Style1234
lit.wakefield

THBT stem cell research should be expanded.

lit.wakefield

Style1234

Con

Against it because is inhumane to take away another life just for research. It comes from embryos meaning unborn babies.
lit.wakefield

Pro

My opponent's assertions are all unwarranted.

Definitions and Clarification

Since my opponent has failed to define what is humane and what is inhumane, I will define the terms [1]:

Humane (adj)-
1. Characterized by kindness, mercy, sympathy, etc.
2. Marked or motivated by concern with the alleviation of suffering
3. Inflicting as little pain as possible

We will take inhumane to be the opposite:

1. Cruel and not inflicting as little pain as possible

Also, I will define baby (generously):

Baby (n)-
1. A very young child; an infant.
2. An unborn child; a fetus.

Since my opponent has used the the phrase "unborn baby" the second definition will be used.

Based on this definition, his statement that an embryo is the equivalent of a fetus in simply false. "Fetus" refers to a later stage of development [2]. The terms are not interchangeable.

My opponent has not defined life either. I will define it as a property emerging at the cellular level, meaning that cells are considered life.

It is also inaccurate to call it "just for research." This statement ignores the possible future applications of the research.

My Argument

Now for my argument, I will provide evidence that stem cell research is not inhumane but is, in fact, humane and therefore should be expanded. In order to fulfill my burden of proof in supporting the statement "stem cell research should be expanded," I must simply provide satisfactory evidence that it is humane and has potential benefits.

Inhumane

With the given definitions, we must ask the following question in order to determine if stem cell research is inhumane: Are the processes used to obtain stem cells cruel and do they cruelly inflict pain?

Embryonic stem cells:

"Human embryos reach the blastocyst stage 4–5 days post fertilization, at which time they consist of 50–150 cells. Isolating the embryoblast or inner cell mass (ICM) results in destruction of the fertilized human embryo" [2].

At this stage in development, the embryo is unable to feel pain, as it has not developed the necessary nerve structures [3]. Therefore it cannot be concluded that it is inhumane to "take away another life" in the case of embryos. I certainly don't think it can be said to be cruel. Unless he wants to argue that it is inhumane to, for example, remove and destroy a cancerous tumor simply because it is composed of living cells, I suggest that my concede on this point (well and on everything else too).

Furthermore, stem cells need not be taken from embryos. Although research related to adult stem cells may be less promising, this fact alone is enough to render his argument invalid. Also, the methods used to obtain adult stem cells can hardly (meaning not at all) be considered cruel or inhumane.

Humane

In the future, stem cell research could very well lead to the development of treatments for Parkinson's disease as well as diabetes [4]. "Regenerative medicine holds the promise of new ways to repair cardiovascular damage and of improved cancer treatment. Moreover, there are many other diseases and afflictions that stand to be positively impacted by stem cell research including: stroke, respiratory disease, diabetes (respectively 3, 4 and 7 on the CDC list of causes of death), neurological disorders, spinal cord injuries, and some birth defects. Potential benefits of stem cell research are numerous and range from development and testing of new drugs to cell-based therapies in which stem cells are used to replace ailing or destroyed tissue or cells. However, there are many technical hurdles between the promise of stem cells and the realization of these uses, which will only be overcome by continued intensive stem cell research" [5].

This perfectly fits with our definition of humane, as stem cell research is "Marked or motivated by concern with the alleviation of suffering." It should therefore be expanded.

[1] thefreedictionary.com
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[4] http://www.npr.org...
[5] http://stemcell.ny.gov...
Style1234

Con

I must admit you have a good counterargument, which really impressed me. Now on to the point, (I'll paste on what my opponent said all right) what my opponent said was "Now for my argument, I will provide evidence that stem cell research is not inhumane but is, in fact, humane and therefore should be expanded. In order to fulfill my burden of proof in supporting the statement "stem cell research should be expanded," I must simply provide satisfactory evidence that it is humane and has potential benefits." ( this is not my statement just to be clear.)

My argument is that the cons of stem cell research refer to issues with embryonic stem cell research. Those who oppose stem cell research oppose the use of embryonic stem cells. To use these cells for research, the embryo must be destroyed, and some feel that this is an ethical issue.

If you can, may you answer this this question, please? It's just curiosity, nothing part of this debate? "If they do have the stem cell research how will it benefit any person if they are low, middle, high class? also would this benefit humanity ten years from now or would it affected?"
lit.wakefield

Pro

Although your problems may be with embryonic stem cell research, you did not limit the debate to it and therefore cannot do so now. Even if you had, you would have to provide support for the position that embryonic stem cell research is "unethical." As you have not responded to or attempted to counter my arguments, I conclude that I have won the debate.

Well I can't predict the future, but any breakthroughs will probably benefit the wealthy first and then eventually those less fortunate as new procedures become more widespread and affordable. Some possibilities include the ability to grow new tissue for patients, to repair organs, and possibly even to grow new organs. If you're interested, I suggest you do some research. It's really quite an interesting topic.

Sources: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu...
Style1234

Con

Style1234 forfeited this round.
lit.wakefield

Pro

All arguments extended.
Style1234

Con

Style1234 forfeited this round.
lit.wakefield

Pro

lit.wakefield forfeited this round.
Posted by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
Asking about it is a good start. When the debate ended, no notification was sent out to folks who are following it because there's no notification for when a debater forfeits a round; the only notification that it's going into voting is that last argument being posted, aside from the ones sent to the debaters themselves. But commenting on the debate sends a notification about a new comment.
Posted by lit.wakefield 4 years ago
lit.wakefield
Is nobody going to vote? :(
Posted by Style1234 4 years ago
Style1234
That's ok.
Posted by lit.wakefield 4 years ago
lit.wakefield
ALSO I JUST REALIZED YOUR GENDER andAPOLOGIZE FOR CALLING YOU "HE."
Posted by lit.wakefield 4 years ago
lit.wakefield
Cheers mate, and best of luck.
Posted by Style1234 4 years ago
Style1234
It's already fixed.
Posted by Style1234 4 years ago
Style1234
Thank you very much.
Posted by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
http://i70.photobucket.com...

Look at the pic I linked. This is the top part of the debate creation page. If necessary, click "advanced options" to show those options. Change the settings so that they match what is shown in the picture. This will open it up for anyone to accept.
Posted by Style1234 4 years ago
Style1234
I don't know the problem with this debate that created. I'm new so I'm trying to put an open debate which I thought I put. Sorry for the inconvenience. Can anyone help me on how to fix this problem, please?
Posted by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
This debate is too easily won. Stem cell research has advanced far beyond the need for fetal cells, so the instigator's stated objection is moot.
Vote Placed by Deadlykris 4 years ago
Deadlykris
Style1234lit.wakefieldTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguments were incomprehensible. Pro forfeited fewer rounds than Con. Pro had sources, Con did not.