QueenDaisy
TheRoyalAcer

THW: make coding classes mandatory in secondary schools

TheRoyalAcer has forfeited round #3.
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

QueenDaisy

Pro

Definitions:

"THW": Acronym for "this house would"- i.e. the motion being discussed.

"Coding": computer coding, i.e. Python, HTML, CSS and so on.

R1: Acceptance & definitions only
R2: Initial arguments, con's rebuttal.
R3: Further arguments and rebuttal.
R4: Summation only. No new arguments or rebuttal may be offered.
TheRoyalAcer

Con

Don't have really much of an opinion on this but i decided to take up on the challenge, But my reasons for disagreeing with mandatory coding classes is because kids should be able to choose to do waht they think they want to do for an occupation in the future.
QueenDaisy

Pro

Preempting con's argument based on their statement that "kids should be able to choose to do waht they think they want to do for an occupation in the future.", I'd like to agree that yes, students should have some influence over what they study so that they're more specialised in the topics they intend to take further for college, but school should also provide students with basic life skills- the ability to read, write, do basic mathematics and so on. As such, certain topics, such as mathematics and English language are mandatory (and should be).

Nowadays, coding is such a useful life skill that it ought to warrant the same level of attention as mathematics and English literature. One example of where coding is necessary in adult life is in recognising a website which is vulnerable to SQL injection or is a fake of another site (e.g. if someone made a fake Amazon), and therefore to know not to put your credit card details into it, when otherwise it may be safe to do so.

Coding also allows one to do mathematics much more quickly and correctly than doing it by hand. For example, one can code and then use a quadratic equation solver with as follows:

"def quadratic_solver(a,b,c):
try:
if ((b**2) - (4*a*c)) == 0:
return((-b/(2*a)))
else:
return((((((b**2) - (4*a*c))**0.5)-b)/(2*a)), ((-(((b**2) - (4*a*c))**0.5)-b)/(2*a)))
except:
print("Error: inappropriate inputs")
return(" ")

[I know the indentation is wrong, here; DDO's format changes is when the argument is submitted]

And never have to solve a quadratic by hand again. The ability to code to even a basic level can supersede the need to be able to do even advanced mathematics- one could produce a similar program capable of performing differential calculus of polynomials, for instance.

Many modern jobs require one to be able to work with computers, and so coding is a skill which would be useful in most people's lives, and this is becoming even more true as time goes on.

I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting my challenge and I look forward to hearing their arguments.
TheRoyalAcer

Con

I agree that coding could be useful in mathematics but a lot of times a mandatory coding class could be making kids less prepared for occupation that require not mathematics. and about "Many modern jobs require one to be able to work with computers" there are also many jobs that do require computer skills but i do think coding should be a mandatory Course taught to kids who choose to go into coding.
QueenDaisy

Pro

I'm not sure I quite understand anything that con said, and they didn't say much... With all due respect, I feel I needn't elaborate more on my earlier comments, as they have not been refuted, and nor has a contrary argument been presented.
Posted by Perussi 1 year ago
Perussi
Coding classes succ, teach yourself with the w3 website and google...