proaz
cheekyhobo

TV is unnessecary to a child's life

Started: 3/2/2008 Category: Technology

proaz

Pro

1) TV is bad for health. Once they start watching TV, they get hooked on and do not see the time fly by. The brain is more shutdown when watching TV than when people are sleeping. Because they waste all their time, they do not have enough time to exercise. They would think that TV is a much better entertainment than exercise. Also, many people start eating junk food when watching TV. This creates obesity. Most homes in America have TV's and they are a factor to why America has the largest obesity percentage in the world.

2) TV would give too much information sometimes, especially to children. Children would start learning bad words, or digusting stuff people would not want to hear. Also, TV can give much information on violence. Many shows that people watch have fighting in them, and can encourage people to think that fighting is cool.
cheekyhobo

Con

My dear sir! You are and egg-nor-a-moose. (As noted by crackle-barrel) Television is an enchanting portal into the realm of fiction,non-fiction, history, and news. It is a care-free experience. In our fast paced, arduos lives, we need that avenue to experience someone else's life who is better or worse off than ourselves so that we can laugh at them. I grew up on television and look at me now! I am perfectly sane and intelligent.

"This creates obesity. Most homes in America have TV's and they are a factor to why America has the largest obesity percentage in the world."

Uhhh.. Wrong. McDonalds does. And even if it does, the kids would get fat anyway.

I learned all of my cuss words from older siblings, not the TV. Also, parents should be better monitors of what their children are watching. It isn't the telvesion's fault for ignorant parents!

I am personally ofended that you would believe that television is a bad thing. You have placed a stigmatism on me and my fellow countrymen!
proaz

Pro

Mcdonalds? Mcdonalds is not what makes people fat. What makes people fat is not exercising, and one of the reasons for not exercising is TV. If you eat healthily but you never exercise, you get fat. I also don't think that peopel would get fat anyways.

'You' do not learn bad things from TV. How about the other millions of people? I'm sure because 'you' don't learn anything from TV means that everybody doesn't learn from TV.

You think that parents would completely control TV? That's impossible. If you draw something with a bad pencil and the picture turns out bad, it is a bad pencil, not a bad drawer. It's not the parents fault for not maintaining what the child should watch on TV.
cheekyhobo

Con

People have become so afraid of everything that they refuse to go outside and enjoy activities. That is another reason why people are fat. So, in essence, with or without TV, people would still be fat.

Most people are normal and have a tendency to have high brain capacities. Television provides a way for human beings to absorb ideas and subconscious ideas well. It increase eye-hand coordination and motor skills. These are essential resources.

Your thing about a bad pencil is flawed. I have a friend who drew and AMAZING picture with the tip of a pencil. Second, people have different ideas of beautiful.

TV is key to child development and will continue to be so in our day and age.
- Cheeks
proaz

Pro

How can people be so afraid of going outside. Everybody I know is not afraid at all of going outside. In addition, there are many ways to exercise without going outside. They could exercise at home by just running laps around their house or doing a jump rope. But instead, they would not exercise because they would rather waste their time by watching TV.

People could absorb more important ideas or subconcious ideas by doing other things, such as reading books. It is a much healthier way by reading books and also improves their eye coordination.

THe pencil thing is comparing with blaming the parents for not maitaining the child's TV time. If the TV would not show that stuff, then parents do not need to care at all.

Our previous generation has survived without a TV and have developed very well. However, many researchers say that this is the first generation that is going down.
cheekyhobo

Con

"How can people be so afraid of going outside. Everybody I know is not afraid at all of going outside" I am sorry to here that you don't get out enough to know very many people. I hope that someday you shall meet more people!

"Our previous generation has survived without a TV and have developed very well." Not to give away my true age, but my parents are pretty freaky and they didn't have TV. See TV is necessary nowadays for our youngest generation. The world has become too small for them not to have a TV.

I will concede that reading books is good. But it puts too much strain on the eyes and drains our younger generations of the little energy they have left. Between school, ACT, SAT, work, homework, volunteering, and trying to get accepted by some prestigious school, kids NEED a TV to gel and 'veg'.

Sorry that you want to be an evil dictator who would discard all happiness in the world! I hope you are satisfied, you have effectually made me cry!
Posted by HCPwns95 8 years ago
HCPwns95
I only have one thing to say: I love TV.

Without it, I probably wouldn't have been able to learn chinese. I can tell my grammar and vocabulary has significantly increased.
Posted by SandlasJuagas 8 years ago
SandlasJuagas
I think that cheeckyhobo misinterpreted the topic. He is debating that TV is not bad, not that it is necessary during a child's life. But even so, I completely disagree with just about everything cheeckyhobo said and have no idea why this debate is so close.
Posted by figoitalia 8 years ago
figoitalia
and cant people watch tv and exercise?
Posted by figoitalia 8 years ago
figoitalia
Hey I am an American in Italy, and one of the things that helped me the most was the television, watching movies, and shows in Italian makes it really easy to pick up the language... i think tv only becomes useless when the parent doesnt monitor what the child watches
Vote Placed by HCPwns95 8 years ago
HCPwns95
proazcheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by Kmille11014 8 years ago
Kmille11014
proazcheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by shrey024 8 years ago
shrey024
proazcheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by SIVAPRASAD 8 years ago
SIVAPRASAD
proazcheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by dixielover 8 years ago
dixielover
proazcheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by dxpilot 8 years ago
dxpilot
proazcheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by mrmatt505 8 years ago
mrmatt505
proazcheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by SandlasJuagas 8 years ago
SandlasJuagas
proazcheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by figoitalia 8 years ago
figoitalia
proazcheekyhoboTied
Vote Placed by DaPofoKing 8 years ago
DaPofoKing
proazcheekyhoboTied