Vox_Veritas
pokemonali1

Taking into account their consoles and time periods, Gen. II was the best Pokemon generation.

Vox_Veritas

Pro

The title section apparently has a limited amount of characters, so here's an explanation of the resolution:

We look at the features and capacity each console on which a main Pokemon game was originally released had, as well as other games released for the consoles in question, and we determine which Pokemon generation was the best for its time.
For an extreme example, a video game in color and 32-bit released in 1969 would be WAY more impressive for its time than a normal CoD (Call of Duty) game released in 2007, despite the fact that a comparison merely looking at the quality of each game would obviously reveal the CoD game to be better.

"Main" Pokemon games include:
1. Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow Versions (Generation I, Kanto)
2. Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal Versions (Generation II, Johto)
3. Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald Versions (Generation III, Hoenn)
4. Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum Versions (Generation IV, Sinnoh)
5. Pokemon Black 1, White 1, Black 2, and White 2 Versions (Generation V, Unova)
6. Pokemon X and Y Versions (Generation VI, Kalos)

Obviously, the remake titles (Fire Red and Leafgreen Versions, Heart Gold and Soul Silver Versions, and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire Versions) do not count. Neither do side games (Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Rumble, Pokemon Trozei, Pokemon Rangers, etc).
The main games listed only. No future Pokemon generations have been announced, much less released, as of this current moment, so even if Nintendo made another main game it won't be included in this debate.

My opponent is to pick one main Pokemon generation and the main games associated with it, and argue that it is the best, or at least superior to Generation II according to the standard described above. My opponent obviously may not pick the same Generation as I have (that is, Generation II). Burden of Proof will be shared. First Round is for acceptance.
In accepting this debate my opponent consents to the rules described above.

I await a worthy opponent and a fun debate.
pokemonali1

Con

Firstly remakes should be taken into account because they have new features etc but since this is excluding remakes it is very hard to argue against. The black and white series was a major let down: although the Pok"mon were quite exciting the stories were rubbish and so was the setting imagine playing diamond on a gameboy (or whatever you played gold on)most stories are quiet good but it is really the sceneries and the Pok"mon (no matter how pixelated) that makes it count. Personally I think x and y were brilliant and although they were more advanced I feel I still would have enjoyed them in peel lasted format.
Vox_Veritas

Pro

1. Johto vs. Kanto
I thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I shall begin now.

First, I'd like to note that the first generation is generally the most popular. After all, the original game boy didn't have a large number of good games. Red and Blue were probably the best games of their console.
HOWEVER, something should be noted. According to Wikipedia, both the original Game Boy and the Game Boy Color were 8-bit and both used the "Zilog Z80" central processing unit (CPU). Virtually the only difference, if I'm not mistaken, was the Game Boy Color's utilization of color (as the name suggested).
Thus, the Game Boy Color should be considered equivalent to the normal Game Boy except with color graphics. We might as well consider them both to belong to the same handheld console.
Despite this, Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal Versions had SIXTEEN gym leaders and the in-game map was almost twice as large.
Also, Generation II introduced 2 new types (Dark and Steel), friendship (though the starter Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow had this), gender for Pokemon other than Nidoran and its evolutions, a female gender option for the player (in Crystal only), the division of the "Special" stat into Special Attack and Special Defense, modernization of the "Bag" option, the ability of Pokemon to hold items, the existence of shiny Pokemon, Pokemon breeding, the day and night system (which was actually abandoned by Generation III), legendary Pokemon for game mascots, the ability to rebattle trainers, common trainers having names, the "Pokegear" (later games would feature similar contraptions based off the Pokegear), the Battle Tower (Crystal only), animation sequences for Pokemon when entering the field (Crystal only), etc.
IN FACT, even wireless trade and battles was first introduced in Generation II if one had access to a largely obscure, now defunct paid online service called the "Pokemon Mobile System GB" (available only for the Japanese version of Pokemon Crystal).
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...
http://serebii.net...
Roughly 24 games for both the GBC and the GBA were compatible with the Mobile Adapter GB (the device used to make this feature possible).
http://www.gamesniped.com...
The wireless system in question did not make an appearance in Generation III and was not reintroduced until Generation IV (which was for the DS, and by this time wireless gaming for handhelds was common; the DS had wireless capabilities for many, many, many games).
Sadly, the Pokemon Mobile System GB was discontinued in late 2002.

On the downside, Generation II introduced the smallest number of new Pokemon of any generation until Generation VI (Pokemon X and Y). Since my opponent is solely advocating X and Y, this may actually help my case.
Speaking of which...

2. Johto vs. Kalos

First of all, here's a sample of the gameplay of each game.
Pokemon Silver:
https://m.youtube.com...
Pokemon X Footage:
https://m.youtube.com...

Now, here's footage of what's widely considered the best Game Boy Color game of all time:
https://m.youtube.com...
Other than the (awesome) cutscenes, its graphics are roughly equal to that of Gold and Silver, or perhaps slightly better.

On the other hand, here's footage of a fairly good (graphicwise) Nintendo 3DS game:
https://m.youtube.com...

Which game is more impressive for its console? I think we both know the answer to that question. Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal seem to be second best, just behind the Oracle of Seasons and Ages (though I can't be 100% sure about that). Pokemon X and Y are rivaled by many other games of its console. In regards to gameplay, Gold and Silver had a simply amazing amount of gameplay, while X and Y, though impressive, is not all that special for a 3DS game in this regard.

Earlier I showed what new features Gen. II brought to the table. How about Gen. VI? It brought about Mega Evolution, the ability to walk 8-grid instead of 4-grid, 1 new type (Fairy), gimmicky new ways to fight (horde encounter, sky battle, etc), the abandonment of Gen. V's seasons (a bad change), "super training", etc. Hardly groundbreaking at all.

Conclusion:
Gold, Silver, and Crystal trump X and Y. Case closed.
pokemonali1

Con

pokemonali1 forfeited this round.
Vox_Veritas

Pro

Extend all arguments.
pokemonali1

Con

pokemonali1 forfeited this round.
Vox_Veritas

Pro

Extend all arguments.
pokemonali1

Con

pokemonali1 forfeited this round.
Posted by Vox_Veritas 1 year ago
Vox_Veritas
So I guess that my opponent picked Generation VI, and this will be assumed by Pro unless Con states otherwise.
Posted by Vox_Veritas 1 year ago
Vox_Veritas
lol
Posted by ClashnBoom 1 year ago
ClashnBoom
I would accept but I agree that taking into account everything Gen 2 is the best.