Austin1061
LifeMeansGodIsGood

Teaching creationism in schools

Austin1061

Austin1061

Con

In April 2012, Tennessee passed a law that protects teachers who wish to teach creationism in public school.My opponent and I will debate whether or not academic freedom, mainly teaching creationism, should be allowed in public schools. I wish for the opponent and I to stay focused on the teachings of creationism in school by choice of the teacher.I will be arguring against this particular academic freedom. I believe that allowing the lecture of creationism in schools in a gateway for religion into the public school system.Round 1: Acceptance, basic viewpoint.Round 2: Main ArgumentRound 3: Rebuttals

Round 4:Rebuttals, Conclusions
LifeMeansGodIsGood

Pro

It is extremely important that all the children understand that they are here only because of random chance and life has no objective meaning or value so they can kill their babies before they are born and spread aids and hold hands with all the ungodly people and be good suckers for us to use.
Austin1061

Con

I will start my argument by stating my basic points on the topic.

- Creationism is a religious belief and not truth or fact.
- Education should be factual.
- Teachers shall not bring their beliefs into the classroom.

Also a reminder to myself, my opponent and viewers. The debate is focused on whether or not teachers should be allowed to teach creationism in school, not whether it is truth or false.

My stance is that teachers should not have the right to teach creationism in public schools. This so called "academic freedom" would be unjust to the education received by the students for the teacher. Firstly, creationism is a religious belief. Their is absolutely no science backing it's existence. As religion is not taught in public schools, creationism should not be either. Teaching creationism is teaching the students that a greater being does exist, persuading their minds to believe in such a being due to the fact they were taught that way. The belief of a greater being should be solely left up for the students to decide, with no influence from the public school system.

Secondly, education taught should be scientific facts. Evolution is widely renowned as the one acceptable scientific theory of human and life origins. Again, creationism is just a belief. Because evolution is the most widely accepted theory of origin, it should be the one that is taught in schools. This reasoning backs up why the teacher should not have the choice to teach creationism in school.

Creationism is how religious people describe life origins. Because religious people solely believe in it, creationism should have to place in public schools. An example is that bibles are not lectured from in public schools, so why should a teacher be allowed to preach creationism to the students. A teacher who would want to teach creationism is religious, and is only trying to persuade their students that a greater being exists, thus unjustly determining the students faith for them.

To sum it all up, teachers should not be allowed to teach creationism in schools due to the fact that is a religious belief and religion does not belong in public schools.

http://www.nl.idebate.org...
http://www.icr.org...
LifeMeansGodIsGood

Pro

is it really necessary to use that many words to justify hatred agaisnt God?
Austin1061

Con

My opponent has failed to give me his main argument. At this point, I understand that my opponent believes in creationism, but I do not know his stance on whether or not teachers should have the freedom to teach it in schools. There are no rebuttals that can be made presently.
LifeMeansGodIsGood

Pro

I thought I made it clear that there must be censorship of beliefs in the public schools lest the baby killing industry lose its subsidies. It is essential that children understand they can be aborted if they don't think right.
Austin1061

Con

My opponent says "I thought I made it clear that there must be censorship of beliefs in the public schools...". So it seems that he agrees on my standpoint. Although this baby killing industry makes no sense to me, I have no clue what he is trying to state with it.
LifeMeansGodIsGood

Pro

You have to control people's thinking so it is important to brainwash them into believing they don't have to answer to God. Doing that, you can make yourseff god over them as you teach them that they are god to themsevles. Isn't it great that you can do that? God bless America, amen?
Posted by MichaelPP 1 year ago
MichaelPP
This debate only seems like Pro wants to misrepresent people.
Posted by Samreay 2 years ago
Samreay
Con, it would be good to clarify what you mean by teaching Creationism. There is a vast difference between teaching it in a science classroom and teaching it in a religious studies subject.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
Austin1061LifeMeansGodIsGoodTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made no arguments.
Vote Placed by AlternativeDavid 2 years ago
AlternativeDavid
Austin1061LifeMeansGodIsGoodTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never gave an argument. Con also had sources, while Pro did not.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Austin1061LifeMeansGodIsGoodTied
Reasons for voting decision: LMGIG gave no good arguments
Vote Placed by Atheist-Independent 2 years ago
Atheist-Independent
Austin1061LifeMeansGodIsGoodTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con actually had an argument, Pro did not.