rishmeister
THElittleRISK

THBT red is better than blue

THElittleRISK

rishmeister

Con

Often we base our lives around particular colours, themes and ideals. Many artists use different colours to connotate different interpretations. Red and blue are both primary colours and thus they can be presumed to be at a similar level of importance in art. However, scientifically it could be argued that blue has a shorter wavelength than red and thus is seen higher up in a rainbow (starting from violet-red). Primarily, red is represented as blood and evil; often used as themes in movies to represent satanic behaviour or apocalypses. Since blue is often taken to be the sky and oceans, it represents nature and life; the beauty consistent within our lives whereas red shows us the sad truth of our mortality and that one day, we will die (connotations with blood).
In media, we often relate red skies and oceans to that of a doomsday or similar apocalyptic event suggesting some sort of devilish, satanic behaviour.
Historically, communists were seen to have failed in their missions. They had red flags - which could be a simple coincidence or could be seen of the potential failure hidden deep within the red colour.
Politically, blue is one of the most used colours in flags suggesting the unity of our society. Coincidentally, almost all social networks use blue coloured themes - facebook, tumblr, instagram etc. All these networks allow us to communicate together, become more social and in a way create a larger group of circles worldwide.
In Ellen degeneres' show, her entire set is blue. Blue being the form of media and technology which are making their way forward into our life. Technology becoming more and more important in human life. Blue, thus represents the future and opposes the theory of mortality represented by the colour red.
Thus, I believe that blue is better than red because of several obvious psychological, scientific, political and historical reasons.
I will continue more points in my next round and look forward to reading opposition's arguments.
THElittleRISK

Pro

I wish my opponent well on this debate, and seeing as it his first debate, welcome him to Debate.org.
My argument will be split up into two parts: The advantages of red, and the downsides of blue.

-Advantages of red:
My opponent has pointed out that red has negative connotations. This is true, however red has positive ones that outweigh any negativity associated with it. In an international survey of over 130,000 people, red was chosen as the color which best represented the categories powerful, sexiness, and good-tasting. (1) To the ancient Greeks, red symbolized super-human heroism. Red is also the most popular color used on flags in the world. Approximately 77% of all flags include red. Red is seen as representative of good luck in Asia and is the most popular color in China. Brides in India and Nepal wear red saris because it symbolizes happiness and good luck. Red is also one of the most visible colors, which is why it is used on fire engines and stop signs to trigger alertness. (2) Red is used by companies such as YouTube, Bank of America, Kmart, Target, Mitsubishi, Coca-Cola, and Verizon.

Downsides of blue:
Blue has negative associations. In English "to feel blue" is to feel sad, while in German "blau sein" (literally: to be blue) means to be drunk and in Russian "k5;l6;l3;m1;k3;l6;l1;" (literally: light blue) means to be homosexual. (I am not saying being homosexual is a bad thing, but historically it has been viewed negatively). Blue is recognized as the color of depression. In Korea, dark blue is the color of mourning. Whereas red captures attention, blue is perceived as fading. Blue is sharply refracted by the eyes. This causes the lens to flatten and to push the blue image back. (3) Blue is also seen as highly unappetizing. (4).

1.) http://www.colormatters.com...
2.) http://www.colormatters.com...
3.) http://www.colormatters.com...
4.) http://www.colormatters.com...
rishmeister

Con

rishmeister forfeited this round.
THElittleRISK

Pro

As my opponent has forfeited this last round, I will not post any new arguments. Since we each argued a round, I hope that is enough to vote on. If my opponent wishes to try to have this debate again, he is welcome to challenge me.

Vote Pro!
Vote Placed by drafterman 3 years ago
drafterman
rishmeisterTHElittleRISKTied
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 3 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
rishmeisterTHElittleRISKTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.
Vote Placed by utahjoker 3 years ago
utahjoker
rishmeisterTHElittleRISKTied