hamdan
Kc716

Teachers should give marks to students without showing racism.

hamdan

Pro

Teachers should give marks to students without showing racism. Yes it's true. i have seen in some schools and some universities, teachers are showing racism in giving marks. They are giving more marks to the students those who are good for them and familiar to them. I'm strongly disagree with this kind of teachers. Some teachers are looking country wise to give marks. They are giving more marks to their own country students. What is the purpose of this?
Kc716

Con

Based upon the opposing sides wording, I am having some difficulty in discerning what they are proposing.
View 1 of what opposing side is saying.
If you take the plain letter wording of what opponents argument is, it it would be, "Teachers should give marks to students without showing racism."
I believe a simple response would be: "showing racism" is not the problem, instead it is the lack of showing racism that is worse. Consider this example, Teacher A: Gives student a grade of a C on a paper and in the comments writes "Irishmen cannot understand this topic because they are always drunk and therefore your opinion is terrible" Most likely this showing of racism would result in a grade protest and academic disciplines. However, if Teacher B shared teacher A's view about the Irish but did not outwardly show racism it would look like this Teacher B: Gives student a C on the paper because he assumes Irishmen cannot understand this topic, then writes in the comments "your lower grade reflects a failure of understanding of the topic" In both examples the grade was not based on the student's ability; instead, it was based on the racist teachers' view and student received a C. However, in the second example, when the teacher did not outwardly show racism, the student would likely have no knowledge of the teacher's racial motivation and he also would have to look harder to find some sort of proof. Therefore, in this example it is better for a teacher to show racism in marks, then it is to have racism underlying a mark but not be expressed.

View 2 of what Opposing side is saying.
In order to provide cognizant view for me to debate I will summarize and rephrase opponents argument into something more articulate. OLD ARGUMENT "Teachers should give marks to students without showing racism. Yes it's true. i have seen in some schools and some universities, teachers are showing racism in giving marks. They are giving more marks to the students those who are good for them and familiar to them. I'm strongly disagree with this kind of teachers. Some teachers are looking country wise to give marks. They are giving more marks to their own country students. What is the purpose of this?"

Opponents new argument:In my experience across several schools and universities, Teachers are subjectively grading students based upon various categories. These categories include whether they like the student 2. whether the student is agreeing with them and finally 3. Whether the student is foreign or of a different ethnicity. Subjective grading is bad and therefore teachers should dismiss them.

View 3 of what opposing side is saying (this one is probably off and utilized a lot of reading between the lines)
In my experience teachers are racist because they did not give me good grades and other people did get good grades.

ARGUMENT:
I will wait for opposing response before I write anymore, hopefully they can clarify and we can have a good discussion on the use of subjectivity in grading.
hamdan

Pro

My opponents view 2 is looking little bit confused. I meant that some lecturers are giving more marks to their own country students. They are not considering that students are talented or good in studies. I have this experience. If one student want to score high marks, their should always go to meet that lecturer, ask doubts always, and whenever they have time they should meet them. This is not the real way to judge a student.
Kc716

Con

Kc716 forfeited this round.
hamdan

Pro

hamdan forfeited this round.
Kc716

Con

Alright, it appears that Pro is basing his view on his sole experience. So lets have some fun and grade his writing as if he was in my classroom.

"My opponents view 2 (*1) is looking little bit confused.(*2) I meant that some lecturers are giving more marks to their own country students.(*3) They are not considering that students are talented or good in studies.(*4). I have this experience.(*5) If one student want to score high marks,(*6) their (*7) should always go to meet that lecturer, ask doubts always, (*8) and whenever they have time they should meet them.(*9) This is not the real way to judge a student."(*10)
*1. use of numeral under twenty should be written out -2 points.
*2 .verb does not agree with subject and tense is wrong -2 points
*3. passive voice and lack of subject verb agreement -4 points
*4. vague writing, uses they instead of teachers or graders, no verb only adverb -4 points
*5. terrible sentence but grammatically it is correct.
*6 should be wants not want - 2 points
*7 should be they - 2 points
*8 "ask doubts always" is not correct term or saying -2 points
*9 confusing and redundant - 2 points
*10 confusing, previous sentence discusses what a student should do, but then this sentence explains this is not the real way to judge a student. -2 points

Out of a completely arbitrary 24 points (four points possible on each sentence, with each mistake in that sentence -2 points) our Pro's total is 2 points out of 24 or 1 out of 12 or 8%.
Based upon this, I doubt that Pro's grades are as a result of his country of origin. Instead, I am arguing that they are based upon his inability to write in English. While English may be his second language and I commend him for attempting to write in it, it is absolutely absurd to state that you think your teacher is racist, xenophobic, whatever, solely based upon your failure to get good grades; especially when you are unable to write adequately in the language I assume you are being graded in.

I wanted to discuss objectivity in grading and that was not the way this went. However, vote for me, because I made an attempt.