ariel_17
DoesThouHoisteth

TV shows like 16 and Pregnant discourage teenage pregnancy

Started: 10/2/2015 Category: TV

ariel_17

Pro

I think reality TV shows like 16 and Pregnant discourage teenage pregnancy because teenagers see other teenagers become young mothers and see what responsibilities they take on once they have their child.
DoesThouHoisteth

Con

Young people are aware of the immense responsibility of child bearing. Indeed most who have siblings and those who reflect upon the demands they put on their own parents understand this responsibility.

Such shows glamorize and normalize teenage pregnancy. Those on the show tend to be middle class and so the true reality is sugar coated. When something is not taboo the choice do it becomes easier. Thus cultural normalizing of teenage promiscuity will raise teenage pregnancy.
ariel_17

Pro

ariel_17 forfeited this round.
DoesThouHoisteth

Con

awaiting response
ariel_17

Pro

ariel_17 forfeited this round.
Posted by stainless67 1 year ago
stainless67
I just want to say inreguards to this topic. I was in my senior year of high school when "Juno" came out and at least a dozen girls I knew had become pregnant or had children within 100 days of graduation. I dont think TV media was the sole influence of the teenage baby boom. I did feel at one point it became a trend and to be honest I was disgusted. In my opinion those girls are not brave for doing what they did. I'm glad most of them did the right thing and took care of the children but I do not think it was fair to the parents of those children having to them their children rasie their kids after they were sussposed to go on in life and accomplish things like expected. The fathers of those children weren't completely innocent and I do know most if not all were not ready to raise a child. The media in my opinion invariably promotes teen pregnancy among other negative things. If I have children I will have that talk with them because I do feel it stops at the home. Teen mom/16 and pregnant probably promoted the issue, none the less it comes down to the sexually active couple. off the record Janelle Evans is probably one of the worse mothers I have ever seen in my life.