chrisjachimiak
dwcrabb

Teachers should be trained and allowed to use a firearm on campus.

chrisjachimiak
Started: 1/26/2015 Category: News

chrisjachimiak

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance and Definitions
Round 2: Constructive
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Rebuttals
Round 5: Reason for winning. No new arguments can be put into place here, unless refuting opponents arguments.

I will be pro on this debate.

Firearm: According to 26 U.S. Code " 5845 A firearm will be defined as:
(1) a shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
(2) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length;
(3) a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
(4) a weapon made from a rifle if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length;
(5) any other weapon, as defined in subsection (e);
(6) a machine-gun;
(7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code); and
(8) a destructive device. The term "firearm" shall not include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machine-gun or destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Secretary finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other characteristics is primarily a collector"s item and is not likely to be used as a weapon. [1]

The term trained will be defined as:
(1) Teach (a person or animal) a particular skill or type of behavior through practice and instruction over a period of time. [2]
(2) To point or aim something, typically a gun [2]

[1] http://www.law.cornell.edu...
[2] https://www.google.com...
dwcrabb

Con

Alright, Here goes, First off I would like to, for the sake of an easier debate, agree on the fact that maybe teachers or faculty at schools do not need some of those guns, as I feel they are too extreme, or at least need some clarification. Please clarify or revoke your definition of firearm on the following.

(6) a machine-gun;
(7) any silencer (as defined in section 921 of title 18, United States Code);

To me a machine gun is overdoing it, as to kill or at least incapacitate someone, few bullets are needed, and a silencer is downright NOT needed, what good does it do if the teacher is quiet when killing an intruder, the more commotion is caused the easier it is to alert other staff to the problem. Also I have a hard time understanding a clear cut definition on "a destructive device." I have my own doubts over whether a teacher should even have guns and whether or not the guns need to have a power of that magnitude, but that is what the debate is for.

Otherwise I have no beef with anything else.
chrisjachimiak

Pro

I completely understand where you're coming from with the firearm definition.
The other clarification that I would like to make is campus is High, Middle, and Elementary Schools.

Constructive Speech
Contention 1: Inherency
School shootings are tragic occurrences that have become far too common in our culture today by many standards. In light of some of the most recent events involving school shootings in Philadelphia, New Mexico and Colorado, as well as the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012, some state legislators are considering a new approach to the problem: licenses that allow educators to carry concealed weapons onto campus. The first known school district to institute such a policy was the Harrold Independent School District in Harrold, Texas, but numerous other districts have followed suit in recent years, with other districts considering the possibility rather seriously.

Contention 2: Harms
According to [1] since 2000 there have been 179 school shootings in the United States of America. The fact of the matter is that we as a country are allowing these killers to enter school and kill students. This harm is completely unacceptable. As a country we need to develop a plan that reduces these crimes. The Affirmative Plan Solves this.

Plan:
Plank 1: Madate: The United States should implement a plan in which all High School, Middle School, and Elementary School teachers will be required to know how to use and operate a handgun. This plan should also implement teachers taking a firearm saftey course.
Plank 2:
Mechanism: The United States will implement this plan by requiring all teachers to learn how to operate a handgun. This will require a handgun saftey course.
Plank 3: Funding: The funding for this plan will occur through a 1 penny increase on gas. According to think progress [2] raising gas 1 penny will transfer to a 5.8 billion dollar payday for the government. By requiring the Government to implement a gas tax, we can make enough money to pay for a handgun. On average, the typical handgun cost's between 500-800 dollars [3].
Plank 4: Enforcement: This plan will be enforced through the United States Department of Education, then transfered down the Each and Every School District to enforce this plan.

Contention 3: Solvency
The plan solves school shootings.
This plan, will increase the amount of firepower that is on school grounds. Countries like Switzerland [4] that require all citizens to own a handgun have the lowest crime rate of all counties in the world. As John Czarnecki PhD of Forensics at the University of Colorado Boulder once said, (2014) "The threat in public of law abiding citizens having weapons, and the training to do so, will always deter shooters not to follow through with what they plan on doing." Switzerland requiring all citizens to own a handgun deters the threat of violence.
School requiring teachers to have a handgun with them in class, will show shooters that there is more teachers with weapons to protect the students than him/her. This will deter them from ever stepping onto school grounds with the thought of killing students.

In the end, having proposed a thorough plan, and 3 contentions to back up this plan of the need for teachers to have firearms, I arge an affirmative ballot in today's debate.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://thinkprogress.org...
[3] http://www.cabelas.com...
[4] http://www.elist10.com...

dwcrabb

Con

dwcrabb forfeited this round.
chrisjachimiak

Pro

Seeing as there is no arguments for me to rebut, I will bring up some more.

My opponent obviously doesn't have any arguments against my plan, so therefore, the four planks of my plan still stand. I will restate the plan one more time, in hopes that my opponent will actually rebut my plan and 3 contentions.

Plank 2: Mechanism: The United States will implement this plan by requiring all teachers to learn how to operate a handgun. This will require a handgun saftey course.

The inherent barrier still stands, and as does the harms with the plan that the United States has already in place.

Thanks
dwcrabb

Con

dwcrabb forfeited this round.
chrisjachimiak

Pro

My opponent has once again failed to bring up some information for me to rebut. Therefore, I should win this debate.

1st Contention: Un-touched
2nd Contention: Un-touched
Plan: Un-Touched
3rd Contention: Un-touched
dwcrabb

Con

dwcrabb forfeited this round.
chrisjachimiak

Pro

I think it's clear who the winner is in today's debate. My opponent didn't even post an argument for either of his rounds. Therefore, the status quo in which my plan attacks falls, and I win.

Thanks, next time, if you aren't going to debate, then please don't accept.
dwcrabb

Con

dwcrabb forfeited this round.
Posted by imnotacop 2 years ago
imnotacop
Nice second account dude.....
Posted by Idiosyncratic 2 years ago
Idiosyncratic
I suppose those of you treating this with a non-serious mindset disagree with the notion of a school employee like a teacher (or perhaps a class security guard) being armed with a firearm. This is not a bad idea at all, unless you really would like to see more kids be killed and wounded in school shootings by mentally unstable or evil individuals. To have a responsible adult (teacher / guard) possessing a firearm with the intent to protect lives is a sensible idea. I see no issue.
Posted by UndeniableReality 2 years ago
UndeniableReality
Kill the children. That'll teach 'em.
Posted by Zack95 2 years ago
Zack95
LOL what kinda of nonsense is this?? your setting yourself up for a loss my friend.
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
If you change the voting requirement to make voters comment with their votes then I'll accept. Having the option to vote without leaving an RFD is begging for vote bombs.
Posted by imnotacop 2 years ago
imnotacop
You suck at categories dude...
Posted by Toxifrost 2 years ago
Toxifrost
Are you talking about colleges, high schools, middle schools, elementary schools??
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
no, land mines should be placed at certain locatios the kids can be taught to guide their way around so we can get the enemy and learn!
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
chrisjachimiakdwcrabbTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
chrisjachimiakdwcrabbTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff