Sandy8
Themoderate

Tattoos Are Unnecessary

Themoderate

Sandy8

Pro

Tattoos are unnecessary. Not only are they painful, but they are one of the worst ways to keep a memory.

First round is acceptance only.

Rules:

1. No profanity
2. No racism or hate
3. No insults

Thank you to whoever chooses to accept.
Themoderate

Con

I graciously accept your debate my friend.
Sandy8

Pro

Thank you, Con, for accepting this debate.

I would like to start off by reminding everyone that tattoos are permanent. Now, I realize that people get tattoos so that someone, or something, can be a part of them forever, but tattoos are not the right way to do that. Why not have a picture of them instead? Or something of theirs that they gave you? There are many ways to cherish a loved one or thing, but tattoos are not the right way to do it.

Our bodies are very important and not something to be tampered with. People carelessly get tattoos without thinking about the importance of their bodies. It's not right to damage the nature of our skin for the sake of a memory. If someone wants something to be a part of them forever, there are other ways to do that that are less painful, risky, and, well, more attractive. Why damage your skin permanently with the name of someone when you can wear a necklace with their name? Or carry a picture of them? Additionally, why have that person or thing permanently sewn into your skin when they will always be permanently sewn into your heart?

The answer: Don't. There are other ways to show your love other than damaging your skin with tattoos.

Secondly, tattoos can be very unattractive. I have seen people completely covered with tattoos, and no offense, but it isn't exactly pleasing to the eye. Why would someone want to ruin their skin like that? Just for a memory? Just to look "cool?" There are other ways to remember someone/something, and tattoos are far from "cool."

Thirdly, getting a tattoo is risky. When people get a tattoo, they might ask: "Should I do this?" "Will I regret it?" "Maybe I should/shouldn't because..." Now obviously when they get the tattoo they have ignored these questions. But that's the problem: people don't know if they will regret it or not, and they end up finding out when it's too late. (And I think we all know that tattoo removal is a very painful process). Also, when someone gets a tattoo, it comes with the risk of reactions with the skin like redness, warmth, a pus-like drain, allergic reactions. Granulomas, etc. People shouldn't risk these things just for the sake of having a tattoo.

Lastly, I would like to address the purpose of people getting a tattoo to express themselves and their individuality. A tattoo will do nothing but damage the nature and beauty that is skin. If people want to show that they are serious and dedicated to their unique personalities, they can achieve this in ways that are less risky, unattractive, and painful. They can paint, write, sing, dance, wear their own art (like a T-shirt or other clothing types), etc. Therefore, tattoos are not necessary to express one's uniqueness.

In conclusion, I believe that tattoos are unnecessary due to the fact that they come with too many risks, there are alternatives that meet the need for a tattoo, and they can be very unattractive.

(1) http://health.howstuffworks.com...
(2) http://www.fda.gov...

Good luck to Con.
Themoderate

Con

You're very welcome and many thanks to PRO for instigating this debate.

I would like to start off saying that art has no true definition since it is very complex. Art is something that varies a lot. Either it be drawing a beautiful picture of a sunset, writing poetry, composing music, animation, film, tattoos, and many people consider debate art because it's a form of expression and a skill.

What Are Tattoos?

A tattoo is a form of body modification, made by inserting indelible ink into the dermis layer of the skin to change the pigment. Tattoos are currently common in today's society as a form of self expression, skin art, a period in their life where they want to remember, memory of a loved one, military showing patriotism, and religious reasons such the face of Jesus Christ, the face of Mary, and the Holy Cross. Tattoos are widely considered a form of art by many critics in society and overtime they have gotten more popular.

Source: https://www.google.com...

Source 2:https://www.google.com...

My Arguments

I believe everyone has the right to express themselves in the many ways people do such as I listed above. Tattoos, I believe happen to be an expression of art and no one should discourage them from doing so. I believe as it is their body, their life, their free will, their responsibility, and their choice, it should be up to the person of the legal age to get one. Tattoos can mean a lot to someone. It can bring back good memories, and can be very therapeutic.

Source: https://www.google.com...

Many people would rather have a picture, or a name on their body at all times instead of a necklace picture to carry since it is on their body, it's a part of them forever so they can always express the love, appreciation, and affection that person has for the tattoo of their choosing. Tattoos can have a lot of meaning and I don't believe the tattoo(s) the person gets is unnecessary because it has a lot of meaning to them and they wanted it on them for a reason. They feel it is a part of their personality and they have the right to show their gratitude for the deep meaning they carry with them. In fact, many people find tattoos very attractive. Everyone has different tastes in what they like and if it makes them happy I believe they should be granted that. Tattoos, like I have stated many times are for a lot of reasons. As our bodies, being a temple, getting a tattoo of someone or something on your body forever is showing that the love and appreciation you have is deep. Many people get tattoos of a lost spouse so they can be on their body forever and feel like their with them

Source: http://youtu.be...

Rebuttals

PRO’S thoughts will be shown in Courier New and mine will be shown in Bold.

“I would like to start off by reminding everyone that tattoos are permanent” -As many people believe they are, you can actually get a tattoo removed, or have it tattooed over

Source: http://www.google.com...

People carelessly get tattoos without thinking about the importance of their bodies.”-Granted, but you generalizing. SOME people do get careless tattoos but many people think about the tattoo they want for a long period of time. I wanted a tattoo 2 years ago and I still want the same tattoo after a long thought period. Also, that’s why minors in most states cannot get tattoos because their not an adult, and their judgement and maturity level is not high. If they want a tattoo, a parent has to consent to it.

“Secondly, tattoos can be very unattractive. I have seen people completely covered with tattoos, and no offense, but it isn't exactly pleasing to the eye.”-This is your opinion. Like I have stated before, many people find SOME tattoos attractive.

Source: https://www.google.com...

When people get a tattoo, they might ask: "Should I do this?" "Will I regret it?"-That is why it is recommended that people think about for a long period of time. Also, that is again why minors cannot get tattoos.

“Now obviously when they get the tattoo they have ignored these questions”-That is a generalized statement. Many people think about it and some don’t. But then again, it is not our body so why should we bother/care?

Closing Statements For This Round.

I do not see tattoos as being unnecessary. I see it as a form of art, expression and a personal choice. If the person chooses to get a tattoo, grow the pain, and get something on their body that was intended to last forever, I see no problem as it is their body and their choice. Many people want them for the reasons why I have listed. If people think it is unnecessary, then do not get one. I feel as it is not my place to tell people what to get on their body, and not what to get. With their personal freedom, comes with personal responsibility and if they end up disliking it, that is their fault. I think I have made this clear throughout this debate round. I would like to thank PRO for instigating this debate and hope to hear back.

Sandy8

Pro

Thank you, Con, for your argument.

I would like to point out that I am not denying anyone their desire or right to get a tattoo, I am merely stating why tattoos are unnecessary. I understand they are pleasing to some people, and I'm not telling people not to get them, I am just arguing that they are unnecessary.

"I believe as it is their body, their life, their free will, their responsibility, and their choice, it should be up to the person of the legal age to get one."
I do as well, but this was not my point (as I mentioned above). My point was that the tattoos are unnecessary.

"Many people would rather have a picture, or a name on their body at all times instead of a necklace picture to carry since it is on their body, it's a part of them forever so they can always express the love, appreciation, and affection that person has for the tattoo of their choosing."
They can, but that doesn't mean they should. Like I said, there are alternatives that make tattoos unnecessary. Also, they can still carry the memory of that person in their hearts, which allows them to both permanently keep the memory and keep their skin beautiful. What you are implying is that they are desirable, but I am saying that they are unnecessary, which are two different things.

"They feel it is a part of their personality and they have the right to show their gratitude for the deep meaning they carry with them."
I agree, they have the right to show their gratitude, but like I said, there are alternatives.

"you can actually get a tattoo removed, or have it tattooed over"
Again, that is very painful, and the only reason someone would do that is because either (a) they regret it or (b) they don't want to go through the pain to remove it so they have it tattooed over.

"This is your opinion. Like I have stated before, many people find SOME tattoos attractive. "
I admit, I used a wrong choice of words there.

"I see it as a form of art, expression and a personal choice. If the person chooses to get a tattoo, grow the pain, and get something on their body that was intended to last forever, I see no problem as it is their body and their choice."
As do I, but as I have said numerous times: desirable, but unnecessary.

In conclusion, tattoos are unnecessary because there are other numerous alternatives. I am not saying people do not have the right to get one, but getting one is unnecessary.

Good luck to Con.
Themoderate

Con

Again, many thanks to PRO for instigating this debate.

The definition of unnecessary: Not Needed.

Rebuttals

Again, PROS thoughts will be shown in Courier View and mine will be shown in Bold.

“I do as well, but this was not my point (as I mentioned above). My point was that the tattoos are unnecessary.”-You stated that our bodies should not be tampered with, and by saying tattoos are unnecessary, you’re saying people do not need tattoos, or that’s at least how you intended it to be. It also contradicts your idea for an alternative defense and your statement saying:“The answer: Don't. There are other ways to show your love other than damaging your skin with tattoos.”

“Again, that is very painful, and the only reason someone would do that is because either (a) they regret it or (b) they don't want to go through the pain to remove it so they have it tattooed over.” -They have a tattoo removal gel that you rub onto to your skin and fades it. It also FDA approved. No pain was mentioned in either of these.

Source: http://www.google.com...

Source 2: http://www.google.com...

My Arguments

Yes, there is many different ways to express yourself. But tattoos to a lot of people are necessary for the simple reason: Expression and art. Tattoo designs can be very beautiful, peaceful, creative and people would like that on their body to show expression. Tattoos are not everyone, and it still remains that way. Tattoos are often considered trash, unprofessional, and that’s what starts the “You will never get a job” saying kicks off. Well, I will debunk that by using my source. Being a Doctor is a professional job, and pays quite a lot of money. In today's society tattoos are becoming more, and more popular. I will also state again, getting something permanently on your body is showing true love. If people look so down on it, again don't look at it, or just be thankful it was not you. I have more than explained why tattoos are very popular and very meaningful. Also, many cultures and tribes tattoo as a part of their religious beliefs, love, tribe you belong to, and amulets. Tattoos are a personal choice, and what you believe you want on your body. The importance is the meaning you want on it. Having tattoos that you will have forever obviously, mean they have a special memory, special meaning, part of you, or just something you think would look beautiful on you. Art is a very beautiful thing and art is very complex. By having on you are expressing a part of your personality that in someway defines you and can show your character. If I saw someone with a tattoo of a snake, I would think: "That person must like snakes". It shows a part of your personality and your uniqueness. Many people yes, do express themselves in different ways, but getting something on your body and skin shows that you truly meant to get that and has it a value to you (most of the time anyway). You are entitled to have an opinion, but I think tattoos are necessary for self expression.

Closing statements

My opponent believes tattoos are unnecessary. She has the right to her opinion, and as do I but this a debate. I have provided evidence, sources, and reasons why tattoos are necessary. Tattoos are considered very deep, emotional, meaningful, sacred, (if you have a religious tattoo), something you want to be a part forever on your body. I think if it does have that much meaning to you, it should be your choice to make. If you want to express yourself without a tattoo, then you can do that too. You can dye your hair, dress a certain way, draw, write music, write books, debate, and so on. But tattoos are necessary for the tattoo that has deep meaning. I want to again thank PRO very, very much for replying back to this debate. I wish her and the best of luck. Thank you very much.

Source: http://www.thetattooedengineer.com...

Sandy8

Pro

You are very welcome, and thank you for your argument.

Arguments:
I should have been more clear in the title and first argument, I apologize. I respect people's desire for a tattoo, I am not telling them that they can't get it, I am defending my position on why I believe they are unnecessary. There are many alternatives to getting a tattoo. If there are alternatives, then tattoos are not necessary, only desirable. If people think that the only way to express themselves and show dedication is by getting a tattoo, then that is a bit extreme, isn't it? They would be limiting their expression. If they truly love something and want it to be a part of their body for eternity just to show their love for it, then why don't they sew it on their clothes (hopefully they have clothes on), or express their love and passion in other ways? Now I understand if a tattoo is part of a culture or religion, therefore they are required to get one, but if it is just for self expression and individuality, then it is not necessary, only desirable.
Also, it is a part of them forever if it is in their hearts, is it not? As long as they keep their personality and individuality and stand by it, there is no need for a tattoo, only a desire.
Additionally, tattoos (and removal) can be very expensive. Now you might argue: if they love the person/thing so much, then the money is worth it. But why? Like I said, there are alternatives, cheaper alternatives I might add. Again, desirable, but not necessary.

Rebuttals:

"It also contradicts your idea for an alternative defense and your statement saying:'The answer: Don't. There are other ways to show your love other than damaging your skin with tattoos.'"
When I said that, I was stating the reason why I believe that they are unnecessary. I am sorry, I misused my words there. What I meant to say was that there are alternatives to damaging your skin just to show your love for something.

"They have a tattoo removal gel that you rub onto to your skin and fades it. It also FDA approved. No pain was mentioned in either of these."
Yes, neither of them mention pain, but neither of them say they are painless, either. If it was painful, of course they wouldn't say so, but if it was painless, they would be more than happy to notify the consumer of that, but they did not. Also, in your source http://www.etsy.com... , it comes with many, many possible risks if you read the "Legal Disclaimer." So when someone gets a tattoo, they are already risking so much, but then when they want it removed, they risk even more. Why go through the hassle when there are alternatives?

"Tattoo designs can be very beautiful, peaceful, creative and people would like that on their body to show expression."
Like I have said numerous times: alternatives. (and if they want to show it in public, they can make their own clothing items, accessories, etc.)

"I have more than explained why tattoos are very popular and very meaningful."
Popular and meaningful are different from necessary.
Necessary- beingessential,indispensable,orrequisite
Source: http://dictionary.reference.com...
Like I said numerous times, a tattoo is not essential, it is desirable.

"Also, many cultures and tribes tattoo as a part of their religious beliefs, love, tribe you belong to, and amulets."
I respect that.

"She has the right to her opinion, and as do I but this a debate."
Definition of "debate": adiscussion,asofapublicquestioninanassembly,involving opposingviewpoints
My viewpoint is that tattoos are unnecessary, yours is that they are. This is irrelevant.

"I have provided evidence, sources, and reasons why tattoos are necessary."
My evidence: the risks and dangers of getting a tattoo and why it is unnecessary.
My sources were in my first argument. (Not to mention I have disproved one of my opponent's sources)
My reasons: there are alternatives and tattoos come with many risks.

"But tattoos are necessary for the tattoo that has deep meaning."
That makes is desirable, not necessary. There are other ways to show deep meanings for things.

In conclusion, tattoos are unnecessary due to the fact that there are alternatives that do not come with the heavy amounts of risks and expenses that a tattoo comes with. If people want a tattoo to show their passion for something, that only makes a tattoo desirable, not necessary, because there are other ways.

As this is the last and final round, I would like to give many thanks to my opponent for his time spent. Thank you for a lovely debate, and good luck with your final argument.
Themoderate

Con

Many thanks to PRO for instigating this debate.

Arguments

Like I have stated before, there are tons and tons of ways you can express yourself. Tattoo's just happen to be a quite popular one. When you say "limiting their expression" is not always the case. You have people that have tattoos that draw, that make their own shirts, have a certain dress style, sew, wear necklaces, rings, watches, and so on. Many people express themselves at the same time using many different things so it would be unfair to make that statement. You have also stated that "the people who think tattoos are the only ways to express themselves is extreme". Well, we do not personally know that person and it is not our place to assume that is the only way they're expressing themselves. From the sounds of it, you are thinking of limiting people's expression by saying they SHOULD sew it onto their clothing and so on. I feel it would be best if people could express themselves on whatever makes the individual feels the most comfortable doing. Also, many people would much rather have something that literally is shown that they have in their heart, and memory. When they are thinking about whatever it is they had tattooed on them, they can simply just look at the tattoo and feel good instead of using their memory. It is a part of them forever, as long as they're on this earth. I think it is necessary if the person feels it is right for the reasons of getting it. Also, my opponent has chosen a very poor choice of words. She keeps using the word "desirable". The definition of desirable: Wanted or wished for as being an attractive, useful, or necessary course of action.
So yes, tattoos are indeed desirable, and necessary when the individual wants them.

Source: s://lh6.googleusercontent.com...; alt="" width="800px;" height="329px;" />

Rebuttals

PRO’S again will be shown in Courier New and mine will be shown in Bold.

“When I said that, I was stating the reason why I believe that they are unnecessary. I am sorry, I misused my words there. What I meant to say was that there are alternatives to damaging your skin just to show your love for something.”-PRO should have worded it differently so it would be clear and would not contradict what she was saying.

“My viewpoint is that tattoos are unnecessary, yours is that they are. irrelevant.” -Indeed it is relevant, because if my viewpoint was irrelevant, why would we be debating why tattoos are necessary and unnecessary?

“That makes is desirable, not necessary. There are other ways to show deep meanings for things.”-I have shown you the definition and source for the word “desirable”

"Yes, neither of them mention pain, but neither of them say they are painless, either. If it was painful, of course they wouldn't say so, but if it was painless, they would be more than happy to notify the consumer of that, but they did not. Also, in your source http://www.etsy.com...... , it comes with many, many possible risks if you read the "Legal Disclaimer." So when someone gets a tattoo, they are already risking so much, but then when they want it removed, they risk even more. Why go through the hassle when there are alternatives?"-There is other options for painless tattoo removals. I have provided the source which it states "We have the tools and technology to painlessly to remove tattoos when they're no longer wanted.

Source:https://www.google.com...

“Like I have said numerous times: alternatives. (and if they want to show it in public, they can make their own clothing items, accessories, etc.)”-By not wanting to limit people’s ways to express themselves by saying that, you are discouraging tattoos and saying “there are others ways to express yourself by getting tattoos. So that is limiting one’s right to choose on what way they want to express themselves.

Summary

My opponent thinks tattoos are unnecessary. My opponent from the start should have been more specific throughout this debate by what defining what is "unnecessary" about tattoos. Either it be just a little tattoo, sleeve tattoos, neck tattoos, tattoos on people's faces, or just all tattoos in general. Most of society sees tattoos as interesting, art, self expression, and unique. If she had been more specific on what is "unnecessary" as by either having sleeves and face tattoos most people do in fact find that unnecessary, but most people do find tattoos necessary and the percentage is growing each year.

Source: https://www.google.com...

In conclusion of this final round, I believe why I have proved why tattoos are necessary to the people that feel that it is to the people that want them. I will list them again: Memories, loss of a loved one, religious reasons, tribes, cultures, art, and self expressions. I think I have debated, brought good points, and why tattoos are again necessary to the person that feels that way. People don't NEED tattoos, but if they feel the need for the necessary reason then yes, it is. My opponent sees them just as plainly as unnecessary, but everyone has the right to express themselves, do what they can freely do with their own bodies, and do what they feel is best to keep a memory or expression. They should be limited on what they can do to express themselves. Yes, actions do speak louder than words but self expression and feeling comfortable in your own skin with a tattoo can bring that out in someone and I feel they have that right to do so. This has been a very interesting debate, I would again, like to thank PRO very, very much for this interesting debate. I also believe I provided the appropriate sources, evidence, points, and reasons why people feel them to be necessary. I just wish my opponent could have been more specific on what she meant by "unnecessary" I again thank PRO for this time consuming debate. I also give her recognition on performing a great debate. Again, thank you and best of luck.

Posted by wordy 3 years ago
wordy
I think I understand the problem behind this whole arguement. It's the word "Unnecessary". Unnecessary compared to what? Are they necessary for survival, acceptance, happiness, expression, culture? What exactly are we referring to here when we call them necessary or not? It all depends on the topic. Are they necessary when compared to food, water, and oxygen? Of course not. Are they necessary compared to jewelry, fancy clothes,and piercings? Well yes considering they are part of the same category. Some tribes in different cultures are required to get a tattoo of the tribe's symbol to show their loyalty to it. In order to join the tribe tattoos would be necessary in that situation. Some people have sentimental tattoos in honor of a person or thing they love. In order for them to feel more connected to that person/thing it would be necessary. Unnecessary meaning useless. Some tattoos are useless, some are not. I have nothing against tattoos.I think everyone has every right to get them. Tattoo your whole body green if you want to, I couldn't care less. Your body, your choice. I even plan on getting one in honor of something very important to me when I'm older. But whether they are unnecessary or not all depends on the subject.
Posted by wordy 3 years ago
wordy
Especially because in a lot of cultures tattoos carry deeper meanings than they do to most other modern people.Tattoos are culturally highly important to Cambodian monks, some New Guinea tribes, etc
Posted by MoonGazer 3 years ago
MoonGazer
Yes, you could say that tattoo's are unnecessary, but you could also say the same about earrings, belly bars, other piercings and piercing that go under the skin, but they are their for their ornamental value. Earrings, other piercings and tattoos can sometimes enhance your appearance as well depending on your sub-culture, so are they totally unnecessary in that respect?
It is also the persons choice, small tattoo's are okay, but I think too many tattoos do look horrific, and I personally don't like them. But hey, I don't have to grow old with them!
Posted by sweetbreeze 3 years ago
sweetbreeze
Anyway, could somebody counter PatriotPerson?
Posted by sweetbreeze 3 years ago
sweetbreeze
Can someone vote for Sandy for once? I'm sick and tired now.
Posted by DeFool 3 years ago
DeFool
In R1, the parameters of the debate were set:

"Tattoos are uneccesary."

The scope of this contest were set so wide, that I felt that almost any example of any need for a tattoo would effectively challenge the resolution. (Medical, ID, animal marking, etc.) CON did not explore these uses of tattooing, but was able to require a number of concessions and modifications throughout the course of the debate.

As PRO largely struggled to defend an overbroad position, I awarded arguments to CON.

PRO presented a clear and easy to follow argument, which made her case very easy to understand. This, combined with a number of S&G errors by CON requires the S&G score.
Posted by sweetbreeze 3 years ago
sweetbreeze
Who did you agree with before the debate? Pro
Who did you agree with after the debate? Pro
Who had better conduct? Tied
Who had better spelling and grammar? Tied
Who made more convincing arguments? Pro
Who used the most reliable sources? Con

3 points to Pro.
Posted by NoVowel 3 years ago
NoVowel
Tattoos are a right of passage in some cultures... and a mark of identity in others. To limit your thinking to just the U.S. culture is a mistake.
- " In New Guinea, a swirl of tattoos on a Tofi woman"s face indicates her family lineage."
- "The dark scrawls on a Cambodian monk"s chest reflect his religious beliefs

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com...

Our U.S. culture is a "disposable" culture where many are taken aback by the permanence of tattoos.

Posted by nicole123 3 years ago
nicole123
I agree that tattoos should be looked down upon. They are not professional in anyway unless you are a tattoo "artist" and I've seen my share of horrible tattoos on people. Try having a tattoo on your face, all over your arms, and wherever else and get a job at somewhere other than McDonalds, good luck with that.
Posted by Sandy8 3 years ago
Sandy8
Thank you @sweetbreeze for the motivation. :)
Vote Placed by MrJosh 3 years ago
MrJosh
Sandy8ThemoderateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Arguments to CON because PRO didn't actually argue her stated position.
Vote Placed by PatriotPerson 3 years ago
PatriotPerson
Sandy8ThemoderateTied
Reasons for voting decision: Voted.
Vote Placed by InVinoVeritas 3 years ago
InVinoVeritas
Sandy8ThemoderateTied
Reasons for voting decision: All Con had to do was give any case in which a tattoo would be "necessary." Instead, desirability and self-expression were emphasized, and Con's arguments went in the wrong direction. Sandy8 decided to use establish a very vague and broad resolution, but fortunately for her, it was not challenged head-on here. Therefore, arguments for Pro.
Vote Placed by DeFool 3 years ago
DeFool
Sandy8ThemoderateTied
Reasons for voting decision: See Comments.