mooretyler214
abyteofbrain

Tablets in school.

abyteofbrain
Started: 12/13/2013 Category: Technology

mooretyler214

Pro

IF we have tablets in schools it would make the kids lifer allot easier, they would have to carry heavy books, they could do all there work on them, research stuff, and email teaches with problems. The should be limited during school to what they can do, like have a filter on them, but I do think tablets would make everything easier.
abyteofbrain

Con

Thanks for the debate. I could use a more light-hearted debate.

First of all, they can't do everything on tablet computers until the school orients their education around them. Say, for example, if a kid at school one day has to take his iPad to school, on which he will read 5 articles, 1 chapter, take a practice quiz and a test. He then brake it on the way to school, which is extremely likely to happen. It could get broken during bullying, playing, accidents (I've personally seen many Apple products ruined by liquid damage), or just blatant acts of stupidity. What happens now? At best, he'll have double work the next day after his iPad has been replaced. Tablet computers aren't cheap, and kids wreck things, especially electronics.

The main objection I have to is, is if our government pays for the tablets to give the kids. That's one more expense that our government shouldn't have.

Also, kids will use them for non-school activities, which will cause distraction, and therefore, they won't learn much. A teacher can't tell if a kid's using his iPad to read the preamble to the constitution playing angry birds, or watching porn. There are methods that are used to try to prevent kids from misuse of the tablet, but they are usually very restrictive; not allowing the kids to do things that are useful. In some cases, they're not restricting enough. I've never seen any such method that is just right. Now for the showstopper argument. On ANY ANDROID OR ios device, these restrictions are easily bypassed. There are many known cases of children doing exactly this. I could find multiple ways for bypassing every known restriction system, and already have for the ones I've encountered. "Almost immediately after receiving their new school-issued iPads this fall, students in Indiana and in California (and probably elsewhere) managed to bypass the security on the devices, "hacking" them for "non-schoolwork" purposes: listening to music, checking Facebook, surfing the web." (1) This website does mention that they think that it's good that the children are doing so, however, as I said before, they will not learn what they are at school to learn by bypassing the restrictions. I have to say that what they did was hardly "hacking", I believe that what they probably did, was a simple reset, which requires nothing but the iPad and a computer with iTunes. There are other ways that they could have bypassed without even accessing a computer though. Once one kid bypasses his tablet PC (and it will happen), bypassing will go viral. If a kid sees another kid do it, he'll research how to do it, ask the other kid how to, or bribe him. This kind of thing does happen in schools.

The most reasonable solution, is if the schools had specially designed OSs to go on their tablets, but this would not be worth the effort or money.

Is carrying books really an issue? Its another activity that will give them exercise. Books are easily replaceable, tablet PCs are not. Tablet PCs require configuration, books do not. Tablet PCs require fixing, books do not. Modern tablet PC configurations focus on online material, which makes them more of a problem than an aid if the power or internet blacks out. Kids would still have to carry their tablets. Transportation puts tablets at great risk, and these tablets would be in transit at least five days per week. When tablet PCs work, they would save work, but they don't always work.

Tablet PCs also have bright displays, which wear out eyes much more than books. Even if the kid doesn't get his tablet PC bypassed, it can be distracting to be exploring the various features of the tablet. I know this from experience.

I look forward to your response.

1: http://www.theatlantic.com...
mooretyler214

Pro

mooretyler214 forfeited this round.
abyteofbrain

Con

Foreward to my opponent.
mooretyler214

Pro

mooretyler214 forfeited this round.
abyteofbrain

Con

ok.............................................................................
mooretyler214

Pro

mooretyler214 forfeited this round.
abyteofbrain

Con

I was looking foreward to this debate.
mooretyler214

Pro

mooretyler214 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
mooretyler214abyteofbrainTied
Reasons for voting decision: Needless to say, the only real arguments of the round are Con's. Forfeits mean that Con wins conduct, and the only source was his as well.