Yksuh
HyruleGerudo

TV shows Sherlock and Spartacus are better than [your series]

Started: 11/10/2015 Category: TV

Yksuh

Pro

For my first debate here, I would enjoy debating TV shows, before tackling more philosophical topics.

First, I apologize in advance for the mistakes I could made as I am French, but still trying my best to learning English. I'm not asking for your pity when judging mastery of English, but I would appreciate to be corrected if I repeatedly make an important mistake!

Having said that, here's how this debate will be led: I, Pro, will try to stand up for the two series I chosed (ie. Sherlock [1] and Spartacus [2]) while my opponent can select two shows he will try to defend.

Assuming that participants might not know their opponent's shows, external sources or contexts will be appreciated when "quoting" a particular scene or one of the serie's aspects.

This finally brings us to the rules of the debate:

1 - No trolling, no forfeiting

2 - I will defend one of my two series in the second round and the second one in the third round, while my opponent will present his first serie in the first round and his second one in the second round.

3 - Both me and my opponent will be able to criticize the other's arguments in the second and third rounds.

4 - As my opponent starts in the first round while I start in the second one, my opponent will have the third round to attack my arguments but he mustn't give new arguments unless they are used against mines.

Good luck to my opponent and may the best series win!

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org...

HyruleGerudo

Con

Firstly, this topic is really interesting and I like the idea. I look forward to our arguments. I have not watched Spartacus or Sherlock but I have heard Sherlock is a very good show. Here are the shows I will choose for my argument:
-Daredevil- A Netflix original series based on Marvel's Daredevil comics
-The Leftovers- An HBO show based on a novel by Tom Perrotta with the same title.
I will focus on Daredevil for this round.
Daredevil takes the already cliche superhero TV show and throws it in the trash. Daredevil is incredibly dark, it features the realism that is the corruption in urban cities. It displays this with scenes of horror, including the scene in Season 1, Episode 4, when the rich and powerful villain of the series, Wilson Fisk, or better known to fans as The Kingpin, throws one of his business partners out of a car and proceeds to slam his head with the car door until his head is just 'mush.' If you would like to see this scene for yourself, here you go:
https://www.youtube.com...
What I like more than anything about this scene is the intensity. That word can describe most of the show. It is just so thrilling. The action scenes are topped off with amazing cinematography; there is no standard "shakey camera" and no poor choreograph. The show also has a surprisingly good amount of character development. When someone dies on this show, you really do care and you feel for the characters. There is huge lack of this in superhero shows. In fact, this is an issue in every genre. Matt Murdock has a very clear personality that defines him as a vigilante. His life in the real world carries over greatly into his superhero mode. One really good example of character development is in Karen Page, the secretary for Matt's law firm. She started the series out as a weak, fragile, and innocent woman and as the horrible events folded around her she started to realize what she had to do in the world she was in. She became more strong and more focused. Finally, I would like to point out that the show has amazing realism. This is what I hate most in modern television; nothing happens like it should. Daredevil counters this issue with many aspects. Matt doesn't fall in love with the first girl he meets unlike a lot of TV shows. Matt actually ends up having sex with someone but ultimately turns them down and they instead form a friendship. There is no deus ex machina and Daredevil always has to save himself. There are no events that happen where Daredevil, right before death, is miraculously saved by another hero. The same applies to other characters in the show.

In Conclusion, the reasons Daredevil is the greatest television show are:
-It is a refreshing take on the superhero television genre
-It is very dark which makes the show more interesting and thrilling
-The cinematography is excellent and avoids action scene cliches.
-Very interesting character development and love for characters as if they were real
-Completely free of the cliches of modern television, such as love interests and the dreaded deus ex machina.
Yksuh

Pro

Yksuh forfeited this round.
HyruleGerudo

Con

HyruleGerudo forfeited this round.
Yksuh

Pro

Yksuh forfeited this round.
HyruleGerudo

Con

HyruleGerudo forfeited this round.