapons are in play. We would be compelled to intervene to prevent their ending up in al-Qaeda hands.
Posted by Cjnair24 1 year ago
Cjnair24
If your willing to debate me I'll be happy to but you'll have to oppose my side though. I hope u accept my challenge.
Posted by Sarra 1 year ago
Sarra
I heard about this the other day and have not formed an opinion yet. There are lots of pro reasons and con reasons :/