dhaase
Sgraf

Taking Liberal Arts courses in College are a waste of time

dhaase

Pro

I believe that taking liberal arts courses that colleges mandate is a waste of time. If i am majoring in accounting why should i have to take an art class and music class? I feel it is a waste of my time and a waste of money to take courses that most people had to take in high school. I can understand if you are a certain major and one of those liberal arts classes helps you master a skill you will need in your field, but like i said why should i have to take art if i am an accounting major. When will i ever need to know what kind of binder is used in oil painting? That has nothing to do with my accounting field and is pretty much pointless.
Sgraf

Con

The purpose of making student take liberal arts classes in not to learn the particulars of which artist drew the mona lisa or specifics like that but instead to make the student a more well rounded person who can function and adapt to the circumstances of the real world. I myself am an accounting major and would love to be able to take just accounting classes but the fact is that those classes only educate you on the more technical aspects of working in accounting, while the general education classes such as philosophy and communication help you develop the other skills that are needed in order to be successful. It i great to understand the tax system in its entirety but if you haven't developed a good understanding of ethics and reasoning then you most likely will fall short in the professional world.
dhaase

Pro

Yes i understand taking philosophy and communication would help in the accounting field but what about music and art? I do not believe that taking an art and music class will make me a more rounded student and if so isnt that what high school is for? You take liberal arts classes in high school to become more well rounded, i dont think i should have to take art and music classes in college since i already took them in high school. If you pay to go to school you should be able to take the classes that you are interested in or that will help enhance your skills in your particular field. You go to college to major in a subject so you can get a job in that field once you are done with college. You shouldn't have to go and take courses that you are not interested in, have nothing to do with your major, and dont help yu with any skills that will help you get a job once you are done with college.
Sgraf

Con

In order to understand why colleges make you take these classes you are first going to need to step out side of your own reasoning. These colleges and associations that they receive accreditation from establish these standard curriculum requirements in order to transform students from children just leaving high school with relatively no understanding of how the real world works into an ideal functioning member of society. These institutions feel that for the complete transformation from childhood into adulthood to occur the student should receive an education that exposes him or her to the ideas and creations of people and cultures outside of there specific field of study. the goal of an undergraduate program is to train you in your field of choice obviously but also to develop your all around skills and understanding of the world you reside in and the people who determine the curriculum at these institutions feel that art and music and any other core classes are necessary to do so.
dhaase

Pro

Who wants to develop there art skills if there major is business? What skills do art and music help develop that will help me in my field? I don't understand the relevance of me going to college to become an accountant and having to take art. If i wanted to be an artist or musician I would have majored in one of those categories. Taking classes that don't develop your skills in your field are pointless. I think you gain enough skills from taking these classes in high school that you shouldn't have to repeat it in college. If you didn't have to take liberal arts classes that don't involve skills that will give you the edge in your major, students would save a lot more money because there would be less classes. You go to high school to gain skills in all possible core classes, you shouldn't have to go to college and repeat this cycle. Why take college algebra when i did the same things when i was in 8th grade? It's a waste of time and a waste of money.
Sgraf

Con

Sgraf forfeited this round.