Grey1028
STAGIESTCOSINE

Teachers Follow Dress Code along with Students

STAGIESTCOSINE

Grey1028

Pro

I am new to Debate, and I have an argument thats been on my mind for a year now. I am in elementary school still, and about a year ago, a dress code was integrated for students and students only. But for staff members, they act like nothing ever happened and nothing ever interfered with clothing.

I'm here to tell you about why teachers should follow a dress-code policy along with students, instead of students wearing dull, Navy Blue & White clothing while teachers wear multi-coloured clothing, tiger-striped clothing, comfortable sweaters, etc. But meanwhile that is going on, students can only wear Navy Blue & White Oxford Shirts, Polo Shirts, Skirts & Skorts, No Jeans.

It isn't fair that teachers walk around showing off who they are wearing their clothing while they expect students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade Eight to wear cruddy, dull clothing. It became so much to the school that people are shocked if a student has permission to wear free-clothing for a period of time. The staff say that it saves time to get ready for school instead of spending 10 minutes trying to figure out what you're going to wear. To tell you the truth, that is false.

Not ONE time in my school have I ever heard a reasoning of being late with an answer of "I wanted to try and look nice with awesome looking clothing." Not one time.

Teachers even make a statement that "it makes it less-distracting for children and makes them focus more on their work". No it does not. What it actually does is increase distractions, because it's shocking to children to see a piece of clothing not apart of the dress-code policy being worn by a different person. It makes them feel angry & upset that they can freely wear whatever they wish, while at the same time, they are stuck in picked-clothing by the staff members. It distracts them and makes them think about how unfair it is, and they could spend a whole 3 hours not doing work complaining inside he/she's head about it, not getting any work completed. A student would rather want to express himself/herself by showing her true personality.

If there was a teacher-dress code that followed the same concept as a student dress code, it would make everybody feel more comfortable in the environment they are in, especially students, because they have to no longer worry about "so and so not wearing dress code" and "this isn't fair". It shows that the school really cares about everybody, and wants to show that they truly are a member of the school. It enhances everybody's lives.

A teacher this year had put a poster on his wall. The sign had read "It doesn't matter what you wore 30 years ago. What matters is what you've learnt, and how you've used it." The teacher has ben asked MANY times "Why do staff dress freely and we can't?" and he states "Because I'm an adult, and you're a child." To be honest, that doesn't compile with what he was talking about on the poster. If it doesn't matter, why should you care then about having a dress-code for teachers?

A student dress-code takes away the rights of that person, to show who they really are by expressing themselves. It teaches children that everybody needs to be equal, and doesn't state the fact that really, everybody is different. It shows that the people that integrated the dress code want students to think everybody has to be the same. It's basically giving all the children's rights to the teacher.

Now, teachers have the ability to give permission to a specific person or group of people to undress from dress-code and wear whatever they wish. For example, during my phys-ed time, I was given permission to undress from uniform. I went out of the gymnasium to get a drink, and children were in single file with frowned faces because they knew and saw I wasn't in dress code. I even heard them whispering. They were hurt and wouldn't stop talking about it.

About bullying. Apparently, a standardized dress-code decreases the chance of bullying. Sure it does, but not really. Bullies can easily find another way to bully their targets, even dressed in uniform. Uniforms don't solve bullying issues, it can only make it continue. For example, another school is near us that does not follow a dress-code policy, but we do. They usually come here and tease the children that they have to wear uniform and the bullies don't. They tease them that they can't express themselves, and become real show-offs, because the dress-coded children are angry that the person showing off the clothing can wear it, and teachers don't care since they are not from the school with the dress-code. Uniforms can only make it worse.

Teachers do the same thing really, except they only become show-offs. It's a sickening thing, and the integrators of the student dress-code don't care one bit about it. That is why I made this argument, because my voice can't be heard. I really want this shown to the school board that integrated this, but who am I kidding, they will not even bother, because they will continue it and ignore the Cons of a uniform.

I hope you understand my message.
STAGIESTCOSINE

Con

I hope you're well.

I do not expect to win this debate due to the sheer volume of students who frequent this site - of which many will be emotionally invested in the topic.

I'll begin by saying as a minor I had the same concerns as yourself, however now, as an old codger, I kind of get it.

I will assume the role of devils advocate. I will list my first round arguments now and save my rebuttals for later. Goodluck!

1) A dress code may stifle an individuals freedom of expression but, it could be argued, uniform clothing facilitates a sense of group identity, comradeship and affiliation, while simultaneously reducing the tendency of cliques to form which are dependendant on individual clothing styles.

1b) Dress codes are normal for institutions (military, police, fireservice, law courts etc), it fosters a bond which metorphorically represents an ethos or common goal.

1c) The school establishment is an educational institute. A common dress code is a school's identity brand. In the eyes of the school it is the duty of the pupil to dress a certain way to promote their place of education. However, this only works if you conduct yourself in the correct manner - conversley, should a pupil misbehave in the community during school hours a member of the public can identify the misruly student by their attir and contact the school.

2) School is a place of learning. A students preoccupation should be study, not fashion. There is ample time outside of school to demonstrate how trendy (or not) you may be. Besides, this is a very superficial concern.

3) School children can be cruel - they'll always find a victim and reason to bully. However, restrictions on clothing limit the bully's reasons to bully by a factor of one.

4) The willingness to conform, or abide by an enforced dress code, instills a certain level of discipline which is potentially conducive to the learning environment.

5) Ultimately, teachers are not students. A uniform creates an 'us an them' mentality - a healthy seperation intended to aid subservience and stifle the contempt of familiarity - an example of this is the military: enlisted soldiers wear a set emblems to denote rank, these rank slides are independent of those worn by commissioned officers. Though it may be a crude anology, the students are the 'enlistees' (producers, workers) while the teachers are the commissioned officers (directing, ordering, faciltating, managing, providing welfare support etc)

Well, that's it for my opening arguments. I'm looking forward to your rebutals.
Grey1028

Pro

Grey1028 forfeited this round.
STAGIESTCOSINE

Con

I extend my arguments..
Grey1028

Pro

Grey1028 forfeited this round.
STAGIESTCOSINE

Con

Pro forfeited, very unfulfilling debate.
Vote Placed by KingDebater 3 years ago
KingDebater
Grey1028STAGIESTCOSINETied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Anon_Y_Mous 3 years ago
Anon_Y_Mous
Grey1028STAGIESTCOSINETied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.