True_Debater
brianjustin3709

THW ban space exploration

brianjustin3709

True_Debater

Con

I thank my opponent for participating in today's debate.

The debate will be in an Asian Parliamentary Debate style.
The debate will have a total of 5 rounds.
The 1st round will be a friendly introduction.
In the 2nd round, each team will present main arguments.
In the 3rd round, each team will provide rebuttals and several minor arguments.
In the 4th round, each team will provide clashes in the debate and tell why they won.
In the 5th round, each team will summarize the main points in the debate and tell why they won.

Good luck, brianjustin3709!
brianjustin3709

Pro

I will accept this debate.

Lets have no forfeites, trolling, or flaking. If we forfeit just make us say are information in the next argument.

I want us to have a smooth debate.
True_Debater

Con

On side Opposition, we agree that helping the poor is important, and we agree that we should invest in poverty alleviation as well as solving earthly problems. But we believe that banning space exploration is a terrible idea considering the enormous benefits and promise that space exploration brings.

So let us move on to our arguments.

1. So to our first argument is that investment in space exploration leads to innovative technological development.
The important thing we have to acknowledge is that the space exploration program is the collection of the best technologies around the world because space exploration is so challenging and sophisticated. And because of this, space exploration has resulted in major technological developments that have made a huge difference for billions of people around the world.
For example, solar panels that the world currently uses for harvesting clean solar energy was created by the U.S. space exploration program. Astronauts have to travel long distances and spaceships can only carry limited amounts of fuel. SO the first developments in viable solar panels were from the space exploration program as it was the best way to ensure traveling long distances. Solar panels, today, are making a major difference in producing clean energy on earth.
Moreover, NASA's John Space Center has also recently created a solar regrigerator that doesn't need electricity. Right now, 2 billion people on earth have no access to electricity, which is why they can't use refrigerators. And without refrigerators, huge amounts of food easily rot and is a major contributor to starvation in poor countries. But this new technology was initially designed to help astronauts travel long distances who had to keep their food fresh without using too much electricity. Think about how many millions of lives this technology would be able to save once it is commercialized.
Furthermore, the first water purification systems were developed by the space exploration program was because astronauts had to travel long distances with fresh water. Today, this technology gives fresh water to millions of people who don't have access to clean water.
In addition, satellites were also created though the space exploration program. Satellites aer currently used to monitor global warming, link cell phones across the globe. Plus, heart monitoring systems we use in hospitals and cancer therapy technologies were also all developed by the space exploration program.
The important point here is that the space exploration program is surest way to ensure that the best technologies are created, which can be used to benefit the lives of millions across the globe.

2. The second argument is that investment in space exploration lead is good for the economy in two ways.
First, thousands of high technology corporations are employed in the space exploration program. Banning space exploration, therefore, would mean that thousands and thousands of jobs would be lost.
Secondly, countries that invest in space exploration can also later export space related technologies to other countries, which is big business that reaps billions of dollars in profits every year. Why give up a business that makes money?

Now I would like to invite my opponent to the podium.
brianjustin3709

Pro

Thanks for Con to make his first two arguments. First I will make my own argument then say my rebuttals.

1. So my first argument is that it just takes a lot of time. For example lets see how far mars is. You have to go there in about 260 days!!! also this is just a lot of time and also there isn't many things to look at for astronauts. Only the rovers are doing this, so people aren't doing this. Also why do we need to know about other planets. We should just take care of OUR planet earth and should just make global warming exist.

This is what Professor Crain Patten says, "How long does it take? It takes the Earth one year to orbit the Sun and it takes Mars about 1.9 years ( say 2 years for easy calculation ) to orbit the Sun. The elliptical orbit which carries you from Earth to Mars is longer than Earth's orbit, but shorter than Mars' orbit. Accordingly, we can estimate the time it would take to complete this orbit by averaging the lengths of Earth's orbit and Mars' orbit. Therefore, it would take about one and a half years to complete the elliptical orbit above ( solid and dashed parts! ). Since it would be nice to spend some time at Mars, we are only interested in the one way trip ( solid line ) which is half of the orbit, and would take half the time of the full orbit, or about nine months. So it takes nine months to get to Mars. It is possible to get to Mars in less time, but this would require you to burn your rocket engines longer, using more fuel. With current rocket technology, this isn't really feasible."

Also it takes about 9.5 years to go to Pluto. I think the earth and the economy will just find information and help Earth then just going to these discoveries of other Planets. For example when New Horizon it says that they went to Pluto at 2006 and came at 2015! Also with those information it will take 16 months to even send all the information back. So basically it is 10.4 months because 9.6 months and 16 months equal to 10.4 months.

2. My second argument is that It just takes a lot of money for these space discoveries.

It says that the trip it self takes $25000 dollars and the space shuttle is about 450 million dollars. Also a space suit is 12 million dollars. All together it is about 462,025,000 dollars. That is a lot of money. And also we do not get 462,025,000 points of information from these missions. ( This is the average of the space shuttle, suit, and whole trip.)

Sources Used

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu...

http://www.space.com...

https://www.nasa.gov...

http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov...

Now I would like to invite CON to the podium.
True_Debater

Con

True_Debater forfeited this round.
brianjustin3709

Pro

I am very annoyed that My opponent has forfeited his round. Therefore, this is my rebuttal

Rebuttal

1. First, Con did not rebut any of my arguments which make my arguements dropped.

2. Now I will go on my rebuttals, First In Con's first argument which was that investment in space exploration leads to innovative technological development. Yes this is true, but also it costs a lot of money to have those things even if it has solar energy. Also many people don't have solar energy because it is very expensive, so this is just tons of money used for some good things which people don't really use. Also with the money you can help other ways to develop the environment. Also we have battery powered cars!!! They are much more cheaper and better than solar cars in many different ways.

3. I Con's second argument which was that investment in space exploration leads to a good economy. How is it good for the economy when we are spending tremendous amounts of money? I strongly believe that countries should focus more on current problems on the Earth, such as pollution and poverty. They should invest to solve these problems, not try to find aliens or other planets in the Earth. Also they can find other jobs.

Now I will make my minor arguments

Arguments

1. We didn't even explore all of Earth

- We didn't even explore all of Antartica or some other places. We didn't even explore our planet, but why do we need to explore others?

Now I will invite Con to the podium.
True_Debater

Con

True_Debater forfeited this round.
brianjustin3709

Pro

I am very sad that my opponent did not respond again.

Therefore, I can not make clashes with no rebuttal of Con so I have no clashes.

Therefore, Vote for Pro!!!
True_Debater

Con

True_Debater forfeited this round.
brianjustin3709

Pro

Well my opponent has not post 3 rounds which means that he should lose this debate and I win. He could not make any rebuttals, so I couldn't make clashes. Therefore I will tell you my 3 arguments.

1. So my first argument is that it just takes a lot of time. For example lets see how far mars is. You have to go there in about 260 days!!! also this is just a lot of time and also there isn't many things to look at for astronauts. Only the rovers are doing this, so people aren't doing this. Also why do we need to know about other planets. We should just take care of OUR planet earth and should just make global warming exist. Also it takes about 9.5 years to go to Pluto. I think the earth and the economy will just find information and help Earth then just going to these discoveries of other Planets. For example when New Horizon it says that they went to Pluto at 2006 and came at 2015! Also with those information it will take 16 months to even send all the information back. So basically it is 10.4 months because 9.6 months and 16 months equal to 10.4 months.

3. We didn't even explore all of Earth

Also when Con made his arguments I rebutted them by saying that solar energy is expensive and we can use battery powered cars. Also I said that it is not for the economy because you pay for the explorations.
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Greg4586
I like a lot of what pro said, but I'm pretty sure if someone can't access electricity they can't access a solar powered refrigerator
Posted by brianjustin3709 1 year ago
brianjustin3709
True- Debater forfeited, therefore I should win.
Posted by brianjustin3709 1 year ago
brianjustin3709
meet my brother who is in http://www.debate.org...
Posted by brianjustin3709 1 year ago
brianjustin3709
Posted by True_Debater 1 year ago
True_Debater
Let the debate begin! :)
Posted by True_Debater 1 year ago
True_Debater
No limit to number of arguments. Having POIs in the debate seems to be impossible, so we would be ignoring POIs.
Posted by brianjustin3709 1 year ago
brianjustin3709
Also what about POI?
Posted by brianjustin3709 1 year ago
brianjustin3709
How many arguments?
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
True_Debaterbrianjustin3709Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
True_Debaterbrianjustin3709Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con ff several times, so conduct to Pro.