DevinKing
DeUcEs

Taxes Are Stealing

DevinKing

Con

--I will be arguing that taxes are not stealing. I thank my opponent, whom ever it may be, for accepting in advance.

--The following definitions will be used:

Taxes: A fee charged (\levied\) by a government on a product, income, or activity.

www.investorwords.com/4879/tax.html

Stealing: 1a : to take or appropriate without right or leave and with intent to keep or make use of wrongfully

http://www.merriam-webster.com...
DeUcEs

Pro

Hello Devin. Good luck in the debate.
I don't know that I can necessarily agree with you. At first I figured it was a no brainer, how could taxes be considered stealing on the governments party. However, after thinking about it for a moment I have come to the conclusion that I can at least briefly argue this point. In my opinion according to your definition even taxes can be considered theft by the government. According to the last part of your provided definition "with intent to keep or make use of wrongfully." It is my opinion that our tax money is in a lot of cases being used wrongly. For instance, there are a lot of people out there that are hooked on drugs and sponging off of the government to live, rather than trying to make an effort to sober up and be a productive member of society. Also, jails and prisons. I feel that since we are spending all of this money on having these inmates in jails and prisons that we should at the very least make a better effort to rehabilitate them, so that when they are released there is a greater chance of them not returning to the facilities. This will conclude my first portion of the argument.
DevinKing

Con

--Thank you for accepting this debate. Good luck.

--I will begin with my rebuttal to the points you have brought up.

"For instance, there are a lot of people out there that are hooked on drugs and sponging off of the government to live, rather than trying to make an effort to sober up and be a productive member of society."

--While this is an unpleasent side effect of the system of welfare, it is not the Government's intent to allow freeloaders to "sponge" off of the system. This would go against their interests. If you look at the definition again, you will see that it is necessary to establish intent to do wrong in order to argue this side of the issue.

"Also, jails and prisons. I feel that since we are spending all of this money on having these inmates in jails and prisons that we should at the very least make a better effort to rehabilitate them, so that when they are released there is a greater chance of them not returning to the facilities."

--Jails and prisons keep a large percentage of criminals off of the streets. Although a rehabilitation program would do *more* good, it is not needed. A rehabilitation program would also cost even more taxpayer money.

--I would argue that paying taxes is no more being stolen from then paying rent. If you do not like the fact that you have to pay it then move.
DeUcEs

Pro

DeUcEs forfeited this round.
DevinKing

Con

I will be awaiting your rebuttal.
DeUcEs

Pro

DeUcEs forfeited this round.
DevinKing

Con

This is the last round and I certainly hope that my opponent will be able to make their closing remarks.
DeUcEs

Pro

DeUcEs forfeited this round.