Tiger22Blue
Kumquatodor

THBT the internet has and will cause more harm than good.

Tiger22Blue

Pro

Thank You for your interest in this debate.
Round 1 is for acceptance ONLY.
Round 2 is for opening statements and substantive.
Round 3 is for substantive and or rebuttal
Round 4 is a second round of substantive and or rebuttal
Round 5 is to be used for concluding statements.

I feel that I have given myself the harder stance and am looking for a clean debate on the balance of the pros and cons of the Internet. This is my first debate.
Kumquatodor

Con

Good luck sir. I shall enjoy this, and I hope you do too. I HEARBY ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE!
Tiger22Blue

Pro

I would like to start by thanking my competitor for their competition.

As stated above the Internet has and will do more harm than good. This statement is true and proof can be found in three different aspects of Internet usage.
Firstly there is unavoidable damage done to the economy, which I will go into in this round.
Secondly there is undeniable detrimental social effects.
And last there is a real vulnerability developing that may come back to bite us.

So, the economic problems?

The Internet has created a beautiful online market place that gives big companies the opportunity to supply their goods and services to customers in a generally more accessible way. Well this works very well for large businesses that already have a customer base it prevents small start up companies from gaining a foothold in the economic ladder. With an online established market available to customers, why try a new market. The answer to that would usually be advertising but where does an online market make advertisement available to small companies? Nowhere can a start up afford online advertising. You might ask where does a start up business advertise outside the Internet? Well just having a store that they can advertise on and people can actually go in and have their goods in front of them is invaluable. People can not be persuaded to leave their familiar market place without a product in front of them that they can believe in. Small start up businesses are ham stringed by a big boys online market place.
This isn't the only negative economic factor though. While online market placing does branch out to create a wider customer base, the reality is that a large majority of online customers come from the physical marketplace, unavoidably taking away from in store business. The reality of this is a decrease in the in store resources needed to operate. Sadly human employment is one of those resources that needs decreasing. Employment in retail has and will continue to decrease if the online market place continues to grow in such a negative way.

And there's my hook. Feel free to follow the same model. I would appreciate some substantive from your argument not just rebuttal of mine. Thanks again.
Kumquatodor

Con

My arguments are quite simple:

1. The constant freeflow of information is invaluable.
a. Through the millions of people sharing ideas, people often come to different ideas. These ideas are discussed at length online.
b. Political awareness is increased.
c. Centuries, nay, millenia worth of information is placed at your fingertips.

These are ways in which the Internet, through its spread of knoweledge, influences people in possitive ways. It gives them ideals to believe in. It gives them knoweledge to challenge their principles. It gives us the power to decide things for ourself. If you were raised in a household that subscribes x philosophy, the Internet could show many other ideologies, which might change how you act.
____
2. Businesses make billions.
a. Advertising makes millions
b. Product reviews are everywhere.
c. Consumers can hear of products that they may not have otherwise.
____________________________________________________________
3. Help is spread.
a. the Internet is fundamentally a telephone between you and 300,000,000 people. You hear of ideals to strive for, that you would not have fought for otherwise. Ideals like equality, freedom, justice.
b. Through websites dedicated to abuse recognition, suicide hotlines, police-calling websites, thousands of lives are saved!
_________________________

I will start rebuttals next time!
Tiger22Blue

Pro

Tiger22Blue forfeited this round.
Kumquatodor

Con

Please do not hold the forfeit against him.
Tiger22Blue

Pro

Tiger22Blue forfeited this round.
Kumquatodor

Con

Kumquatodor forfeited this round.
Tiger22Blue

Pro

Tiger22Blue forfeited this round.
Kumquatodor

Con

Kumquatodor forfeited this round.
Posted by Raptorn9ne 4 years ago
Raptorn9ne
Kumquatodor very well stated in round two about the topic.
Posted by Kumquatodor 4 years ago
Kumquatodor
The Debate can, nay, MUST continue!
Posted by Tiger22Blue 4 years ago
Tiger22Blue
So sorry about my forfeit of round 3. I haven't been feeling very well over the past week. I am still interested in the topic and hope for a continuation of the debate.