Niedermeier
tempah

Technology changed the role of women.

Niedermeier

Pro

Without the numerous advances in technology women would still be placed into that "homemaker" role. They were the first computers. Actually programming and coding into machines. Because of this they kept pushing in the labor forces and proving themselves to men that they can benefit society outside of the house.
tempah

Con

Firstly, appreciate the opportunity to debate on this topic, for I think it would be an interesting one, and would like to see more of your thoughts on the matter.

For my argument I shall take the position of con for which I believe that technology was the sole reason for women to switch roles, when in fact I believe that the combination of WW2 and the culture of the 60’s and 70’s caused different routes of income and diversifying roles between genders. In the next three rounds I shall clarify why this has happened in the form of my own opinion.

Niedermeier

Pro

Niedermeier forfeited this round.
tempah

Con

I was hoping for a reply, I would of like a decent debate. Perhaps its best to be consistently active when you start a debate.
Niedermeier

Pro

I got tied up and did not mean to forfeit. But I am confused though, because I believe we are arguing on the same same side. I do believe that Technology played a significant role in changing the role of women.
tempah

Con

No, I believe that technology does not have a direct and sole impact on which the role of women is changing. Throughout the period of the last 75 years the effect of World War 2 was so significant that it affected the roles of which both men and women now serve in today’s society. For example, woman had to take up factory work due to labour shortages in order to supply the frontline with; munitions, weapons, armoured vehicles and other essential equipment by which their countries needed. This wasn’t even including warfare supplies, professional roles that require education such as; doctors, rehab workers and perhaps scientific roles demanding more educated people and this forced women to step out of their normalized role of being the stay-home caretaker to being a significant income worker for their significant others. This change also influenced other major historic events such as; women’s rights, equality and education. This time period allowed women to demonstrate their potential and confidence. World War 2 also affected the male population, whereas obviously there was less of them to return to their former role as breadwinner.

The 60’s and 70’s followed with the now normalized effect of the multi-role gender society and progressed with a culture that influenced the generations to come. The post WW2 generation known as the “Baby Boomers” produced an exceptional amount of potentially dissatisfied youth as forthcoming citizens into reconsidering the course of the American/UK and other democratic societies. Post-war recovery encouraged the generation to move forward beyond the established lifestyle that had preoccupied their Depression-era parents, in such a movement that allowed them to also establish the current lifestyle of which we now undertake, including the roles that the baby-boomers and their parents were forced to assume. Over time, the women’s trends of the Sixties took was eventually established and the consequent decades altered relations between the sexes. By this time, most young women, at least in the middle-class, was respectively ordinary to have access to the same occupations and to obtain the same payment as men.

Poster byJ. Howard Miller was
made as an inspirational image
to boost worker morale
during
WW2.

Niedermeier

Pro

Niedermeier forfeited this round.
tempah

Con

I was hoping you would question my arguments so I could go into more depth with them or perhaps clarify anything. But as it seems, even if the case is due to misunderstanding is it you that is unfortunately at a loss.