Stupidape
prossnip42

Tax Exemptions for Religious Institutions.

prossnip42 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Stupidape

Con

I will contend against tax exemptions for religious institutions.

My opponent will contend for tax exemptions for religious institutions.

Burden of proof will be equally shared.

Definitions will be common definitions unless otherwise expressed and agreed upon.

Structure
Round one acceptance and definitions
Round two arguments, don't respond to your opponent's arguments yet.
Round three rebuttals respond directly to your opponent's round two.
Round four defense respond directly to your opponent's round three.

Thanks in advance for accepting.

prossnip42

Pro

I accept your open challenge
Stupidape

Con

Round two arguments

Outline

I. Everyone disagrees with at least one religion.
II. Religion tends to be partisan
III. Tax exemptions take money from the poor.
IV. Sources

If your a Christian, you probably disagree with Scientology, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and at least one branch of Christianity, Mormon, Catholic, and/or Protestant. The reverse is also true, if your a Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, or Jew you probably don't want Christians to get a tax break.

"the Internal Revenue Service granted tax exemptions to Scientology organizations again in 1993." [0]

We can't just give tax exempt status to the religion we see as the best religion. We must give the exemption to all or none.

II. Religion tends to be partisan

I will tell a brief personal testimony about going to church. I found the church to have overt conservative partisan bias. Misogynist remarks were made by the leader. "God loves woman, but he loves men more." source church leader

The same goes with a strong stance against abortion and socialism. I've found that I am hardly alone.

"Think about the sets of issues that are often at the core of the identity of the working-class folks who elected Trump: religion, personal liberty's relationship with government, gender, marriage, sexuality, prenatal life and gun rights." [1]

A major part of Donald Trump victory in November 2016 was due to Christianity. More and more the conservative party has aligned itself with Christianity and Christianity with the conservative party.

Note, other religions tend to sway towards conservative values by preaching traditional gender roles.

"They are conservative, believe in hard work, family, the military and cops, and they know that abortion and socialism are evil, that Jesus Christ is our savior, and that Donald J. Trump will be good for America.

They are part of a growing movement in rural America that immerses many young people in a culture — not just conservative news outlets but also home and church environments — that emphasizes contemporary conservative values. It views liberals as loathsome, misinformed and weak, even dangerous." [2]

Churches are effectively breeding grounds for conservative values. Since it is common knowledge that most of the USA is Christian it is time for liberals to take a stand. Time to demand an even playing field by removing religious institutions' tax exempt status.

The basic theory of economics is that resources are finite. Religious institutions literally often take prime real estate. Prime real estate without paying the full price. This means the poor and middle class have to take up the slack.

"The property taxes they aren’t paying have to be drawn from business owners and private citizens — in a real sense, you and I are subsidizing Mormon temples, Muslims mosques, Methodist churches." [3]

IV. Sources
0. http://www.snopes.com...
1. https://www.adn.com...
2. http://www.nytimes.com...
3. http://time.com...
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 1 year ago
FollowerofChrist1955
You should attend this debate:
Atheism- A lost reality! A hopeless, helpless cause!