spiderman12345
Link_of_Hyrule

Teachers should not be allowed to have guns in school

spiderman12345
Started: 1/19/2014 Category: TV

spiderman12345

Pro

Well I think it is a bad idea and school is a place that should be safe.
Link_of_Hyrule

Con

While teachers should not be allowed to have guns, there should be a trained security guard on every campus to protect the students from mass shootings; anyone could walk on to any school campus at anytime and kill as many people as he/she would want too under the current system because nobody can defend themselves, and that is a serious problem.
spiderman12345

Pro

My opponent has gave a small argument and they will be countered

Argument
School should be a safe place and providing a teacher with a gun will make students afraid of going to school and some teachers could be unstable and have mental health issues. Mental health issues can cause a serious problem in the brain and having mental health issues as some researchers stated changes the person personality. It has been shown through many shootings that it has been caused by mental health issues. So if a teacher has mental health issues and is unstable what is the point of giving them a gun. Basically having a gun in school in possession of a teacher basically could scare children into coming to school. Teachers have no right to carry guns in the hallways or having guns in the classroom. School shootings are not an excuse to have a gun in school. And also school safety has improved so there is no need for a gun in the hand of a teacher

Rebuttals
anyone could walk on to any school campus at anytime and kill as many people as he/she would want too under the current system because nobody can defend themselves, and that is a serious problem.

True but your statement is known as a little false. Ever since the Sandy hook shooting the chance of a mass murder decreases steadily. And school security has upgraded, also there has been plans on having lockdowns for many schools and it actually intends to work. So teachers do not need a handheld weapon.

While teachers should not be allowed to have guns, there should be a trained security guard on every campus to protect the students from mass shootings

You are supporting that teachers do not need a gun to defend themselves and yes there should be guards.

I am going to let you go state your argument
Link_of_Hyrule

Con

You gave a short summary of your argument in the first round, so I did the same. You are supposed to state a detailed version of your own argument before rebutting, but fine.

Rebuttals:

I've been to schools who are trying to implement these "improved" security measures and they are an absolute joke. One school was stupid enough to believe that simply locking some of the doors to the school during lunch would be better security. The reality of the situation is that no amount of "security" can stop a man with a pistol or an AR-15 unless the schools themselves have a trained professional with a gun on campus. Anyone who thinks that schools are actually taking effective measures to prevent school shotings are kidding themselves.

This contradicts your beliefs in the first rebuttal, and if we both agree that schools should have armed guards, we really don't have anything to debate, do we? When I accepted the debate, I assumed you meant you were against guns on school campuses at any capacity.
spiderman12345

Pro

Think about it what if a teacher had a gun. There would be a great chance for a child to actually take the gun and use it in school. Some children might snatch the gun while the teacher isn't looking and how many mass murders have you seen on TV lately ever since the sandy hook shooting? Basically none. School security has improved and it isn't stupid when someone locks the doors in the lunchroom and call it stupid. I had a lockdown once and my teacher covered the door. And when someone tried to open he couldn't open because of the lockdown plan. It is not very stupid indeed

Some teachers shouldn't even have a gun because what if a child is unstable and later on he gets on hold of it and causes a rampage. And you cannot always count on the person who has a gun will be a good guy teachers cause crimes also and if teachers cause crime what makes sense to give them a gun. The point of this debate was for me to show you that guns should not be in the hands of teachers and your point is that teachers need to have guns.

Here are my extra reasons

1) Teachers are there for learning not to become a police officer defending themselves with gun.

2) There will be probably less children attending the school and children do not perform well if they are nervous taking exams. They will become nervous if a teacher is having a gun in their classroom. The children will be scared if they think the teacher will shoot one of the students and end up becoming scared and nervous.

3) Teachers are not good supervisors. And they aren't because I bet you all of you out there know when your teacher leaves the classroom sometimes she may not leave a teacher watching the students the out come will be a child carrying a gun. Also what if you were at the back of the line next to the teachers desk and the teacher wasn't looking a child would be tempted to grab hold of the gun.

Showing all of this concludes that teachers should have no guns in their hands.
Your turn
Link_of_Hyrule

Con

Have you been completely ignoring everything I've said up to this point? Of course teachers should not have guns because none of them would know how to use them anyway; it would accomplish nothing. There should, however, be people who carry guns on schools that are trained to handle them safely and properly. Not only would this discourage people from even attempting school shootings, it would provide a way for them to stopped quickly once started.

As for school security somehow preventing school shootings, the very proposition is ridiculous. Nobody has attempted a school shooting since Sandy Hook; that is the only reason we haven't heard about it on the news. "Improved" school security has done absolutely nothing.

I didn't think it was possible for me to be any more clear about what my position is, but I guess you have not even been reading my arguments.
Posted by spiderman12345 3 years ago
spiderman12345
Because I dont know
Posted by PiercedPanda 3 years ago
PiercedPanda
why is this put under "TV"?
Posted by FeedFwd 3 years ago
FeedFwd
It seems to me that allowing teachers to have guns does not mean that all teachers will have guns or that there may not be restrictions. I do hope teachers are being screened with regard to mental stability, but given some of the cases in recent times with teachers hooking up with students and other ridiculous episodes, perhaps that is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Never forget, the police are only minutes away when seconds count.
Posted by BabyGurl03 3 years ago
BabyGurl03
Children can get to them to easily and I agree the teachers can lose there cool... you don't know whats going through there head.
Posted by ESocialBookworm 3 years ago
ESocialBookworm
Aren't rebuttals supposed to be after both people have said at least one point?
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
Teachers having guns is a bad idea. Teachers sometimes lose there cool.
Vote Placed by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 3 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
spiderman12345Link_of_HyruleTied
Reasons for voting decision: I have to give Pro argument points as Con agreed that teachers should not have guns which was Pros position to defend. Not sure why Con did not concede the debate and as such I give conduct points to Pro as well, as Con conceded in everything but actually saying it. No sources cited so no points. Spelling and grammar was equal between the debaters.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
spiderman12345Link_of_HyruleTied
Reasons for voting decision: R1 concession, why did the debate continue after?
Vote Placed by Wylted 3 years ago
Wylted
spiderman12345Link_of_HyruleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con immediately conceded the debate by agreeing to pro's argument that teachers should not be allowed guns. Con also attempted to change the resolution and lashed out when pro didn't allow it. Both things I would consider bad conduct.