Ergotism
Zaradi

TSM is the best team in North America

Zaradi
Started: 10/25/2014 Category: Games

Ergotism

Con

If Team Solo Mid really was the best team in NA why are they constantly getting rid of players. Their stats over the years even show how they cannot possibly be the best team in NA. They constantly get new players with the exception of Dyrus who can't hold his own half of the time. In terms i do not understand how they have such a big fan base because in reality they aren't the best.
Zaradi

Pro

I accept. I intend to show that Team SoloMid (TSM) is the best League of Legends team in the North American region. I will do this through two basic arguments.

But before I begin, I want to say that in order for this debate to be at all productive, there needs to be some point of comparison between TSM and another team. I could stand up all day and argue for why TSM is god's gift to League, but we can never really determine if anything I'm saying carries any weight until we compare it to something else. Therefore, my opponent should provide a team that he believes to be the best team in NA that isn't TSM, to allow for comparison and a much clearer debate. If he fails to, presume that TSM is the best team since he couldn't find a team to pit against TSM for the title of best team NA.

Argument One: Team Ranking

This argument is really simple. In the most recent North American Summer Split in the League of Legends Championship Series (LCS), Team SoloMid placed in first(1). This means that they are currently the first place team in North America, consequentially making them, currently, the best team in North America.

Argument Two: Refutations

This part isn't really a single argument per se but a refutation of Con's arguments. If he's not giving a good reason why TSM isn't the best team in NA, default to my first argument that's based off of objective rankings set up by Riot (League of Legends's developers and creators), which is the easiest way to determine team ranking overall. This means so long as I can refute his arguments, you should affirm. So let's get to refutation!

" If Team Solo Mid really was the best team in NA why are they constantly getting rid of players."

First, players coming and leaving doesn't mean that the team is bad. There's absolutely zero warrant for this argument, and this is certainly something that requires a warrant.

Second, players leaving is inevitable. Players decide to play for other teams or go to other regions or retire in general, so no team can escape players leaving and joining forever. This means that using players leaving/joining to determine team strength is pointless.

Third, turn this argument in my favor. Players leaving and joining indicates that the team overall is growing and evolving. They're realizing that there are still things that can be improved on and are constantly striving to better themselves. This means that the more players leave and join, the more the team is looking to grow and better themselves, which is definitely a benefit.

" Their stats over the years even show how they cannot possibly be the best team in NA. "

First, he says TSM's stats suck without actually providing any stats to show that they suck. This is a bare assertion at it's finest.

Second, let's actually talk stats for a second. His claim is that TSM's stats show that they are inferior to the other teams in the North American region. Yet the actual stats beg to differ. In the 2014 Summer Split, TSM had the highest team KDA, gold per minute gain, and were tied for first in team total gold per game (2).

"They constantly get new players with the exception of Dyrus who can't hold his own half of the time."

Since I've already touched on the new players bit, let's talk about Dyrus, since my opponent has some sort of beef with him. Even though I don't have to to win the debate, I'm willing to defend that Dyrus is the best top laner in North America. Let's actually look at how he stacks up to other top laners.

Dyrus (TSM) v. Zionspartan (Dignitas)

Dyrus has a vastly superior KDA of 6.3 to Zionspartan's 2.5(2). Dyrus also has a superior gold per minute generation of 372.8 to Zionspartan's 336.44, despite Zionspartan having higher minions killed per game and champion kills per game(2). This means that despite Zionspartan receiving a larger portion of farm, Dyrus still has better gold generation. This allows Dyrus to have the same presence, if not an even bigger presense, in teamfights compared to Zionspartan.

Win for Dyrus.

Dyrus (TSM) v. Quas (Curse)

This one isn't even close. Dyrus has a higher KDA (6.3 to Quas's 2.95), gold per minute (372.8 to Quas's 324.67) and minion kills per game (259.64 to Quas's 250.96)(2). Statistically, Quas doesn't hold a candle to Dyrus.

Win for Dyrus.

Dryus (TSM) v. Balls (Cloud 9)

This is the matchup that would potentially give Dyrus the most trouble, as between the two of these top laners are the first and second best top laners in North America currently. And even though Balls has a slight edge in terms of stats, the statistics are virtually even (6.3 kda to Balls's 6.39, 372.8 gpm to Balls's 378.78, 259.64 minions killed to Balls's 274.46, and 2.46 champion kills to Balls's 3)(2). Why this matchup still goes in favor of Dyrus is beacause of outside jungler intervention. One of the popular strategies that C9 employs is for Meteos, Cloud 9's Jungler, at some point in the game and potentially multiple times, to go up to the top lane and help Balls kill the enemy top laner. Amazing, TSM's jungler, did not always employ the same tactics, spending far more time in the bottom and mid lane than in the top. This means that while Balls is receiving help from his jungler, the overall stats are still virtually even. This means that even in a 2v1 against one of the dominating forces in North America right now, Dyrus is holding his own.

Win for Dyrus.

Conclusion:

In short, I've responded to every one of my opponent's arguments and showed how they were flawed, while positing my own.

Thank you, and

TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM

(1) - http://lol.gamepedia.com...
(2) - http://na.lolesports.com...
Video - TSM Hype
Ergotism

Con

Ergotism forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Pro

Awh damn, oh well.
Ergotism

Con

Ergotism forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Pro

This is gonna take a while...
Ergotism

Con

Ergotism forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Pro

One more!
Ergotism

Con

Ergotism forfeited this round.
Zaradi

Pro

ITS FINALLY OVER!
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
ErgotismZaradiTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff, pro only one to use sources