THBT the Arab Spring was a success.

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

The Arab Spring was not a complete success, but it was more of a victory than a failure. The A.S. fought, in most cases successfully, against social, economic and political injustices. However, we will first define the Arab Spring as a series of demonstrations and civil unrests that began in December 2010 in Tunisia, before spreading to multiple countries. The A.S. arguably still continues to this day.

To prove that the A.S. was a success, we will first focus on one countries' story, Egypt.
On Jan 25 2011 Egyptian protesters took to the streets in defiance of the 4th President of Egypt, Hosni Mubarak, whose political rule was embodied in the interminable state of emergency law which supposedly justified Police brutality and the suppression and repression of Civil and Political liberties. Three weeks of public unrest later Mubarak stepped down as President of Egypt, caving in to the demands of the people; people who were calling for Democracy and the downfall of an Autocratic state.

Similar events, with varying degrees of success, occurred across multitudes of countries around the Middle East. Showing that, in fact, the Arab Spring was a success.

I thank my opponent, ShroudedEdge, for this debate. I’m looking to get into more foreign policy as I do Model U.N. more, so this ought to be enjoyable.

It is DDO Custom to have the first round be for acceptance, so I will begin arguing next round.

Before anything else, let’s begin with the definition of success.

Success: the accomplishment of an aim or purpose (standard Google definitions)

And let’s also note the countries the Arab Spring has occurred in so we can be clear what we are talking about. The countries the Arab Spring (AS) involved was Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Yemen and Syria.

Without further adieu, let’s begin our discussion on the Arab Spring (AS).

Over to Pro

ShroudedEdge forfeited this round.

1. Syria:

Syria, in 2011, had large Arab Spring uprisings across the country. As a by product of that, the government cracked down. Now, today, as the BBC reports:

"More than 250,000 Syrians have lost their lives in four-and-a-half years of armed conflict, which began with anti-government protests before escalating into a full-scale civil war. More than 11 million others have been forced from their homes as forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad and those opposed to his rule battle each other - as well as jihadist militants from Islamic State. This is the story of the civil war so far, in eight short chapters" [1].

Syria is in shambles. It is a cesspool of sectarian conflict, chemical warfare, extremism among rebels, and violence. The war has caused 250,000 to perish. It gave radical Islam groups and ISIS a strong foothold to overthrow the state and continue to impose and grow their power. On top of this, it has created a humanitarian crisis, with more than 4 million refugees fleeing Syria for a safer place. And, as the BBC further notes, "What began as another Arab Spring uprising against an autocratic ruler has mushroomed into a brutal proxy war that has drawn in regional and world powers." [1]

The Syrian Civil War was caused by the Arab Spring, and stands as an example of how much of a failure the Arab Spring has been.

2. Yemen:

Arab Spring demonstrations in Yemen began in January of 2011, with 1000's rising in opposition to the government of President Ali Abdullah Saleh. The people eventually forced him out of power, which has led to an insurgency of Al Qaeda and large scale violence. As the BBC notes, "Since taking power, President Hadi has struggled to tackle widespread poverty and malnutrition, an Islamist insurgency led by al-Qaeda, a secessionist movement in the south, and Zaidi Shia rebels in the north." [2]. Another example of the failure of the Arab Spring.

3. Libya:

Libya, since ousting Gadiffi in the height of the Arab Spring, has been plagued by, "...instability, with some 300 revolutionary militias clashing repeatedly, defying requests to disarm and besieging government buildings. Many Libyans also complain of uneven regional development, unemployment and a lack of government transparency" [3].

The Arab Spring hasn't succeeded here either with any of it's goals. Let's turn to the last country in question.

4. Egypt:

While many would defend this as an example of success, I would not, as Egypt is still an unstable state with polarized sects. The country has seen the over throw of two presidents since the beginning of the Arab Spring, and still remains an unstable state. In fact, Islamic State affiliated groups have began an insurgency in the Egyptian province, which, as the BBC notes, "[left at] least 600 Egyptian security personnel have been killed in militant attacks since 2013" [4]

I have upheld my BOP in showing how, on balance, the Arab Spring has been a failure. Anywhere else protests occurred, the results were either largely ineffectual or disastrous.

The resolution is negated.

Vote Con.

ShroudedEdge forfeited this round.

Pro has failed completely to fulfill his BOP and has forfeited.

I have fulfilled my BOP fully; thus, I extend my arguments, and ask for your vote.

The resolution is negated.

Vote Con.
Posted by jzonda415 1 year ago
It's more than okay; I understand.
Posted by ShroudedEdge 1 year ago
Awfully sorry for my absence, I was legally dead for tax purposes... ;(
Vote Placed by tajshar2k 1 year ago
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's forfeit made Con's arguments stand out, since it was not refuted.
Vote Placed by ax123man 1 year ago
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Pro only provided evidence regarding Egypt, which Con cast doubt on based on the BBC article. Con also covered issues in other countries (and didn't forfeit, so there that)