Talk a stranger out of suicide

Okay so this is meant to be a fun debate.
So the theory here is that someone is on a ledge of a tall building ready to jump off, and commit suicide. Both debaters are going to try and convince the person on the ledge not jump.

The winner of this debate will be who the voters decide best deterred the suicide jumper from wanting to commit suicide.

1. Neither debater can pretend to know this person. This Virtual person, is a complete stranger.

2. A forfeit goes to show you do not care about the person, and thus all 7 points go the opponent.

3. We are not making direct arguments against each other. We are both writing a letter, speech, or basically whatever you want to say to this imaginary person. For the sake of being random, let's say this person's name is Adam. This way you can refer to him personally by his feux name.

4. The voting criteria is determined by which person best made compelling arguments to not committing suicide, or emotionally deterring speeches that deterred the person from committing suicide.

Round 1 Can either be for acceptance, or the Con can make his first speech in it.

If choose to use it for acceptance, than I will start in round 2.

Good luck to whoever accepts this challenge!

Inspirational speech?

*Steps up to the window near the Ledge where Adam is standing, ready to jump*

Ahem, Excuse me sir! Yes, listen, I know you probably have a lot on your mind right now, but if you could just hear me out for a little bit here, I would like to speak with you!

*Pulls out guitar, and starts playing it while singing*

Alright man, now it's for me to get serious. I want to tell you a little bit about why this is a very bad Idea, my friend.

Listen I know your feeling down right now. I have felt it too. But listen mate, this seriously is not the answer. Trust me whatever your experiencing now, will one day vanish, and will even be replaced by the most intense happiness you could ever feel!

Let me start off with a few things.

Alright matey, listen, death is not worth it. Again, I don't know what it is you are going through in your life right now. I want you to think for a moment please. Think about the happiest moment you have ever had in your life? How old were you? Where were you? What made this memory so happy? Think about all these questions while you conjure the image up in your head.
Now something is going on with you particularly in your life right now, that is deterring you and preventing you from seeing life the way you may have saw it at the particular time in your life when you were the happiest.
What specific road blocks have come into play since then? Also what is it that has prevented you from experiencing that same un-happiness? These questions are all rhetorical, by the way. I don't expect you to answer any of them, or reveal any personal information, just to think about them.
My next question is most important. What would you do then, to experience that happiness again?
Now when considering this, I want you to really think about how worth it being happy to you really is. We know for a fact that lack of happiness is what has got you up on this ledge here.

So without even having to answer the question, I already know that your primary goal is happiness.

So now the big question here is this. Is the few times of happiness we feel, not worth all of the bull crap we have to go through in life for? I mean it's always going to be there. Life will never be perfect for anyone by any means.

So how do we deal with this in a way such that is not so mentally tolling, and itching at the back of our minds every day, about the stresses, problems, and anything else we occur?

The answer is attitude. Which admittedly can be hard to sustain.

But friend, I would like you to know that maintaining a certain attitude is not impossible. There all several different ways we can enthusiastically enforce happiness.

I am going to tell you some of the things that I myself do.

So often I focus on the many things that go wrong. Humans as a whole naturally do this. So much that when things do work for them, they do not take it as anything more than a normal occurrence.

Let's break it down a little bit for you. Let's suppose this scenario is going to be your day.

You wake up. You make breakfast, brush your teeth, get ready, and are looking good for work. You then get in your car and begin to drive to work. You get stopped at a red light. Instantly your mind pulls up a red flag and says something along the lines of "GREAT Just what I need!", and you managed to barely get to work on time.
Your boss asks you to fetch him a cup of coffee. You do. As you head back you trip, and coffee spills all over you and the freshly cleaned floor. Your brain now is saying "Damn it, my day just keeps getting worse. Your boss says "Don't worry about it", and sends you to work on some documents. As you arrive in your office you notices piles of paperwork on your desk, and know this is going to be extremely time consuming, and vexing. Finally your brain says "I have had enough! I am not happy! Nothing is going my way!".

And thus your day has been determined to be what you would consider bad. Now let's take a look back at this scenario and find if there were any good things that happened.

- You had a good breakfast.
- You prepped yourself up to look well for work, no problems.
- You own a working car, where many people have to walk, or take busses.
- Your boss is kind and dismisses your accident.
- Even though there is a lot of work, you still have a job, where as a lot of people are poverty stricken!

Now I know that this little scenario may have absolutely nothing to do with the things you are going through. For all I know, it could be extremely worse than that. However, I want you to understand the point here, that the way we live in happiness, is by recognizing the many many good things that happen to us in our every day life, that we so often seem to forget about.
Another way to do it is to look at the 'problems' as challenges. The word problem implies that it is just something in the way. The word challenge changes the whole pretext of the situation, however. When we are able to look at something that goes wrong, and say to ourselves, ya know, that's not all the bad. In fact I am happy this happened, because I have the opportunity to learn something from this!

Okay, maybe I went a little overboard with this. No you aren't expected to act that way over every little challenge. The point is more to not look at them as something bigger than they are, however.

There is one more thing I want to talk to you about right now though.

I want you to close your eyes for a minute. Again I want you to create some mental pictures in your head again. Who is the person you love most in life? Which person holds so much importance to you that without this person, the world would seem just a little bit dimmer without?

See this person. This person is in anguish. They feel they have lost everything. This person no longer wants to live. This person attempts to commit suicide. The "attempt" is a success.

Your phone rings. You hear the news. You drop the phone before the person is done speaking. It can't be true. Not this person. You jump in your car, and head to where the person said the act happened. You see this persons house is on fire, as they are the only person inside. You scream and run towards the house, but are held back by police and fireman. As you scream and scream for this person, The fireman just keeps repeating "It's too late... It's too late."

You wonder to yourself "Why? Why did you do this!" You break down and cry.

As the funeral starts, you are finally able to look down at this person. This person is beautiful to you in heart and in mind. How has this person shown up for you in your life? What memories did you hold with this person? Was this person a family member? Was this person a Friend? Was this person a lover?

The funeral ends. People start to leave, but not you. You stay. You can't bear to leave this person. This person who meant so much to you. Who possibly changed your life. After hours, your are forced away. You watch as your loved one is buried. The last sight you will ever see of the person who you love so much. You go to their house. Though it is charred, and burnt, by a self lit and purposeful fire, you do not care. You enter the bedroom. This is the place where this person would sleep. You touch the burnt bed longingly. Is it still messy from how they woke up that morning? Was it nice and folded? You realize that everything that was left in the room, was the way it was as made by this person. Suddenly it all seems special to you. The posters, the dirty clothes on the ground, even the meaningless things. These things all belonged to this person. This person who you held so dearly to your life. You ask yourself again "Why? How could this person leave me?"

*Pulls out guitar, and begins singing one more time*

(Please watch second video)

I am done talking for now my friend, but please consider my words. My friend Imabench wishes to speak to you.

Hi Adam, my name is Imabench. I dont know what the f*ck took TUF so long but listening to him babble on and on made me wanna jump off a building and kill myself, you know what im saying? LOL

Listen im not going to bullsh*t you, i'll give it to you straight. There are only two reasons why people do what it is your doing.

1) They are blaming themselves for something that they couldnt control or didnt cause
2) They are blaming themselves for messing up something that could have been fixed.

If its the first one Adam, then there is no reason why you should be out here. There is so much of the world that we try to control but the simple thing is that we cant control anything at all. The world has its own mind and its own free will, just like you Adam. We all try to control things that we cant control, and we cant lose our minds every time we try to control something and fail. The world has its own way of working and if you stick through all of the crappy parts, it will always works out in the end. When my dad died from cancer I wanted to jump too, I was just a freshman in high school when it happened, I still had half a childhood to celebrate with my dad and I had all of that taken away from me by something i didnt have any control over. They say that children are supposed to bury their parents, but mine happened too soon.... too soon. I went through the phases too, denial, anger, sadness, all of that, but i still cant accept it, even four years later.

There will be tragic stuff in your life that you simply cannot control, but you shouldnt opt for death just because you hit a rough spot in your life though, you have to press on because its the worst of times that makes the best of times the best of times......

Now the only other reason you could be out here Adam is if you made a mistake about something you did have control over. We all make mistakes from time to time, and some times we f*ck up pretty big. My biggest screw up was probably the time i dyed my balls green.....

What happened was that I went to a University of Miami football game with green hair to see If I could get on TV, which I did, but then when later that night I had to shower and wash it all out. However all of the green hair water trickled from my hair down my body and it all somehow met up "south of the border".............. at the "party zone"........... to throw one hell of a fiesta.

Green haired Imabench:

(Yes im nuts ;D)

Now that doesnt sound like something I couldnt control but it got much worse. Rather than try to viciously wash it out and do irreparable damage to my own goods, I chose to leave it there and over time it would simply go away as I "landscaped" the affected area.

What I didnt know is that green hair dye that stays in hair for more than 3 days in a row starts to itch like its being rubbed by a cheese grater......

So for an entire month of my life I considered mutilating George Washington to relieve the itching. I named my goods George Washington because its patriotic, it looks like its 50 years old, and it loves freedom but thats besides the point.

My point is, no matter how big of a mistake you could make, it could always have ended more catastrophically. To quote Bill Clinton, "If you live long enough, you'll make mistakes. But if you learn from them, you'll be a better person." And I learned that month never to dye my balls green, and that actually makes me a better person since I learned from my mistake."

Im going to go back inside now and I would like it if you came too......... Because I got some nice stinky weed and I cant smoke all of this stuff by myself, I could use your help :)

Eh HEM! Please excuse my "Friend". Just forget about that whole part about his painted balls, I think he went a little out of context there.

Ya know mate, there was a time, where I was in your shoes as well. I was super depressed. Almost to the point of suicide. You see, I had a sweet tooth. One that was not satisfied. I had a lovely batch of cookies, that I had unfortunately lost! I spent moths looking for them. Each month that went by, I slipped just a little bit deeper into my depression. I missed those cookies dearly. I felt I had held them close to me for so long, only to have gotten them ripped straight from my fingers. Where had I put them? I often wondered to myself. Eventually I had to let go. I was heart broken.

Then one day, I was casually strolling my kitchen, when long behold....

Now suddenly my life had it's meaning restored! What I had once thought to have had been gone forever, now confronted my longing eyes once more. I was the happiest person you could ever meet.

My point here mate, is to NEVER give up. There is always hope. That which you once thought to be lost, may still be out there, waiting for you to reach out and take it! And then to run around screaming about how happy you are about finding it!

While Imabench was giving you his speech about his green balls, I found and rounded up some people who understand what you are going through. They agreed to sing you a song, written specifically for you, mate.

*Suddenly Blink 182 forms it's set up on the ground below*

There are time in your life, when you will feel like nobody cares. There are times in your life, where you feel like nobody loves you. There are times in your life, where you'll feel like all people care about is bragging about their green nutsack, when all you want to do is jump. I am not going to do that to you my friend. I want you to know I am here. I am listening. You are a never ending vortex of creativity, and intellect. You are the vast and special bond that makes human life exactly what it is.

Don't give up.

Because there is always hope.

And there is Always some on out there who loves you.

I wanted to tell you a series of quotes about suicide, made by famous people.

As anyone who has been close to someone that has committed suicide knows, there is no other pain like that felt after the incident. - Peter Greene

Every man has the right to risk his own life in order to preserve it. Has it ever been said that a man who throws himself out the window to escape from a fire is guilty of suicide?- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

A lot of people told me that I'm committing musical suicide with my sound. -Kid Rock

MMM actually scratch that last one! Pulled that one from the wrong book I suppose!

I think we have established that happiness is the goal here. In order to succeed in being happy, though we must first pursue it.

I have one more friend I would like you to meet. His name is Mr. Randy Pausch. And he has a little message for you.

How do we achieve happiness?

We experience. We get out there and pursue those dreams that we have always wanted to do, or accomplish.

Stop waiting around. What is holding you back? Money? Drama in some relationship? There comes a point in life, where we just have to look at it all and say "SCREW IT! I am doing what I want to do!"

Why wait to find that you have stalled your entire life, just to grasp the happiness that is hanging right in front of your face, eager to be grabbed and used?

There is no reason. We create reasons, excuses, and more problems by becoming hopeless.

When we give up hope, we eliminate all the options we once had to making our life become greater.

The thing so many of us often don't realize, is that the opportunities we are looking for a right in front of our noses waiting to be taken advantage of!

Humans are the most intelligent beings on the planet, and arguably, the universe (for those of you who don't believe in alien life forms). We have evolved greatly from the beginning of our existence here on earth. Our knowledge only grows and continues to grow, with each and every passing year. Why is it that we learn so rapidly? It is because from the beginning, man kind has always asked questions. How can we search for an answer without the question?
There are many big questions that man has asked yet still search for the answer to. Such as, "Why are we here?", "What happens after death?", or "Is their a greater being?". There are so many questions, but I think that (arguably) the biggest one, is "What is the meaning of life?".

My answer to the question is: To enjoy life!

Everything we do on this earth, whether we know it or not, is to achieve some sort of goal of happiness. Even those who commit their lives to acts of terror, know (given their beliefs) that they will be rewarded in the afterlife, which is their happiness.

We go to work everyday, such that we can support ourselves or our families. But it is more than that. Because living is more than just staying alive. To really live, we need to enjoy our lives and have fun!

What I mean when I say the rest is "time wasted", is this. If you were to go into an office every single day of your life, to earn money to live, yet never did anything to enjoy your life, what would the point of life be? There is simply no such gain of value from wasting your life away at a good job, with no end mean.

So why not make a living doing what we love instead? The pay may not be great, but at least we enjoy ourselves, thus fulfilling some sort of life goals based on our perceptions and beliefs. If you were to die this way, knowing that you have accomplished all the goals in life to make you happy, how could you ever say it was a life wasted?

A lot of us have dis-illusioned ourselves to believe that in order to accomplish our wants, me must first accomplish our needs! We fail to see that is it possible to accomplish our needs by first acknowledging our wants. So technically this boils down to our attitude about life.

Here's an explanation of how we illusion ourselves into unhappiness by telling ourselves that we must accomplish our needs to be happy.

Average mindset:

I need _____.

If I have _____ then I will get _____.

Now let me point out the flaw with this mindset that creates unhappiness, by filling in the blanks.

I need a good job.

If I have a good job then I will get Good money.

If I get good money, I can pay my bills.

If I can pay my bills then I can focus on Building my fence.

If I Build my fence, then I can clean my house.

If I clean my house... Etc. Etc.

Truth is, the list can perpetually go on and on, til virtually forever. Yet at the same time we deny ourselves of happiness, when replacing our wants with needs.

Really, what do we accomplish by accepting a need? Better attainability to accomplish other needs?

All the while, by doing this we neglect and deny that what we WANT is happiness, and by doing so, refuse to obtain it.

What if happiness was as simple to achieve, by easily reaching out in front of us and taking it? By enjoying all the little things in our life, such that we don't have to neglect and distrust that it is there, out hanging right before our blinded eyes?

What if we went into all of our daily actions with an attitude of "This is what I want!", such that we can obtain our one and only true need. The need to be happy, and enjoy life.

Adam, I believe that happiness is something that is achievable for everyone. You are not excluded. Get out there and go for your goals and your dreams. Now Come inside and let's continue our talk. We have cookies. :)

Hi Adam, Its me, Imabench. You probably don't recognize me because of my beard, I grew it while waiting for TUF to hurry up ;D

In all seriousness though, I'm guessing that the reason you are still out here is because you are still really committed to jumping........ If your looking for the golden reason to why you should or shouldn't jump though I cant say that I know what it is, I'm just here to try to reason with you if your willing to listen. The fact that you're still here though sort of implies that your open to suggestions though.

We all go through pain Adam, whether it comes in the form of being heart broken or having your balls itch so bad it feels like an army of ants has colonized it.... I could never fully comprehend the amount of pain you've went through or even what it is that caused you to do this in the first place, but I do know that suicide is a choice made in times of desperation.

You know the phrase "never go to bed angry?"...... Well that's a load of horse sh*t right there. Some of the biggest decisions made in life require more than a day to mull it over or to settle it. Sometimes a good night's sleep calms a person down and helps them think better about their actions, and I think that when it comes down to a person deciding to take his own life or not, well a decision that big requires a lot of time to think about it and mull it over. One of my biggest problems in life is that I am impulsive and make judgement calls, and many times I end up regretting them.

Mistakes happen, and you just need to clear your mind and come to the most rational conclusion you can make when all the other options are eliminated. And I have to say Adam..... I'm not entirely sure you've eliminated all the options. Suicide doesn't really solve anything, its just a way to escape from the world and its problems that can still be resolved. I realize that sometimes the biggest meaning in life is doing everything in your power to right something that you did wrong and gain peoples respect back after you lost it.

I'm only going to ask you to mull it over again and ponder if suicide is the only way to solve your problems even though suicide doesn't solve any problems at all, and just gives people more problems.

I'm going back inside again but let me say one more thing. Suicide sounds like the quick and easy solution, but its not really a solution at all, and sometimes what is quick and easy isn't the right thing to do.

Okay buddy so this is my last chance to talk to you. I want to make it count.

How old are you? 23? That's not very old at all mate.

Listen, I know your having a hard time right now. Maybe a "hard time" is putting the term lightly. I have absolutely no idea what happened.

My girlfriend of 2 years just broke up with me the other night. And she refused to give me a direct answer as to why. It was almost as if I hadn't known her for 2 entire years... Everything about her. Suddenly she wants to play these game on me. At first, ya know I was depressed as hell. I spent the whole night not sleeping, and writing my feelings of hate and anger into a word document.

Last night I was able to spend some time with a friend, who reminded me of some very important things however.

Things I already knew, but once hearing again made me look a little bit closer at them.

Right now I could join you up on that ledge. I could be dreading life, that the only person I had in life has left me, for practically no other reason than she wanted to. After 2 years. But I am not going to join you up there. In fact I am going to ask you to join me in here.

Because honestly I have learned from this.

Why should I allow my happiness to rely on one person?
I mean, seriously, I am only 19. What am I doing wasting my time being depressed? I have another 80 or so years to live, so why not make them count?

I have realized that the true meaning of life is to live in happiness. If I am not doing everything I can to be happy, then I cannot justifiably blame my pity on her.

Who knows why she left me? Better question who cares? Every second I waste worrying about why she did it, and feeling sorry for myself, I am wasting the valuable time that I could be actually doing something to replace that hole she left me.

Adam, you have a big hole. Something is missing from your life.

I am not saying replacing that hole is going to be easy. But you at least owe it to yourself to try.

Because, quite frankly not giving yourself a chance is unfair to you.

You have lived 23 short years. You have many more to come. Some will be hard... Maybe even harder than what your going through now.

But the good times you will experience, the memories you will create, will far outweigh any of those feelings.

Adam you don't know what your missing out on. And you never will unless you try it, give yourself a chance.

Don't end your life because of this. You are great. Everything that makes up you is special in every way imaginable.

And there is someone out there right now, who is waiting for you to change their life.

"To be, or not to be, that is the question:
Whether 'tis Nobler in the mind to suffer
The Slings and Arrows of outrageous Fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them: to die, to sleep
No more; and by a sleep, to say we end
The heart-ache, and the thousand Natural shocks
That Flesh is heir to? 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die to sleep,
To sleep, perchance to Dream; Ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause. There's the respect
That makes Calamity of so long life:
For who would bear the Whips and Scorns of time,
The Oppressor's wrong, the proud man's Contumely, [F:poor]
The pangs of despised Love, the Law’s delay, [F:disprized]
The insolence of Office, and the Spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his Quietus make
With a bare Bodkin? Who would Fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered Country, from whose bourn
No Traveller returns, Puzzles the will,
And makes us rather bear those ills we have,
Than fly to others that we know not of.
Thus Conscience does make Cowards of us all,
And thus the Native hue of Resolution
Is sicklied o'er, with the pale cast of Thought,
And enterprises of great pitch and moment, [F:pith]
With this regard their Currents turn awry, [F:away]
And lose the name of Action. Soft you now,
The fair Ophelia? Nymph, in thy Orisons
Be all my sins remembered"

So Adam, together, we can take arms against the sea of troubles. Change the tide and make those troubles worth fighting against.

Because what fun is there in life if we do not have challenges to over come?

Adam I want you to consider all of. Consideration can be hard when waiting atop a ledge.

So take a step back inside, and the let's take the first step towards becoming happy together.

Dont play dumb I heard what he said, he said that he wants to be happy together with you!!! I have to give you props you must be a real player if you can get a gay guy to hit on you without even trying, well done sir well done. I also have to give props for making it through the Hamlet recital, when I watched the movie and that long a** scene came up I thought about killing myself. If you didnt jump while sitting through that then deep down you really do want to live.

TUF's gay marriage proposal though sort of reminds me of how things can simply fall into your lap without even trying...... Those things can bring good luck or bad luck, and you cant always control which one ends up falling into your life. Sometimes you just have to be frank with people to avoid any drama. I think TUF is a good guy, but trust me Adam, you could do way better.

When life gives you lemons you make lemonade, life just gave you TUF but you might want to return him to get your money back. You still have a lot of time to take what life gives you and make something out of it. Thats all anyone can do and Im sure you can still do plenty with what life gives you.

Ill see you inside, If you dont come, then TUF might come back out and talk to you again 0_0
Posted by OberHerr 4 years ago
Hmm, personally, if I was proposed to by you TUF, I would end it all right there, as clearly that is a Sign from God that I am not meant to go on.
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
And now we wait
Posted by Stephen_Hawkins 4 years ago
Vote third party:

Do a flip!

/end argument
Posted by imabench 4 years ago

Posted by TUF 4 years ago
:D nac
Posted by Mestari 4 years ago
I looked at imabench's picture and jumped off the ledge... I think that means TUF wins...
Posted by TUF 4 years ago
I don't have a personal vendetta against anybody. :P
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Nah bench. He just hates you because hot chicks always set their asses on you. All he has is LDF, and we all know Ginger's have no souls.
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
Well nobody does but TUF is talking like he has a personal vendetta against me or something.

Posted by bossyburrito 4 years ago
He does not wanna be beaten by a bench/ Jack Sparrow.
Vote Placed by miketheman1200 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: countering bobbyluig
Vote Placed by bobbyluig 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Yes, my decision has been made
Vote Placed by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: TUF's persuasive method was calm, genuine, and sincere, while ima's first impression was erratic and rude. ima probably killed the guy, because people who are depressed, sad, and scared don't want to be forced into laughter, especially in the lowest state of one's life. -conduct for trolling
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I dont think this was a troll debate, and last round was trolled by con, hence conduct. Conduct also I see the comment on the beard in round 3 poor conduct. It seems Pros arguments where more related to the debate and the actual essence of that this debate was about, further he had much more substance as well. He gave more legitament arguments, and TUF seemed to have a good case for reasons to help a stranger. I think PRO won.
Vote Placed by royalpaladin 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: imabench trolled in the last round so he loses conduct. I thought that TUF's approach was better anyways. Acting like a clown is not going to be very helpful . . .
Vote Placed by Travniki 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I feel like Benches combination and humour and identification with the condition of the jumper had a better chance of prevention
Vote Placed by bossyburrito 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Although Mr. Benches arguments were a bit... Ahem, I feel like Pro had a bit more substance,