THB, the age for smoking should be put down to 16 in the UK.
Debate Rounds (3)
As I said in my introduction, smoking has life threatening symptoms,
-shortness of breath
-coughing up blood
-frequent colds and upper respiratory infections
-difficulty or pain on swallowing
-change in exercise capacity
-sudden weakness on one side of the face or body; or difficulty speaking
-leg pain while walking that goes away when at rest
-unexplained weight loss
-persistent abdominal pain
-blood in the urine
Every cigarette you take reduces your life span by 11 minutes. Also, a smoking causes 1 in 5 death in the western world.
2# Friends and Family
Smoking around Friends and Family is called second hand smoking; around 3,000 non-smokers die from lung cancer a year, and tens of thousands non-smokers die from heart disease. Millions of children in their own home breath second hand smoke, it is especially
dangerous for children as they have developing lungs.
25,792 pounds is the price you would pay if you smoked from eighteen to eighty, a small car or small property could be bought for that price. Even though e-cigarette are supposed to be the alternative, they are still holding a fare amount of nicotine. If you smoke half a pack per day, that means you're spending between 155 to 230 pounds per month for smokes. If you switch to blue e-cigarettes, it'll cost you somewhere between 69.95 and 89.95 pounds for a rechargeable kit that includes a five-pack of flavour cartridges.
That's the conclusion to my points, in the next round I will be arguing about why it is not a good idea to lower the age limit to 16, as had been before, but changed in recent years. Thank you for reading my argument, and I hope you will also have a good one.
Numerous studies confirm this. There is no medical connection between secondhand smoke and disease.
Smoke is harmful, second hand smoking is realising smoke. And also real studies say that it's harmful:
18 is an age when you can get a lot of privileges including, your are no longer adopted, you can legally buy and drink alcohol, you can even apply for a licence to sell alcohol, you can join the armed forces without your parents' permission, you can make legal contracts in your own right, buy or see 18-rated films, buy fireworks, get a commercial pilot's licence, place a bet or work in a betting shop, get married without your parents' permission, donate your body to science or anatomical study, donate your body organs without your parents' permission, vote in political elections, become a Member of Parliament, a local councillor or a local mayor, get tattoos, buy or hire a crossbow, you can buy a (knife blade, razor, axe or anything else with a blade or which has a sharp point.) And finally smoke. So you see, you get a lot of responsibility at the age of 18. So it is only wise to smoke with all these other things at 18.
Another reason, according to the western world governments, why the age is 18, is because it's harder to identify a young smoker if they claim to be a 16 year old, then a 18 year old.
AlexNevsky forfeited this round.
1. A single cigarette contains over 4,800 chemicals, 69 of which are known to
2. About 69% of smokers want to quit completely.
3. Exposure to Secondhand smoke causes nearly 50,000 deaths each year in the U.S. alone.
4. Exposure to Secondhand smoke causes nearly 50,000 deaths each year in the U.S. alone.
5. Over 30% of cancer could be prevented by avoiding tobacco and alcohol, having a healthy diet and physical activity.
6. Study after study has found that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol and tobacco.
7. 8.6 million people in the U.S. live with a serious illness caused by smoking.
8. Smoking makes your hair turn gray faster, a study found.
9. Smoking makes the risk of a heart attack 200% to 400% greater than that of nonsmokers.
10. Cigar and pipe smoking is every bit as dangerous as cigarette smoking, and possibly even more dangerous.
11. Smoking makes breasts sag faster than normal by breaking down a protein in the skin called elastin, which gives youthful skin its elastic appearance and supports the breast.
AlexNevsky forfeited this round.
No votes have been placed for this debate.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.