somebody4547
godsend221

THW give greater financial aid to students who major in STEM fields.

somebody4547

Pro

Hi.
This Debate follow the following format:
1st round: acceptance only
2nd round: constructive arguments only
3rd round: refutations only
4th round: Conclusion and convincing process
godsend221

Con

Accept. Let the blood bath begin.
somebody4547

Pro

I thank my oppoonent for accepting.
Before I begin, I would like to say that Financial Aid is a full college scholarship for those who major in the STEM fields. This would only apply to public colleges.

My first argument is that this would create an incentive for people to major in the STEM fields. If there is a full college scholarship, there would be more people willing to major and work in these fields. Currently, there is a lack of people who work in the STEM field. This would help America's economic situation.

My second argument is that this plan would be able to help students be beneficial to society. Currently, 60% of college students (12 million) have college debt from previous years. If they have the full college scholarship for those who major in STEM, we also help the economy. This results in a positive economy.

My third and final argument is that this plan would increase the score of our students. Currently, the US ranks 27th in STEM curriculum. Improving the STEM students would help us to be able to succeed better in the world.

To go over my points, my arguments are:
1. This would create an incentive for people to major in the STEM fields
2. This plan would be able to help students be beneficial to society
3. This plan would increase the score of our students
Thanks once again for accepting my challenge, and this is why I should win this round.
godsend221

Con

STEM fields are extremely necessary but America isn't more ignorant because less people are graduating with STEM degrees. Either way, americans are going to have access to great products and progressive knowledge in all STEM fields. The only quesiton is, should we allow foreigners to make STEM breakthroughs instead of us? And, what price will we pay for not making those discoveries? I concede that giving money to the cause in the form of scholarships would mean more people will enroll in those degrees but that WILL NOT solve the problem. Kids coming from high school may not know what job lies ahead of them after graduation and whether or not they will actuall like it. That's why I think people get multiple degrees in different fields during the course of their life. The first degree is the one they thought they would enjoy and the second one is the one they actually want and should have gotten in the first place. I don't want people studying these fields because they get aid or because they can get a good job. I want them studying them primarily because they want to be great at it and secondly because they can make a living doing it --Not because we're in some kind of competition with other countries. If the goal is to strenghten our economy with STEM industry and scientific discoveries then our entire education needs to be overhauled to reflect the true beauty of those fields and the joy that comes from pursuing them. I want an engineer or scientists doing what they do because they want to change the world, not because their degree program was paid for by John Q. Public.
somebody4547

Pro

In the Con argument, they stated that they would like for people to pursue a STEM career because they want to, but this would not work. The reason that we are supporting this is because there is currently a drop in STEM majors. What the opposition is saying would be true in a perfect utopian world, which the US is not.

Another statement made by the Con side is that people aren't more ignorant because fewer people are graduating with STEM degrees. However, since there are fewer people graduating with STEM degrees., there are also fewer people working in the STEM field. This is detrimental to the economy and relations with other countries.

The final point that the Con side made was that people don't know what they would be when they grow up. This doesn't change whether there is a scholarship or not. The students would still be unsure, and having this would, as Con conceded, mean more people will enroll in those degrees.

I have both shown why the Pro side should win and why the Con side should not with the arguments and refutations above.
godsend221

Con

godsend221 forfeited this round.
somebody4547

Pro

somebody4547 forfeited this round.
godsend221

Con

godsend221 forfeited this round.