James.ticknor
Koopin

Teachers should be randomly drug tested in controlled amounts.

Koopin

James.ticknor

Pro

Police in Williamsburg, Pennsylvania arrested an elementary school teacher and seized 72 pounds of marijuana from her home. 52 year old Beth Camp was charged with intent to deliver and drug possession. The gross estimate of the total drugs was $350,000. School officials say that Beth has taught in the Williamsport School District for 25 years, and no one has ever realized that she had ever been involved with drugs. This report enlightens those with the false perception that any drug dealer can clearly be identified.

Due to a sharp inclination in drug trafficking in Huntington, it is absolutely imperative that we establish a solid foundation of learning for our young students. With the becoming of this bill, we can help aid in the safety of West Virginia's students.

First of all, students rely on the staff to protect them from all dangers, foreign and domestic. It is the faculty's duty to protect their children to the very best of their abilities, because anything else is simply unacceptable. We have to maintain a safe environment and ensure there are no dangers for our students.

Secondly, everyone should require drug testing. It really isn't fair, nor is it justified to single out students for drug testing. A teacher is just as susceptible to drugs as a teen, has more freedom to do so, and a better ability to hide it, because they practice independent living. So, why should students be the only ones who are required for drug testing?

Lastly, there is no disadvantage to require drug testing. It is only $6.00 for one drug test, so money isn't a issue, and what could be better than knowing that your teacher doesn't do drugs? But seriously, whether or not your teacher is found clean or a user, there is no disadvantage, because if they aren't, nothing changes and if they are, then they shouldn't be teaching impressionable children.

In conclusion, mandatory drug testing for teachers should be implemented. For the safety of our students, who are at the most impressionable stages in their lives. Leighann Lord once said, "Did you know America ranks the lowest in education, but the highest in drug use? It's nice to be number one, but we can fix that. All we need to do is start the war on education. If it's anywhere near as successful as our war on drugs, in no time we'll all be hooked on phonics.

(The introduction is a summary of an article. I did not plagarize, and even if I did, it's a story. It will happen the same way every time.)
Koopin

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this interesting debate. I hope that we can both learn from this. I also would like to thank the audience for reading this.

You claim that teachers should be forced into taking random drug test in order to stay employed. You believe that the testing will stop teachers from using drugs, and will cost very little. I fail to concur.

First, drug testing is an invasion of privacy. Take article I, section 7 of the Washington State Constitution. It states
‘No person shall be disturbed in his private affairs, or his home invaded, without authority of law.'
For this reason random drug testing was banned in Washington.
In the case of Treasury Employees v. Von Raabthe, the high court ruled that requiring employees to produce urine samples constituted a "search" within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution (which protects citizens against "unreasonable" searches and seizures). The Court also ruled that positive test results could not be used in subsequent criminal prosecutions without the employee's consent.
Secondly, drug test are not as cheap as you claim them to be. They can range from $30 a test to $100. There are also about 4 million teachers in the United States. Lets say that every teacher was tested once at $30 per test, that would be 120 million dollars. Also teachers would have to take the test repeatedly, costing tax payers millions.
Lastly, testing would not be as effective as you claim it would. There are many ways to beat a drug test, putting salt in urine, eat poppy seed bagels, drinking lots of water, ect… This is just a brief argument; I want to confirm that you will not forfeit your next argument before I go on.

(1). http://www.ehow.com...

(2.) http://www.leg.wa.gov...

(3). http://en.wikipedia.org...
James.ticknor

Pro

James.ticknor forfeited this round.
Koopin

Con

As I predicted, my opponent failed to post an argument for round two. Even though we have another round to go, I urge a con vote.

James.ticknor

Pro

James.ticknor forfeited this round.
Koopin

Con

My opponent has forfeited his last round. Please vote Con.

Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
oh, that's okay. I hope everything goes fine.
Posted by James.ticknor 7 years ago
James.ticknor
So sorry...family issues.
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
CON wins due to multiple forfeits.
Posted by James.ticknor 7 years ago
James.ticknor
heh, sorry about that I forgot i was in a debate. I'll post my next argument, I promise.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Are you going post your next argument?
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Before I start, let me say that I am in no way on drugs, lol.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
I may take this is no one else does, give me a few more minutes of research
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 7 years ago
Vi_Veri
James.ticknorKoopinTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
James.ticknorKoopinTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
James.ticknorKoopinTied