atoy120
jh1234l

Technology has taken over.

Started: 9/14/2013 Category: Technology

atoy120

Pro

Technology has taken over
jh1234l

Con

I accept. Please state your case.
atoy120

Pro

Technology has taken over because all I see are people texting. Every time I go on a sidewalk or something like that, I get bumped a lot by people who are texting and not paying attention. Cell phones are a wonderful invention, but too many people are distracted by them. They should be just for calling. That's what they were intended for, but all these nerds had to put texting and stuff on it which is distracting and might endanger peoples lives like when people text and drive.
jh1234l

Con

Technology taking over means that people are relying on them too much. Such as not walking to the kitchen because you have a robot that takes care of that. The examples you have chosen shows that people are not using technology as it is intended to be used for (e.g. texting while driving) , and not that people are overrelying on it.

Only 34% of the people in the world have access to the internet.[1] How is that technology taking over?

Also, how do you define technology? If you define it as something that helps us do something easier or faster, then pencil, paper, wheels and stone tools are also technology.
(the use of science in industry, engineering, etc., to invent useful things or to solve problems is one of the merriam-webster definitions[2]) This makes the debate impossible, because technology is too broad. If you define it as electric gadgets, then it would be refuted because people don't seem to rely on gadgets much. Think of all the blenders and puree machines that you have in your garage. If we only talk about computer technology, then the fact that only 34% of the people in the world can access the internet refutes your claim.

[1]http://www.techandinnovationdaily.com...
[2]http://www.merriam-webster.com...
atoy120

Pro

34 percent of the world is about 2.5 billion. I bet that's more people than you thought. And that 34% is mostly the USA, China and India because they have the 3 highest populations in the world. Anyway, I define technology as electric gadgets. And your "internet" argument is invalid, because I said TECHNOLOGY has taken over, not the internet. But it has though. And I was making the argument that it is used not how it should be and that people over relying on it. Such as people think Facebook is a good way to make friends. Its not because you will probably never see then in real life, unless you know them in real life of course. I think Facebook is dumb anyway. People who use that type of stuff all the time need to get a life. People also over rely on it because if we put all our history on it, and someone hacks it and destroys it or something like that, then its gone. That's why using other methods works better than technology. Some computer technology is terrible anyway. If your still in school, you should know what "smart" boards are. They never work.
http://www.worldometers.info...
jh1234l

Con

jh1234l forfeited this round.
atoy120

Pro

I don't need to overkill it, just in case he gets back on. But I think I've made my point.
jh1234l

Con

Sorry for forfeiting. Vote Pro.