gwarrenster
BrettBoelkens

Technology in the classroom

gwarrenster has forfeited round #2.

gwarrenster

Con

I want to debate the level and types of technology that are appropriate for a secondary level classroom. Since the con-side is harder, I will take this side.

The debate format is relatively open. I do want the final round (3) to be for final replies only, no new arguments, but other than that, please feel free to use any citation format, and post in the round in any order.
BrettBoelkens

Pro

I would just like to say, this is the most unclear subject, perhaps ever. Is it should technology be used in a classroom? If this is indeed the subject of the debate, then I think I win almost automatically. If it isn't please explain what is.The answer is, of course, yes, for technology is defined as the application of knowledge for practical purposes, especially in industry. Pencils, pens, and papers are all technology, and they are almost required for any class whether it be mathematics, grammar, English, reading, speech and debate, drafting and design, principles of engineering, etc. Computers/electronic components are required for many classes, for example, coding, computers, computer aided design, robotics, electric theory, etc. And at least in the Western World, almost all attendance and grades are done via a computer system. One could even say a classroom itself is applied engineering whether it is a wooden hut or a fancy private school with a pool and a Starbucks.

But what if we don't have a classroom, pens, paper, desks, chairs, computers, etc. and we just have some teacher teaching on the mountain or such? What do you do with the diabetics? Or someone who requires a pacemaker? Or even a kid who eats peanuts and needs an EpiPen? Without technology, kids would just be dropping dead all over the place. This is under the presumption that you even have enough kids to have a class in the first place. Go back to stone age child birth, where many pregnancies ended up in death, of the mother, the child or both. Then since we wouldn't have farming technology, we wouldn't really even have time to teach a class, since well, you need to eat. Without any technology whatsoever, we aren't even living in the middle ages like in the Harry Potter series. It would be like being the hunter-gather Sentinelese people, who have lived in relative isolation for over 60,000 years. They have no agricultural practices or methods of producing fire. For all extents and purposes, they living in the Stone Age, with hardly any technology to speak of.

I'm quite sorry if this isn't your position I horribly straw-manned you. But admittingly, you weren't very clear.
Posted by MrBurns2017 7 months ago
MrBurns2017
More technology is always more preferable. I used to be a programmer for desktop, web and mobile apps. So I have some ideas on what to design.

You can design many apps that track students attendance, performance and provide access to material, lessons, drills, mock tests.

The alternative method is a more primitive one where you rely on a teacher who may be incompetent or simply on attending the class.

Look how many mobile apps there are on learning maths and practicing exam papers..

At the very least, the education system could adapt it to provide such technological assistance in addition to the primitive system that has a good chance of screw you over...
Posted by MrBurns2017 7 months ago
MrBurns2017

Look how many mobile apps there are on learning maths and practicing exam
Posted by james88 8 months ago
james88
technology in the classroom is becoming more and more predominant.
There are few benefits of using it.
It makes learning more fun and interesting
It prepares students for the future
It helps develop student's citizenship skills
It helps students stay engaged
_________________
Posted by james88 8 months ago
james88
There are few benefits of using it.
It prepares students for the future
It helps students stay engaged
_________________
Spanish to English https://spanishto-english.com...
Posted by NDECD1441 9 months ago
NDECD1441
Precisely. And a smartphone is too.
Posted by Ockham 9 months ago
Ockham
How are you defining "technology?" A chalkboard is technically a form of technology.