PsychicPhysicist
debatojenvo

THW: allow euthanasia under the right circumstances

debatojenvo has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

PsychicPhysicist

Pro

First round acceptance only. Good luck!
debatojenvo

Con

BE READY TO LOSE!
PsychicPhysicist

Pro

Clearly, no one would argue that euthanasia should be allowed in all circumstances, but I propose that in some situations, it is appropriate to allow it. Specifically, when an individual is deemed to be of sound mind, they should be allowed to describe circumstances under which they wish to be euthanized in future, or to ask to be euthanized immediately. For instance, one could leave a statement as follows:
"In the event that I am subject to an illness or injury which causes me to be completely and permanently unable to communicate, but would otherwise leave me alive to suffer through such, it is my will that my attending physician ends my life using a lethal injection."
Of course, one could always amend such a declaration at any time as circumstances change.

In terms of implementing this legally, one would have to implement a number of criteria which must be met in order to allow euthanasia to take place; for instance, a list of reasons which may not be cited as justification for being euthanized (becoming a financial burden to one's family as an example), but the finer details of this are not being debated; only that such a finalisation could be reached to satisfy a reasonable person of the fact euthanasia would, in these circumstances, be the moral option.
And clearly, euthanasia *IS* the most moral option under some circumstances; for instance, if someone is either going to die slowly and painfully of cancer which is certain to be terminal, or one could end one's life quickly, painlessly and with dignity and control, it would be cruel and irrational to deny someone that option.

In short, euthanasia is the most moral option under some circumstances, and, accompanied with the necessary legal protections against abuse, could be implemented in a way which is fair to- and safe for- everyone.
Posted by rockerlinda15 2 weeks ago
rockerlinda15
Yes I think euthanasia is a legitimate way to allow people to die. Although once allowed into law it could become very dangerous in a totalitarian regime.