cassdwillz
chippsy666

Teachers should be able to have guns in school with the proper clearance.

chippsy666

cassdwillz

Pro

First Round is Acceptance.
I am Pro (Teachers should be able to have guns in school).
chippsy666

Con

I am against the position that teachers should be allowed guns in school with the proper clearance.
cassdwillz

Pro

There is one big reason that I believe is the main point.
For safety. There are so many school shootings that are happening all around and so safety is a big issue. It's not just enough to have a cop walking around the school.
I believe with the proper clearance that yes, teachers should be able to carry.
If someone were to come in and try to harm your children wouldn't you want the teacher to be able to save them, along with all of the other children's lives?
It is just like the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. If one of the teachers would have had a gun, then it could have been possible to save some, if not all, of the kid
chippsy666

Con

I laughed when I saw this debate question, because as a high school teacher myself in a rough school in Scotland, I can't imagine what it would be like if you gave the teachers guns. I do not see guns as a form of protection but as a weapon of violence.
In the U.K we do not have guns, only some of our police carry guns.

The kind of tight gun laws that came in over here after the 1996 Dunblane tragedy have made the country safer in general. 58 Murders a Year by Firearms in Britain, 8,775 in US.

Allowing teachers to carry guns in school will not necessarily make school safer. There is always the possibility of a gun being found by a student and used inappropriately, not to mention the fact that armed teachers who have taken a seminar or two are not trained officers; in a tense situation, they might make a fatal mistake.

We don't need more guns in schools. We need more empathy and compassion. We need to make dealing with mental health and keeping guns out of the hands of would-be criminals our main priorities in order to prevent these tragedies in the first place. Our first reaction shouldn't be to meet violence with violence.

"Guns, she was reminded then, were not for girls. They were for boys. They were invented by boys. They were invented by boys who had never gotten over their disappointment that accompanying their own orgasm there wasn't a big boom sound."
Lorrie Moore, Like Life

"The wounded were crying, and the rest were dying. Jack stood alone in a hallway of mangled men, who had been trained for this.""
Seth Tucker, Friedkin's Curse: A Werewolf Tale of Terror.

"You don"t need no gun control, you know what you need? We need some bullet control. Men, we need to control the bullets, that"s right. I think all bullets should cost five thousand dollars" five thousand dollars per bullet" You know why? Cause if a bullet cost five thousand dollars there would be no more innocent bystanders."
Chris Rock.
cassdwillz

Pro

cassdwillz forfeited this round.
chippsy666

Con

I rest my case.
Posted by ambivalentsoul 3 years ago
ambivalentsoul
Why would teachers need guns in school? I mean I can understand a LITTLE with all of the school shootings that have been happening lately, but seriously? Teachers shouldn't be able to just trot around school with guns because of that.
Posted by MysticEgg 3 years ago
MysticEgg
Damn it!
Posted by MysticEgg 3 years ago
MysticEgg
Could you clarify. Any teachers? All teachers? Any school?
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Alas, I strongly disagree, but am not accepting debates at this time.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
cassdwillzchippsy666Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument is just significantly better here. Pro provides no idea of what this training will look like, and no analysis of exactly how it will affect outcomes for kids. Con does both, adding in a number of warrants for why violence would increase in the presence of guns. Both sides could use some sources, but these are the best arguments in the debate by far. Con also gets conduct for the forfeit.