finn.b14
Vapeo

Teaching debating is an essential for the future of our generation

finn.b14

Pro

Teamwork and the expression of opinion is imperative in the workforce. Teaching debating in both primary and secondary schools shows students how to communicate effectively in order to resolve a dispute. Debating should be an essential and compulsory part of the curriculum.
Vapeo

Con

I disagree.

I believe intellectual thought is a priority, but it doesn't necessarily manifest in society in debating.
Therefore, debating is not necessary for the future.
Indeed debating is a useful skill, but not necessary.
Additionally, it isn't practical.

(i do love debating however)
finn.b14

Pro

Intellectual thought is a priority as the negative states however I believe that the skills of debating are an imperative component of this. These skills can uniquely be acquired from debating. Whilst sports and theatrical performances encourage teamwork, none develop a sense of resolution such as acquired during a debating preparation room.
Vapeo

Con

My opponent agrees with my that intellectual thought is a priority. However, debating is not necessarily a necessary or even important part of intellectual thought. I demand evidence for my opponents claim that no other activities " develop a sense of resolution such as acquired during a debating preparation room". Additionally, stating that you can only acquire skills of debating from debating is essentially a tautology, and does not further my opponents argument.

I restate that debating is not imperative, some of its benefit can possibly be achieved through other means in ways that hurts society less and is easily implemented.
finn.b14

Pro

In reply to the 'demand for evidence' put forward by the negative side, I bluntly ask the question encompassing my second point- "How can we best prepare our children for the challenges of the future?"

The negative believes that the benefits of debating can be achieved through other means that hurt society less and can be easily implemented. As the affirmative, I would like to hear an example of this other 'way'.

In my opinion, challenges in the future will include combating global warming, releasing first-world countries from debt, managing diminishing resources and effectively curing diseases and hunger in impoverished areas. By just looking on the internet we can find many solutions for these issues but all are flawed and include side-effects. Our generations need to be taught how to effectively compare these strategies to come to a resolution and debating seems to be the only skill which can be equipped to teach this. Teaching debating is essential for the future of our generation.
Vapeo

Con

Vapeo forfeited this round.
Posted by Vapeo 10 months ago
Vapeo
I have responded to our other debate, if you are still on.