Teaching young boys not to rape will work. (America)

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required
The Voting Period Ends In
Updated: 4 months ago Status: Voting Period

I STRONGLY believe teaching young boys not to rape won't work. Rape is looked down upon in America and we can;t have this idea that men and just people are inbred with idea that rape is fine or taught by society that it is. That's just utterly wrong.

Rape culture is the valuation of rape and the devaluation of ideas that speak against it. We are engrained to think that yes, rape is a bad thing, but it's not something that is extremely bad -- this is why there is a mindset difference between "aggressive rape" and "rape", while they are one in the same, people will likely only speak out against the former.

Let's look to a statistic put out by RAINN, in which they say that only 3% of all rapists ever serve any jailtime. Maybe it is misandrist to assume that men will rape, maybe we should inform all people to not rape from a young age (boys, girls), but that doesn't mean that there should not be any attempt to curtail it. When given the rules of society ("don't rape") from a young age, people incorporate that into their own worldview, and then there is an obvious removal of rape culture and valuation of rape.

My apologises for such a late reply. I have been very busy and nearly forgot abot this debate.

Let me quote RAINN for a second: "In the last few years, there has been an unfortunate trend towards blaming “rape culture” for the extensive problem of sexual violence on campuses. While it is helpful to point out the systemic barriers to addressing the problem, it is important to not lose sight of a simple fact: Rape is caused not by cultural factors but by the conscious decisions, of a small percentage of the community, to commit a violent crime." -
I think this speaks for itself. This clearly states that rapists are very well diversed in the idea that rape is bad, they just do it because they can and want to. Teaching boys not to rape will do nothing and if anything to a very negligable amount.

Now let's look at your "agressive rape" and "rape"
The crime, typically committed by a man, of forcing another person to have sexual intercourse with the offender against their will -

The keyword here is "forcing." I'm sure this word would usually convey a very agressive and violent message. This is why rape is usually thought of as this "agressive rape," but is that really a bad thing? Rape is still rape, if someone is raped, whether it be agressive or otherwise, people still do not appreciate or accept this rape.

For the "only 3% of rapists are arrested." These people debunk this way better than I ever could:

While it is quite an attempt, this attempt will sadly only lead to no results. America's society has no "rape culture" and this "teaching young boys not to rape" nonsense is just spreading this irresponsible ideology. It's your responsiblity for what you do and how you prevent danger. That's like saying, "Let's just teach robbers not steal" and "Let's just teach murderers not to murder." Many people are taking from this ideology that their safety is not their responisbilties and it's harmful to them and other weak-minded people and youth.

It is late at night and sadly don't much time to divulge further, I eagerly await your reply

That sources specifically addresses the concern that there might be some special types of people (black, white, latinx, etc) that will rape because it was a part of their culture -- that's not my argument. My argument is more nuanced, and it's that all of society has this belief that either rape isn't that bad, or that it should be awarded, though people never use the word 'rape'. RAINN actually, in that same report, supports the pro side of the debate.
"A prevention campaign should include the following ... General education to promote understanding of the law, particularly as it relates to the ability to consent ... ", where specifically the same document of your source says that education is vital to combatting some problem (whether that is cultural or not, I cannot say) as it relates to rape.

My point on aggressive rape was that there is some mental distinction that we have for rape to just further my point of a culture. Maybe I was right, maybe I was wrong, but it wasn't fundamnetal to my case.

When you say it is like teaching 'murderers not to murder', I have to disagree -- 1. that is anti-male as it assumes that all little boys are fundamentally rapists (lol, I joke), and 2. it's a lot more nuanced than just 'don't murder ok'. I would imagine if we are to teach young boys, and young girls, the way consent works, we will be able to fight against rape. Maybe that means we have people come into classrooms with rape survivors, maybe it's just another lesson for the teacher who gets red in the face, I don't know -- but understanding the ways that consent in achieved allows us to combat rape.

1) I checked my source. I even used Crtl + F but couldn't find any reference to race at all
2)" My argument is more nuanced, and it's that all of society has this belief that either rape isn't that bad, or that it should be awarded. " As I have stated before, this Rape culture is a false idea(at least in the US) and I would rather not repeat myself, look to the RAINN quote I posted.
3)When you have prevention campaigns like Slutwalk it makes this attempt at "educating" people a joke.
4)Now here's a problem. There is quite the debate over what consists as consent, when it can and cannot be given so that is quite the touchy area that I can't really step on because I still need to form my own opinion. What I know is that:
Regret =\= Rape and that Clothes =\= Asking for it.

This has been a great debate(though I have forgotten about it a few time.)Thank you for entertaining my first debate and have a great day

Thank you. I had the first round to make arguments, where you didn't (just openings), so I will cede this round for equal purposes.
Posted by whiteflame 1 month ago
>Reported vote: brant.merrell// Mod action: Removed<

4 points to Pro (S&G, Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: Don't get discouraged, con. It's your 1st debate and pro's 123rd. Phrases that lost include, "is that really a bad thing?" Which should have said something more like, "such cultural perceptions are accurate" . . . "rapists are very well diversed in the idea that rape is bad" - the word is 'versed' . . . "Let's just teach robbers not steal" - society regularly teaches children not to steal, and it's widely thought to work . . . "it is important to not lose sight of a simple fact: [insert conclusion as premise]" - your conclusion can't be your premise . . . use of the "=\=" - just use full sentences . . . etc. And of course winning phrases were all over Pro's arguments. *shrug* comes with experience.

[*Reason for removal*] (1) S&G is insufficiently explained. While the voter points out a number of varied problems with Con's S&G, it must be clear that these impeded understanding of the argument. In this case, it mainly just seems to be tips on how to write arguments better. (2) Arguments are insufficiently explained. The voter doesn't actually assess arguments made by either side, merely quoting some points made by Con and never assessing Pro's.
Posted by vi_spex 5 months ago
that long weekend
Posted by vi_spex 5 months ago
the argument i won no contenst
Posted by vi_spex 5 months ago
obviusly rape is bad.. you have no clue little lady, come to my house and you will know this
Posted by Forthelulz 5 months ago
Nice noobsnipe.