Technology is destroying children's education.

Started: 4/23/2014 Category: Technology

Technology is a good thing. You're supposed to use technology for research and a way to learn. There is nothing wrong with using it for entertainment. The problem with children is that they abuse it. They use the technology for more entertainment rather than for education. Therefore they're not learning as much as they actually could if they used the technology for educational purposes. I myself am only 14 years old, but I use the technology to learn new things. For example, using my home computer I've learned how to right computer programs and I'm ONLY 14. Now the average kid this day in age use the technology for only social media such as Facebook , Twitter, and Instagram.

I define destroy as "put an end to the existence of (something) by damaging or attacking it."
I define technology as "
machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge."

Technology isn't destroying education.

Look at education. Is it being destroyed by "machinery and equipment developed from the application of scientific knowledge"? No. Fire is not technology, at least not in this definition. As you can see it is not technology that destroys education, but this random fire the blackness in the background caused.

In my opinion being the age that I am (14) that kids my age are not learning because of technology. Texting for example has caused kids to not be able to spell the most common words because they always use acronyms and most of them don't even know what an acronym is nor do they know how to spell it! Technology is suppose to enhance learning and instead of kids learning from the internet which all the answers are at there finger tips they use the technology to play games etc. I'm not sure what you mean by black hole but the only black hole I see is in everyone's brain from the non consistency of learning which in turn we are suppose to be the future. So imagine the type of future it will be as technology is forever changing and all we are concerned with is the new IPHONE that comes out which most don't use it for its real operational functions anyway because they never take the time to learn. So yes technology is hurting us kids in the world. In schools there no more chalk boards but instead Ipads and white boards and the teachers barely know how to operate them to teach us. So how is technology helping us in school?

"In my opinion being..." Exactly. It's your opinion, not a matter-of-fact.
" So yes technology is hurting us kids in the world." And you need to prove kids=education. You have failed.
" teachers barely know how to operate them to teach us. " Nothing has proven this.
"So how is technology helping us in school?" One word: computers.
My opponent has failed to show how technology destroys education. I have shown fire destroys education, not technology. He has failed.
Vote con.

First of all , you're taking the word "destroy" too literal.
Second you said" And you need to prove kids=education." People don't even have to pay attention to see how most of the technology these days is hurting kids education. It is AS PLAIN AS DAY to notice this. It hurts them from the way they spell to the way they speak to the way they approach different situations.
Another thing you said " Nothing has proven this." Well I experience this EVERYDAY in my own classroom. How these teachers don't even know how to use these things. They go to training for it and they still don't know. So why would they(the administrators) have a person(meaning the teacher) TRY to teach us kids how to use these items and they can't even use them their selves?
Also while the teacher is explaining how to use these items such as the IPad, the student are using different items and apps such as IMessage to talk to other students and the teacher doesn't even notice it.

And computers may help SOME of the time, but not all of the time because most students only use the computers in school, while the teacher is watching but outside of school the students are only using the computers for entertainment.

What about during the summer? Children are not using the computers during the summer for education. During the summer most kids don't learn anything NEW.

Social Media is not helping us kids educationally . Not at all.

"Not all all" is pro's crucial mistake. He contradicts himself with the "sometime" he stated above.
Let me state a few of computer's uses.
--it can search up information within a few seconds
--you can contact your teachers within a few seconds
--a calendar can setup as a reminder as to what to do
--online social websites can help you interact with your friends
--bash into a bullies head :P
In conclusion technology can help in some ways.

First of all, I didnt say that anything was wrong with technology. Technology is a good thing, even a great thing. You're saying that i was saying that technology was a bad thing when it's not a bad thing at all.
Social media is a good thing too.
I was saying that the average kids abuse this. Also i was saying they don't use the computer's as a way to learn anymore.
If they did the children would be much smarter.
You were getting off topic. Maybe you were trying to change the topic because you know I'm right. I was never saying that technology was bad. I was saying that the average child uses the technology for ONLY entertainment.

Vote PRO

Online classes can help kids, especially if the parent admonishes their children to do so. I have proved in cases with strict parents, technology helps children.
Vote con.
Posted by Ycease 2 years ago
which side are you on?
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
wish i had seen this. i would've loved to debate it. want to debate it again?
Posted by rahul96 2 years ago
Ohk new is and newbie too :)

I go with technology. There is no way technology is ruining children life.
Posted by Ycease 2 years ago
So he tries to get off topic Mr. CEO
Posted by Ycease 2 years ago
Lol 9spaceking doesn't even know. Im giving facts. Lets see if he does better in round 3.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
lol ycease is failing against my troll argument. Let's see how he does next round.
Vote Placed by Dennybug 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro actually attempted to debate this. Could have easily been won but decided to troll then try and step back into it. Pro presented reasonable arguments. While Con did not