Sydn3y
joshuaXlawyer

Teachers Should Be Able to Be in Contact with Students Out of School

joshuaXlawyer

Sydn3y

Pro

My school district is making it a rule that students and teachers cannot be in any kind of contact out of school. I completely disagree with this.

Adding students on Facebook is in my opinion fine, but only if the employee has a Facebook account solely for students and school. The teachers can have a personal account for friends and family, but they should also have an account that says "Mr./Mrs.______" where students can add them.

Texting students is a little bit more iffy, but if the conduct is appropriate, it's okay. For sports teams, texting students can be very crucial if the practice times change. My phone's internet cost money, so if my sports coach was to e-mail me about practice after school, I wouldn't get it. Plus, I barely check my e-mail, but I have unlimited texting, so texting is a much more effective method of communtication.

E-mailing students is completely fine. I constantly e-mail teachers about assignments that I missed or questions about homework. My state has a Home Access Center, where you can log on and check what assignments you've missed. Instead of waiting to come to school, you can e-mail teachers about what assignments you need, saving time.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

---My Case---

"My school district is making it a rule that students and teachers cannot be in any kind of contact out of school. I completely disagree with this."

Why I completely agree with this, because however it maybe teachers have no reason for school activities to contact the child directly and this is because of incidents with teachers and students that were "out of conduct".
This is also for the sole purpose to protect teachers from parents misinterpreting their relationship with their child as people might interpret a friendship as more.
As well this is also to protect the child, from a teacher that could possibly be a pedophile or more likely to say become one with their student.

Now I will go to my opponents case....
---Opponents Case---

"Adding students on Facebook is in my opinion fine, but only if the employee has a Facebook account solely for students and school. The teachers can have a personal account for friends and family, but they should also have an account that says "Mr./Mrs.______" where students can add them."

"Texting students is a little bit more iffy, but if the conduct is appropriate, it's okay. For sports teams, texting students can be very crucial if the practice times change. My phone's internet cost money, so if my sports coach was to e-mail me about practice after school, I wouldn't get it. Plus, I barely check my e-mail, but I have unlimited texting, so texting is a much more effective method of communtication."

"E-mailing students is completely fine. I constantly e-mail teachers about assignments that I missed or questions about homework. My state has a Home Access Center, where you can log on and check what assignments you've missed. Instead of waiting to come to school, you can e-mail teachers about what assignments you need, saving time."

As i have also stated there is no particular reason a teacher should contact a student directly, teachers should contact the legal guardians of the student for any of this as in practice changes, as well as trips etc.
So we can avoid the possible, out of conduct contact, and prevent the possible if we make the possible,impossible the theres no longer that risk of any of the following in my case to happen.
Teachers should contact the parents of the child and for these reasons, this applies to all her points there no particular good for a student directly when they can contact the parent which is even better for the parent can get updates on their child. As well as avoid all the bad legal matters i address:This is also for the sole purpose to protect teachers from parents misinterpreting their relationship with their child as people might interpret a friendship as more.
Therfore i urge you to vote Con
Sydn3y

Pro

"As I have also stated there is no particular reason a teacher should contact a student directly, teachers should contact the legal guardians of the student for any of this as in practice changes, as well as trips etc."
This was part of my opponents argument. While I can see their point, I still have to disagree.

You see, in high school, parents have less and less input with their kids. Why, you are basically an adult, if not already 18. Why is it a parent's responsibility to check with teachers if you're old enough to do it yourself? If I had a missing assignment, I would not run to my mom and ask her to e-mail the teacher. I would e-mail them myself. It's a lot less hassle. What is the difference between a concerned parent getting work and a concerned student getting work?
joshuaXlawyer

Con

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.
Sydn3y

Pro

Sydn3y forfeited this round.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

i already posted why .....

As well this is also to protect the child, from a teacher that could possibly be a pedophile or more likely to say become one with their student. which you did not address
Sydn3y

Pro

Sydn3y forfeited this round.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.
Sydn3y

Pro

Sydn3y forfeited this round.
joshuaXlawyer

Con

joshuaXlawyer forfeited this round.
Posted by joshuaXlawyer 6 years ago
joshuaXlawyer
I think i might debate this just for the heck of it, I agree with the pro in actuality but for the purpose of argumentation i will argue otherwise. By the way annhasle anything is debate-able but just because you debate it doesn't mean its true. I can argue the sky is green and the grass is blue and possibly convince people it is but this doesn't mean its true.
Posted by Woodycanuck 6 years ago
Woodycanuck
I might be interested in debating the actual content of the rule. I am skeptical that it's a blanket statement about all contact. Really, a teacher can't come to your house for dinner with you and your parents? If you see them in public, you can't stop and chat? Hmmm....

Pro, can you post the text of the policy?
Posted by annhasle 6 years ago
annhasle
"...but if the conduct is appropriate, it's okay."

That's what the entire debate will come down to. IF the conduct is appropriate, then it's fine. But what if it's not appropriate? Oh, well - then it's not okay....

This isn't debatable.
Vote Placed by joshuaXlawyer 6 years ago
joshuaXlawyer
Sydn3yjoshuaXlawyerTied