The_DRG
skylerbergstad

Talkativeness

The_DRG

Con

Talkativeness in the classroom is annoying and disruptive obviously. So why do teachers bother doing group projects when they know if the children are allowed to pick their groups they will be with their friends. Even if the teachers were picking these kids some would still end up with someone to talk to. Talking is annoying and should really only take place during a problem's discussion, debate, or lesson.
skylerbergstad

Pro

I will allow you to start your argument first next round, but with it could you also define talkativeness? Also, are you against talking in school or what? Please explain. Thank you and good luck
The_DRG

Con

I am against talkativeness in school to answer your question sorry for the confusion. Talkativeness as described by dictionary.com inclined to talk a great deal. Talkativeness described by Websters dictionary tending to talk alot or enjoy having conversations with people. Now as i am not opposed to a good conversation but i am opposed to a conversation not in topic of school such as speaking out in class or starting a random chit chat. In the cafeteria i have no problem but while in the context of the classroom i do. I myself am a student in a school and for a debate project i have been assigned this topic as practice i challenged you. As we speak here i have people around me talking about nothing to do with their topic.
skylerbergstad

Pro

I see the point that you make, and how it can be disruptive to students who are trying to prepare for the future. However, even though you may see it as nonsense, and think that whatever it is they are talking about shouldn't be talked about in school, conversing with your peers can help you in the future also, no matter the topic. They are practicing the language they use and with each sentence they are improving their social skills for the future. Some would say social skills are very important in the future, even the most important thing for your future, as it helps you convey what you mean and helps your master your verbal communication. However it mostly depends on the path you go on. Some careers don't require rigorous schooling, but instead require a mastery of speech.
The_DRG

Con

I understand what you are saying and I realize careers do need a mastery of speech to them and I see how talking can improve ones verbal skill. Still talking in class is not a thing that is supposed to be done at least not to the extent of talking about nonsense that does NOT apply to the task, assignment, etc at hand. May I remind you we are discussing talking in school not in the general rule its listed under education not misc. If a child wanted to improve verbal skill might I suggest they just join a debate team or a intellectual writing class wouldn't you say the debate we are having right now is a good example of us improving our skill of debate? So yes talking can improve verbal skill and verbiage but we all know too well the annoying voices in a school classroom are a bad thing.
skylerbergstad

Pro

There are many reasons why many people think that school should be a place of strict learning, with the classes being the main priority. However, even with schools in the situation that they are in, where the kids talk about random things during class time, kids are still very stressed with homework, sports, extra curricular activities, jobs, etc. Sometimes they may not even have a chance outside of school to talk to fellow classmates and communicate and develop their social skills, simply because they are too busy. In February 2014, a survey was conducted to see the stress levels of adults vs. high school kids, and according to the statistics, kids felt more stressed than most adults (http://www.apa.org...).
Some kids may talk because they know if they focus on their homework and school all of they time, they may have a anxiety attack. School is a place of learning, yes, but if the kids are so stressed about school that they aren't able to even learn, what good are we doing? Talking to their peers may also keep them from getting bored and sleeping. This may help them learn a bit more than sitting around listening to a teacher or working on an assignment for hours on end. Thank you for the debate and good luck.