BlueCat13
SactownBoom

Teachers should have guns in school

BlueCat13

Pro

I don't think that every teacher in schools should have guns, but some should. Also none of them should be forced to carry a gun. If indded they want to have a gun in their class they should have to have a mental eval than have training. They gun should be kept in a safe place where none of the kids know where its is and can't get to it. So yes I do think some of the teachers should have a gun it could save someone's life if not many.
SactownBoom

Con

No. Teachers should not have guns in school.

Let me first just say that I own a rifle, and am not an anti-gun person. I am not a member of the NRA because I disagree with their stances on many issues. This issue being one of those.

Pro says they can have the gun if
A. They want to be armed
and
B. They pass a mental evaluation
and
C. They get training

How much training is a teacher going to need? Well, how much training does a police officer or a SWAT team member get? It's going to have to be comparable to that if they are going to defend themselves (and/or their students) from an armed probably mentally deranged assailant. That's fine for people who have elected to go into public defense as a career, but that's not why a teacher becomes a teacher.

Pro also states that the gun be kept in a "safe place" where none of the kids know where it is. In order for a gun to be used in defense, it has to be accessible. That's just logic. If you can't get to a gun in a crisis situation, and get to it quickly, the gun is useless. And if that gun is accessible to a teacher, then it will be accessible to others as well, and possibly accessible in turn to a student. There rarely are any "secret locations" in schools.

7 states already allow teachers to carry guns. Like this teacher in Utah who accidentally discharged her gun

http://www.sltrib.com...

no one was hurt in that case, but what if a child had been around? Even experienced gun owners have accidents sometimes.

You're also opening the door to teachers who maybe don't have the greatest experience with handling guns. Say a teacher who has never fired a gun decides they want one. Pass the mental evaluation then goes through the "training" you say they can get. Now that person is packing heat. They will be making in some cases instantaneous decisions about whether or not it's time to pull their gun on someone. With a school shooter that decision is obvious. But what about an angry parent? What about an out of control student? What about a gang leader defending turf? I wouldn't pull a gun on those people, but some people will. And there will be shootings at schools. You haven't stopped the problem, you've accelerated it.

Letting teachers carry guns will ultimately cost many more lives than it saves.
BlueCat13

Pro

BlueCat13 forfeited this round.
SactownBoom

Con

Pro forfeited turn. Vote Con.
BlueCat13

Pro

BlueCat13 forfeited this round.
SactownBoom

Con

Pro has forfeited both chances to present his rebuttal to my argument. Vote for Con.

Posted by EccentricSenator314 8 months ago
EccentricSenator314
*Do NOT vote for Con; he is a childish egotistical narcissist, his arguments are of little to no substance, he's as hard-headed as a rock, and there's literally no point in explaining or discussing how or why he's wrong; his response is basically to cover his ears and scream until you stop talking, then claim he "won"!!!!! I do not condone of such arrogant behavior, vote for NOBODY and IGNORE THIS DEBATE because Pro didn't say anything to refute his points, and Con is a childish little retard who doesn't comprehend how to have a civil disagreement with other people. He thinks because he's online, his anonymity is guaranteed and he views this as Halloween: Throw a mask on and do whatever the f*ck I want, nobody sees my face!!!!! Do not feed his fickle emotions or his sick and conflated ego, I'm begging you not to. A vote for him has the same effect as uttering Donald Trump's name: He instantly has a shattering orgasm; again, I vehemently condemn such buffoonery.....*
EccentricSenator314
Hey numb-nuts, ever heard of CCW!!??? A teacher has to have CCW, becoming a Cop or a SWAT is NOT necessary to carry a concealed weapon!!!!! A "safe place" includes situations where the teacher always conceals the firearm on their person; if a teacher is to carry a firearm they MUST be alert as to their surroundings (Assuming that the teacher is a smart person, unlike you, and keeps it concealed on their person. If the teacher is reckless with the gun and allows it to easily fall into the wrong hands, then they are a sh*tty teacher and deserve to be fired. Yes, there are better ways to weed out sh*tty teachers, but why punish The People because some ignorant Shill allowed their gun to fall into the wrong hands!!???) Again, if the teacher CCWs, if they conceal and carry the weapon on their person and utilize safety features, the ONLY way that a bad actor (Including students) can obtain it is by physically overpowering the teacher (To be fair and account for most scenarios here, I'll state that such a feat is fairly difficult to accomplish). Accidents do happen, nothing in life is perfect, and no matter what sh*t will always find a way to slip through the cracks. With that being said, I would much rather responsible/mature/sane teachers be allowed to CCW, than have a psychopathic 21 year old mow down a classroom of 1st graders (Just to have Obama try cramming gun control legislation down our throats as a response. Gun-free zones attract mass shooters, you people are f*cking idiots!!! Improved mental health + abolishment of gun-free zones = Declining mass shootings, sh*ts not rocket science!!!!!) Read about the Bath School Disaster if you're a-scared of what a teacher might do (In a nutshell, teacher blew the school up stashing dynamite; guns aren't the only weapon...) Arming the teacher is the only way to curtail mass shootings!!! You hate the NRA!!??? I do, in ways (They don't do enough for us); GOA is lobbying for legal machine guns, my moneys on the big guns!!!!!)